Connect with us
Monday,18-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

Under fire Abu Azmi retracts objectionable remarks on Aurangzeb

Published

on

Mumbai, March 4: Abu Azmi, Samajwadi Party (SP) MLA and party unit’s chief in Maharashtra, on Tuesday withdrew his controversial remarks in praise of tyrant Mughal ruler Aurangzeb, after facing intense backlash from leaders across all parties.

Azmi clarified that his statements were “twisted” and that he had no intention of disrespecting Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj or Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj.

Azmi had earlier sparked a political firestorm by asserting that Aurangzeb was “not a cruel leader.” His remarks were widely condemned, with critics accusing him of insulting revered Maratha figures. Many leaders called him “anti-national” and demanded a case of sedition being registered against him.

Following the uproar, Azmi posted a video on X defending his position.

“Yesterday, on March 3, when the Assembly ended and I came out, the media told me that the Chief Minister of Assam had compared Rahul Gandhi to Aurangzeb. In response, I spoke about Aurangzeb, but my words were blown out of proportion as if a storm had come. I have not insulted anyone,” he said.

He further emphasised his respect for national icons, stating, “I respect Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, Sambhaji Maharaj, Dr. Bhimrao Ambedkar, and all great men who stood for equality in society.”

Clarifying his comments on Aurangzeb, Azmi said, “When I quoted a historian’s book about Aurangzeb, I never spoke ill of any of our great men. But if my statements, which have been distorted, have offended anyone, I take them back. The Assembly has important work to do, and it should not be disrupted over this issue.”

Azmi’s retraction came after an FIR was filed against him at Thane’s Wagle Estate Police Station on a complaint by Shiv Sena MP Naresh Mhaske. He has been booked under Sections 299, 302, 356(1), and 356(2) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), and the case has since been transferred to Marine Drive Police Station.

The controversy erupted when Azmi, addressing reporters in Mumbai at the start of the Maharashtra Assembly session, responded to Assam CM Himanta Biswa Sarma’s comparison of Rahul Gandhi and Mamata Banerjee to Aurangzeb.

“Aurangzeb got several temples built. In Varanasi, he saved a Hindu girl from a priest who had an evil eye on her. He had the priest trampled by elephants,” Azmi had claimed.

He had further stated, “I don’t consider Aurangzeb a cruel ruler. During that era, power struggles were political, not religious. Aurangzeb’s army had many Hindus, just as Chhatrapati Shivaji’s army had several Muslims.”

Crime

Pune Emerges As Ground Zero Of NEET-UG 2026 Paper Leak As Shocking Details Emerge – Here’s All You Need To Know

Published

on

Pune: The NEET-UG 2026 paper leak probe has now turned into one of the country’s biggest education scandals, with the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) alleging that the operation may have originated from Pune. The investigation bureau claims that this happened through a network involving exam experts, teachers, middlemen, coaching contacts and interstate agents.

The National Eligibility cum Entrance Test (NEET-UG) 2026, which is India’s largest medical entrance exam, was conducted on 3rd May 2026 for over 22 lakh students nationwide.

The latest and most explosive revelation in the case is the alleged role of Pune-based beautician and self-proclaimed educational consultant Manisha Waghmare. Investigators believe that she is a key link connecting students, parents, coaching contacts and insiders with access to the confidential NEET question paper.

According to the CBI, Waghmare allegedly discovered that Pune professor Manisha Gurunath Mandhare was part of the National Testing Agency’s confidential NEET paper-setting ecosystem. Investigators claim Waghmare then approached Mandhare and allegedly helped build a leak network around her access to the examination system.

The probe alleges that Waghmare, using her beauty parlour business and education-related contacts, identified wealthy and desperate NEET aspirants willing to pay huge sums for advance access to exam questions. The CBI told the court that deals worth nearly Rs 10 lakh per student were allegedly struck. The money was reportedly meant to be shared among the accused involved in the operation.

The investigation has revealed what officials describe as a highly organised interstate network stretching from Pune to Nashik, Gurugram and Jaipur. CBI officials allege that confidential Biology questions were accessed through Mandhare, who was allegedly appointed as an NTA subject expert for botany and zoology. Investigators claim she had direct access to the final question papers before the 3rd May NEET-UG 2026 examination.

According to the agency, Mandhare abused her official role and leaked confidential material in exchange for money. The CBI further alleged in court that retired teacher Prahlad Vitthalrao Kulkarni was also brought into the conspiracy. Another accused, Shubham Khairnar from Nashik, allegedly helped circulate the leaked content further through counselling and coaching contacts.

Investigators claim the paper eventually travelled through WhatsApp messages, PDFs and interstate coaching networks. One leaked PDF allegedly reached Gurugram-based accused Yash Yadav before being circulated further in Jaipur. The case first exploded after teachers in Rajasthan reportedly noticed that questions from leaked “guess papers” matched the actual NEET exam held on 3rd May. A whistleblower allegedly alerted authorities after comparing the leaked PDF with the final paper line by line.

Soon after, the National Testing Agency came under massive scrutiny. The centre ordered a nationwide CBI probe, and the entire NEET-UG 2026 examination was cancelled. More than 22 lakh students across India were affected. So far, at least nine arrests have been made from different states, including Maharashtra, Rajasthan and Haryana. Among the biggest names in the investigation is Pune-based Professor Manisha Mandhare, who has emerged as one of the central accused.

