Business
Sensex, Nifty open sharply lower amid negative global cues
Mumbai, Nov 7: The Indian benchmark indices opened with notable losses on Friday, amid weak global cues and FII selling.
As of 9.25 am, Sensex was down 532 points, or 0.64 per cent, at 82,778 and Nifty dipped 162 points, or 0.64 per cent, to 25,347.
The broadcap indices outperformed benchmarks in terms of losses, with the Nifty Midcap 100 down 0.89 per cent and the Nifty Smallcap 100 losing 1.26 per cent.
SBI Life Insurance, Trent, Apollo Hospitals, ICICI Bank were among the major gainers in the Nifty Pack, while losers included TCS, Titan Company, Tata Consumer and Shriram Finance.
Nifty Consumer Durables was the biggest sectoral loser, down 1.38 per cent. All the sectoral indices were trading in the red, with IT, auto and realty slipping over 1 per cent.
Analysts said that huge shorting by FIIs are overpowering the DII and investor buying in the market. The success of the FII strategy of sustained selling in India and moving money to cheaper markets has emboldened them to continue the strategy and continue shorting the market, they added.
“Short covering can lead to trend reversal but there are no immediate triggers for that in sight. FII selling has reduced the prices of fairly valued large caps particularly in banking and pharmaceuticals where growth prospects continue to be bright,” said Dr. VK Vijayakumar, Chief Investment Strategist, Geojit Investments Limited.
India Inc’s second-quarter FY26 earnings, however, showed a stronger-than-anticipated performance with a 14 percent year-on-year earnings rise by companies in key sectors, especially midcaps.
The US markets ended in the red zone overnight, as Nasdaq dipped 1.9 per cent, the S&P 500 declined 1.12 per cent, and the Dow lost 0.84 per cent.
Asian markets also slipped into losses tracking the selloff in US stocks amid concerns over expensive valuations of artificial intelligence companies.
Most of the Asian markets were trading in red during the morning session. While China’s Shanghai index lost 0.17 per cent, and Shenzhen dipped 0.17 per cent, Japan’s Nikkei lost 2.16 per cent, while Hong Kong’s Hang Seng Index lost 0.98 per cent. South Korea’s Kospi dipped 2.57 per cent.
On the Thursday, foreign institutional investors (FIIs) sold equities worth Rs 3,263 crore, while domestic institutional investors (DIIs) were net buyers of equities worth Rs 5,284 crore.
Business
Fresh tariff war adds pressure to strained US-Canada relationship

Washington, Aug 22: A trade confrontation between the United States and Canada escalated sharply on Saturday after last-minute negotiations collapsed, triggering 50 per cent US tariffs on billions of dollars in Canadian goods and a promise of dollar-for-dollar retaliation from Ottawa.
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney suspended the negotiations and ordered his country’s team to return from Washington. He accused the United States of changing its proposed terms at the last minute.
“Last-minute changes in the U.S. proposed terms were unfair, uneconomic, and called into question the reliability of any deal,” Carney said.
“At midnight tonight, the US intends to impose a 50% tariff on roughly $28 billion of Canadian goods. Canada will match those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” he said.
The Office of the US Trade Representative blamed Canada for the breakdown. It said Ottawa declined to finalise an agreement under terms reached earlier in the week.
“Despite the US offer to Canada to receive the best treatment of any major exporter to our market, new demands and walk backs of other commitments by Canada have upended the careful balance reached in the past days,” it said.
The US side said its offer included significant tariff reductions covering steel, aluminium, automobiles and lumber. It also proposed cooperation on export controls, transshipment, digital trade, critical minerals and imports made with forced labour.
The package would have included supply-chain coordination in aerospace and the announcement of formal negotiations over the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement, or USMCA.
“This is a missed opportunity for Canada to partner with the United States, which is the fastest growing economy in the G7,” the US Trade Representative said.
Carney said Canada had sought tariff-free access for most Canadian businesses, greater stability in bilateral trade and lower US tariffs on strategic industries. Ottawa also wanted to protect small and medium-sized businesses while retaining its independence and economic flexibility.
“We have recognised from the beginning that America has changed, and that we will not return to our old relationship,” he said. “Throughout, our goal has been to secure the best deal for Canadians, never a deal at any price or on any deadline.”
Carney said his government would announce additional assistance for Canadian workers and businesses in the coming days. That would build on nearly $25 billion in support provided during the previous 18 months.
US Senator Peter Welch, a Vermont Democrat and member of the Senate Finance Committee, urged President Donald Trump to withdraw the tariffs.
“These new 50% tariffs on Canadian goods are a continuation of the president’s chaotic economic policies, and a slap in the face to businesses and farmers in Vermont and northern border states across America,” Welch said.
“For the sake of American businesses, American farms, and American families, I urge President Trump to drop these tariffs and find an off-ramp to his reckless trade war,” he added.
Welch is the lead sponsor of the Creating Access to Necessary American-Canadian Duty Adjustments Act. The proposed legislation would exempt American-owned small businesses from tariffs imposed on Canada. He also supports the bipartisan Trade Review Act, which seeks to restore Congress’ role in trade policy.
The latest tariffs add pressure to an already strained relationship. Earlier US duties on automobiles, metals and forest products had prompted retaliatory Canadian measures, while Trump’s repeated remarks about Canada becoming the 51st US state fuelled anger and calls in Canada to reduce its economic reliance on the United States.
Business
Bitcoin nears $80,000 in its biggest weekly rally in 3 years

