International News
Trump rejects deal with Iran, seeks global help on Hormuz
Washington, March 15: US President Donald Trump has rejected a potential deal with Iran to end the ongoing conflict, saying the proposed terms were “not good enough yet”, even as he called on countries around the world to deploy naval forces to help secure the Strait of Hormuz and keep global oil shipments moving.
In a wide-ranging telephone interview with NBC News on Saturday, Trump said Iran had signalled interest in negotiations but insisted Washington would not rush into a ceasefire agreement while the war continues.
“Iran wants to make a deal, and I don’t want to make it because the terms aren’t good enough yet,” Trump said in the interview.
Asked what the terms of a possible agreement would include, the president declined to elaborate. “I don’t want to say that to you,” he said, though he suggested that abandoning nuclear ambitions would likely be central to any deal.
The remarks came as the war between the US, Israel, and Iran entered its third week, with fighting spreading across the Middle East and global energy markets shaken by tensions around the Strait of Hormuz.
Trump said the US is urging countries affected by disruptions to oil shipments to help secure the strategic waterway.
“They’ve not only committed, but they think it’s a great idea,” Trump said when asked about possible international participation.
Earlier in the day, Trump also appealed publicly for a multinational effort to protect the route.
In a Truth Social post, he wrote that “Many Countries, especially those who are affected by Iran’s attempted closure of the Hormuz Strait, will be sending War Ships, in conjunction with the United States of America, to keep the Strait open and safe.”
He added that he hoped nations including China, France, Japan, South Korea, and the UK would deploy naval vessels to the area.
The Strait of Hormuz is widely regarded as the world’s most critical oil shipping lane, carrying a large share of global crude exports.
The president also confirmed in the NBC interview that US forces had carried out strikes on Kharg Island, a strategic Iranian oil export hub.
“We totally demolished Kharg Island, but we may hit it a few more times just for fun,” Trump said.
However, he said US forces had deliberately avoided destroying key energy infrastructure on the island.
“Except, as you know, I didn’t do anything having to do with the energy lines, because having to rebuild that would take years,” he added.
The fighting has already taken a toll on US forces. According to reporting by The New York Times, six American service members died this week when a US Air Force refuelling aircraft crashed in Iraq while supporting operations linked to the war.
The crash brought the total number of American service members killed in the conflict to at least 13.
The conflict has also spilled across the region.
According to The Washington Post, the US Embassy compound in Baghdad was struck in an attack early Saturday. Air raid sirens sounded, and smoke was seen rising from inside the diplomatic compound after an explosion damaged a structure on the roof.
The embassy warned Americans not to approach the facility because of security risks.
Iran-aligned militias have carried out multiple attacks across Iraq in recent days, targeting diplomatic facilities, infrastructure, and locations linked to the US and its allies, according to reporting by The New York Times.
Iran has also continued missile and drone attacks across the Gulf region. The governments in the UAE, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain reported intercepting numerous drones and missiles during the latest wave of strikes.
Despite rising tensions and surging oil prices, Trump dismissed concerns that higher gasoline prices could hurt his political standing.
“I think they’ll go lower than they were before, and I had them at record lows,” Trump said, predicting prices would fall once the war ends.
“I’m not concerned at all,” he added. “The only thing I want to do is make sure that Iran can never be the bully of the Middle East again.”
The war began after the US and Israel launched a joint military campaign against Iran on February 28, targeting military infrastructure and facilities linked to Tehran’s missile and drone programmes.
Since then, the Strait of Hormuz has emerged as the central geopolitical flashpoint in the conflict. Iran has threatened to block tanker traffic through the narrow passage, raising fears of a major global energy shock and prompting the US and its allies to consider naval operations to keep the route open.
International News
Sensex ends flat, Nifty gains marginally as oil surge, US-Iran tensions weigh

Indian equity markets ended on a mixed note on Friday, with the benchmark indices largely flat as global equities retreated following a rebound in bond yields, while rising crude oil prices amid simmering tensions between the US and Iran kept investors cautious.
The Sensex gained just 3.11 points to settle at 77,540.83, while the Nifty edged up 20.15 points, or 0.08 per cent, to close at 24,252.00.
Commenting on Nifty technical outlook, experts said that the 24,000–24,200 zone remains the key support base, reinforced by heavy Put open interest at the 24,000 strike.
“On the upside, this week’s high of 24,360 falls within the broader 24,300–24,400 resistance zone, making this the immediate hurdle for the index,” an analyst stated.
“A sustained move above 24,360–24,400 could trigger a quick advance towards 24,500–24,600,” a market expert mentioned.
Despite the marginal gains in the day’s session, both the Sensex and Nifty declined for the second consecutive week, reflecting continued concerns over global market conditions and geopolitical risks.
Among the major Nifty losers, Trent, Maruti Suzuki India and InterGlobe Aviation came under pressure and ended among the top-performing stocks on the downside.
The broader market, however, showed some resilience. The Nifty MidCap index rose 0.1 per cent, while the Nifty SmallCap index gained 0.69 per cent.
Sectorally, the Nifty FMCG, Nifty Auto and Nifty IT indices underperformed the broader market. In contrast, the Nifty Metal and Nifty Private Bank indices emerged as the key outperformers during the session.
Experts said that market sentiment remained cautious as investors continued to track movements in global bond yields, crude oil prices and developments surrounding tensions between the US and Iran.
“The elevated global bond yields continue to cause worry in the market. The recent US Treasury’s move to ease the bond yields failed to provide lasting comfort, given surging crude prices and persistent inflation fears,” the analyst stated.
International News
Baloch group condemns Pakistani airstrikes in Balochistan, calls for international probe