According to the CBI, Mandhare has been teaching Biology to class 11 and 12 students for nearly 24 years and has worked at Modern College of Arts, Science and Commerce in Shivajinagar since 2020. Due to her academic experience, she was allegedly appointed by the NTA for confidential examination-related work. Investigators claim she conducted private coaching sessions at her Pune residence before the examination. During these sessions, selected students were allegedly asked to note down “important questions” and mark sections in textbooks that later appeared in the actual exam.

The CBI told the court that this was not an isolated leak but part of a much larger organised crime syndicate operating across states. The agency said several more accused are yet to be identified and arrested. During Sunday’s hearing, the CBI sought 14 days of custody for Mandhare, arguing that the investigation is still at a very sensitive and early stage. The court accepted the request.

Mandhare’s lawyers opposed the custody demand and argued that she is a 57-year-old lecturer who has cooperated with investigators and does not require police custody. However, the court sided with the CBI, considering the seriousness of the allegations.

Meanwhile, the Progressive Education Society and the college administration described the arrest as serious, unfortunate and condemnable. College authorities said disciplinary proceedings would be initiated against her as per service rules.

The scandal has also intensified scrutiny of India’s coaching industry and the security of national entrance examinations. Investigators are now examining digital devices, WhatsApp chats, financial transactions, courier records and possible vulnerabilities within the NTA system.

The centre has already announced a re-examination on June 21 and is also considering major reforms, including shifting NEET to a computer-based format from 2027 to reduce the risk of future paper leaks. As the investigation deepens, Pune has emerged as the suspected ground zero of a scandal that has shaken the credibility of India’s medical entrance examination system.

Continue Reading

Crime

Mumbai Crime Branch Arrests Two Accused From Borivali In West Bengal Bomb-Hurling Incident Linked To Post-Election Violence

Published

on

Mumbai: The Crime Intelligence Unit (CIU) of the Mumbai Crime Branch has arrested two accused from Borivali in connection with a bomb-hurling incident that took place outside an Ashram in West Bengal’s Murshidabad district. A case in this regard was registered at Berhampore Police Station following the incident that occurred on May 14, shortly after the West Bengal election results were declared.

The arrested accused have been identified as Roky Khan (24), a driver and resident of Kandi Hotel Para, and Sahadat Sarkar (35), a worker and resident of Gram Natun Pura. The Mumbai Crime Branch completed the court formalities and obtained a two-day transit remand to hand over the accused to the West Bengal Police.

According to police, the case was registered based on a complaint lodged by a grocery shop owner, Pashupathinath Saha, a resident of Majiherpara Post Office area under Berhampore Police Station in Murshidabad district. In his complaint, he alleged that accused Ali Hossain alias Laden, Hasan SK, along with three unidentified associates, were involved in the incident, are wanted.

The complainant stated that he runs a grocery shop near an Ashram in the Majihipara area. On May 12, unidentified persons allegedly tore down photographs displayed on an electric pole in front of the Ma Durga Temple adjacent to the Ashram. Police said that on May 13 at around 10.45 pm, the accused along with their associates allegedly hurled socket bombs in a vacant field in front of the Ashram, creating panic and disturbing public peace in the locality.

The following morning, on May 14 at around 10.30 am, the accused allegedly arrived on motorcycles and stopped outside the complainant’s grocery shop. They allegedly threatened the complainant with further bomb explosions if the incident was reported to authorities.

Following registration of the offence on May 15, the investigation revealed that the wanted accused had fled their residence and escaped to Mumbai by the Gitanjali Express to evade arrest. The information was subsequently shared with the Mumbai Crime Branch.

Acting on the input, the CIU team traced and detained the two accused at Borivali Railway Station during the early hours of May 17. During interrogation, their suspected involvement in the case was confirmed, following which the investigating officer from West Bengal arrived in Mumbai for further legal formalities.

Continue Reading

Business

Panic Buying In Palghar Amid Fuel Shortage Rumours: Long Queue Seen At Petrol Pump Along Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway

Published

on

Palghar: Long queues of vehicles, especially two-wheelers, were seen at petrol pumps along the Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway amid rumours of a fuel shortage. The motorists claimed that they were waiting for more than an hour to refill their vehicles.

the scenes were captured at the Asian Petrol Pump in Charoti, where long queues of vehicles stretched outside the fuel station as residents feared limited fuel availability. Not just this, the report also claimed that several petrol pumps across Palghar district reportedly witnessed similar crowds, with panic buying increasing after rumours of fuel supply disruptions.

Meanwhile, the alleged rumours triggered people amid Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s recent appeal to citizens to reduce fuel consumption and adopt sustainable practices to help the country manage global economic disruptions.

Earlier on May 15, a similar scene was witnessed along the Maharashtra-Gujarat border, where long queues of vehicles were seen at several petrol pumps, as people rushed to fill petrol and diesel before the revised fuel rates came into effect. Visuals showed all kinds of vehicles, including trucks, cars, motorcycles and other commercial vehicles, lined up outside fuel stations, leading to heavy rush and congestion near the pumps.

Meanwhile, a similar incident was reported in Akola, where a scuffle broke out among farmers at a petrol pump over alleged fuel unavailability. Visuals showed several men fighting while standing in a crowded queue at the fuel station.

On May 10, PM Modi appealed to people to increasingly use public transport systems, including metro services, and adopt environmentally responsible practices to reduce pressure on fuel consumption and foreign exchange outflows.

Continue Reading

Trending