New Delhi, Aug 22: Bitcoin surged toward the $80,000 mark on Saturday, on track for its strongest weekly gain in more than three years amid optimism of traders related to a spike in bond yields.
The cryptocurrency jumped as much as 4.8 per cent over 24 hours and was trading around $78,588 as of 9:10 am. Bitcoin (BTC) gained 0.6 per cent in the past hour and 24.5 per cent across the past week, marking a strong weekly rally as traders assessed a new initiative from the US aimed at fiscal consolidation.
Such a weekly advance was not experienced by the cryptocurrency since March 2023. Bitcoin last traded near $80,000 in May 2026.
Analysts said the rally was driven partly by a US Treasury announcement that it would double its long‑dated bond buybacks, a move that pushed long yields lower and lifted risk appetite across markets.
The announcement forced the liquidation of billions of short positions, amplifying the price move in crypto, market participants said.
Meanwhile, gold also reached its highest level since May after concerns rose among investors that the intervention in the bond market will weigh on the dollar.
US President Donald Trump’s meeting with executives from crypto firms such as Coinbase Global and Payward was also taken as a positive indication about the administration’s favourable stance to crypto.
Institutional buyers returned to the market this week, with the US-listed spot Bitcoin exchange-traded funds set to clock their largest weekly inflows since January.
Collectively, 13 ETFs have seen inflows of over $1 billion so far this week, further driving the bullish mood in crypto.
Bitcoin remains far below its peak near $126,000 seen in October 2025, followed by a major sell-off that bottomed out at $58,642 in late June 2026.
Business
Maha CSR Authority proposed for fund utilisation: CM Fadnavis

Mumbai, Aug 21: Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Friday directed officials to submit a proposal to establish the ‘Maha CSR Authority’ to ensure a more effective, transparent, and coordinated utilisation of Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) funds in Maharashtra.
He noted that because various CSR initiatives are currently being executed independently at different levels, a central authority is needed to provide a unified platform for these efforts.
The CM will head the Authority, while senior state officials and industry representatives will serve on the Governing Council. The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) will work as Member-Secretary of the Governing Council and Head of the Executive Council.
CM Fadnavis stated that the proposed ‘Maha CSR Authority’ should focus on coordinating, monitoring, and ensuring the proper deployment of CSR funds.
He directed authorities to prepare a high-quality “project bank” aligned with government priorities and make it accessible to corporations and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
He also said the authority should help eligible Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) select suitable projects and NGOs, while promoting exemplary CSR practices across the state.
The core objective of this initiative is to extend financial backing to priority government projects through CSR funding when necessary.
The initiative will also place special emphasis on maintaining and repairing projects funded through CSR.
CM Fadnavis pointed out that many projects become non-functional after a few years because they lack maintenance funds.
To avoid this, he instructed that the proposed CSR authority prioritise the upkeep and repair of older projects.
The Chief Minister also suggested exploring the concept of ‘Diaspora Connect’ to mobilise CSR and social development funds through the participation of Maharashtrians residing abroad and outside the state.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