The Baloch National Movement (BNM) organised a protest demonstration and rally in the Netherlands condemning the recent airstrikes by the Pakistan air force in Balochistan’s Surab district that reportedly killed more than 30 civilians, including women and children.
Addressing the rally, the BNM activists described the Surab attack as a severe “humanitarian tragedy” and criticised the international community’s silence over what they described as the growing threats to civilian lives across Balochistan. They stressed that human rights conditions in the province have been deteriorating rapidly.
Expressing deep concern over civilian casualties, including women and children, the demonstrators urged international bodies to take immediate notice of the bombardment in Surab and bring those responsible to justice.
The incident took place in the early hours of August 12 when the Pakistani air force reportedly carried out indiscriminate bombardment in residential areas in the Gidar area of Surab, killing civilians and causing significant damage to properties.
“Participants appealed to the United Nations, the European Union, and global human rights organizations to conduct an independent and transparent investigation into the Surab incident to establish the facts. They also called on Dutch civil society, political leaders, and European nations to pay attention to ongoing rights violations in Balochistan and advocate for the affected families,” the BNM stated.
The BNM activists reaffirmed their resolve to continue raising awareness across the Netherlands and other European nations, while calling for civilian protection and the restoration of human rights in Balochistan.
Earlier this week, the President of the Baloch American Congress, Tara Chand, wrote to US President Donald Trump seeking urgent intervention over Pakistani military airstrikes in Surab.
In his letter addressed to Trump, Chand wrote, “We respectfully urge your administration to investigate these serious allegations and determine whether any US-origin aircraft, weapons, drones, technology, components, or other military equipment were used in the reported operation.”
On behalf of the Baloch community, he also urged the American administration to investigate the reported airstrikes and civilian casualties in Surab, determine whether US-origin military equipment or technology was involved, and conduct appropriate end-use and compliance reviews of relevant US defence equipment supplied to Pakistan.
Chand further called on the American authorities to support an independent investigation and accountability for any violations of US law, arms-transfer conditions, or international humanitarian law as well as review relevant US military assistance or transfers if credible evidence establishes that such equipment was misused against Baloch civilians.
“Mr. President, a Baloch child’s life is as precious as the life of any child anywhere in the world. We are not asking the United States to prejudge the evidence—we are asking your Administration to establish the truth, protect civilians, and ensure accountability. We would welcome the opportunity to provide available documentation and meet with appropriate US officials regarding this urgent matter,” the letter mentioned.
International News
Hasina calls 2004 Dhaka grenade attack one of Bangladesh’s ‘most brutal, shameful’ chapters

Marking the 22nd anniversary of the 2004 deadly grenade attack on an Awami League rally at Bangabandhu Avenue in Dhaka, former Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina described the tragedy as one of the most “brutal and shameful” chapters in the country’s history.
The Awami League mentioned that during the attack, twenty-four leaders and activists of the party and its associate bodies were killed, while over 300 others suffered splinter injuries.
Among those killed were Ivy Rahman, then Mohila Awami League chief and also the wife of former Bangladesh President Zillur Rahman.
According to the party, many of those injured became crippled for life, while Hasina, then opposition leader, narrowly escaped the attack with ear injuries, from which she continues to suffer.
The Awami League alleged that the “barbaric attack” on August 21, 2004, was carried out by terrorist group Harkat Ul Jihad (HuJI) at the behest of the then Bangladesh Nationalist Party-Jamaat-e-Islami coalition government.
In a statement shared by the Awami League on its social media platform X, Hasina recalled the attack, saying it was aimed at destroying democratic politics in Bangladesh.
“The attack sought to destroy our democratic politics and once again bring the politics of confrontation into the mainstream – a trajectory that had begun with the assassination of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman and his family on August 15. We are subjected to propaganda claiming that we were responsible for destroying democracy in Bangladesh,” Hasina stated.
Urging the younger generation to examine Bangladesh’s history objectively, she said, “I want to tell the new generation: study history objectively. Look at who carried out the August 15 assassination. Who killed the four national leaders inside a secured prison? Who seized state power illegally by establishing military rule? Who enacted the Indemnity Ordinance? Who formed the so-called “King’s Party”? Who sought to eliminate political opponents through grenade attacks in an attempt to consolidate their grip on power?
The former Prime Minister further alleged that the forces favouring an anti-independence political agenda had regained ground in Bangladesh following August 5, 2024
“Those who have repeatedly sought to steer Bangladesh along an anti-independence political trajectory re-emerged on the political stage after August 5, 2024. Deceiving the people and conspiring to assassinate me and destroy the Awami League were the principal objectives of August 5. Further evidence of this is the killing of numerous leaders and activists of our party across the country since August 5, along with physical attacks and baseless cases brought against them,” Hasina mentioned.
She reaffirmed that the Awami League would remain steadfast in their determination to overcome all obstacles and build the “Sonar Bangla” envisioned by Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman — “a secular, modern, and welfare-oriented Bangladesh.”
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
