Connect with us
Monday,17-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

SC refuses to entertain WhatsApp-Meta pleas against CCI probe into privacy policy

Published

on

The Supreme Court on Friday upheld the Delhi High Court order, which dismissed the appeals filed by WhatsApp and Facebook (now Meta) challenging a single judge bench order refusing to stay the Competition Commission of India’s (CCI) probe into alleged abuse of dominant position practices by WhatsApp in connection with its 2021 privacy policy.

Senior advocate Kapil Sibal, representing WhatsApp, submitted that the Personal Data Protection Bill is coming and the Solicitor General told the Constitution bench to hear privacy policy matter in January. He said, “if a constitutional court finds that my policy is okay and consistent with the law, this cannot go on.”

Sibal contended before a bench comprising Justices M.R. Shah and Sudhanshu Dhulia that how can they probe in the meantime, while the issue of the privacy policy is pending? He added, “We’re saying don’t let the CCI pass final orders till this court’s order comes”.

The bench said the CCI is an independent body and the question is if your conduct is contrary to the Competition Act, correct? It added, “We can observe that contentions be kept open by CCI”.

Additional Solicitor General N. Venkatraman submitted that data qua the 2021 policy is with WhatsApp, and it is being used in a dominant way for their ads, resulting in possible abuse. The concentration of data with a particular company results in abuse, he added.

Sibal said WhatsApp has a privacy policy, individual’s data is not shared and if I want to book a ticket, I use a business app, and the person I book with can share it. “WhatsApp is not sharing”, he said, adding that this is applicable to every platform in the country and also the Indian apps.

After hearing arguments, the top court said the CCI is an independent authority to consider any violation of the provisions of the Competition Act of 2002, and no interference is required by this court in the high court order.

The bench added that when proceedings are initiated by CCI, it cannot be said that it’s without jurisdiction, and the CCI cannot be dissuaded from investigation and alleged violation of Competition Act, 2002.

Dismissing the petitions, the top court said any observations of the high court in proceedings are to be treated as tentative and prima facie, and the matter is to be considered on its own merits.

In August this year, the Delhi High Court dismissed the appeals filed by WhatApp and Facebook (now Meta) challenging the single judge bench’s order which had refused to stay the Competition Commission of India’s (CCI) last year’s order.

National News

Congress social media chief faces BJP heat over ‘false’ claims on flag hoisting during I-Day celebrations

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 16: Congress social media chairperson and Working Committee member Supriya Shrinate is in the eye of storm over circulation of two old videos pertaining to 80th Independence Day celebrations while alleging that the BJP leaders hoisted party flags instead of the Tricolour on the occassion.

The BJP quickly fact-checked the claims, stating that neither of the videos were related to Independence Day events.

Shrinate had claimed that one of the videos was from Chhattisgarh, while the other was from West Bengal. In the first instance, she shared a video purportedly showing BJP workers raising the party flag instead of the national flag at Swami Vivekanand Mangal Bhavan in Kurud, located in Dhamtari district of Chhattisgarh.

“For 53 years, their ancestors boycotted the Tricolour — even today, they never tire of insulting the national flag,” the Congress leader wrote in a post on X while sharing the video.

Following the post, the BJP filed an FIR against Shrinate over the allegation and accused her of using an old video and presenting it as footage from the Independence Day celebrations.

Former Chhattisgarh Minister and senior BJP leader Ajay Chandrakar strongly criticised Shrinate and said, “The Independence Day program is of national importance. It is celebrated in governmental and personal capacities both in the country and abroad. The Congress Party has used the national festival as a medium to defame the BJP.”

“The BJP organisation of Dhamtari district has, by filing an FIR, demanded action against Mallikarjun Kharge, Jairam Ramesh, Supriya Shrinate, and Pawan Khera as well. Immediate action should be taken on this,” he added.

Chandrakar himself hoisted the national flag at the official district-level Independence Day ceremony in Dhamtari. Subsequent clarifications established that the video shared by Shrinate was from a BJP event held at the same venue in March this year, during which the party flag had been raised.

Shrinate also shared another video while making a similar allegation. In her post, she claimed that West Bengal Labour and Transport Minister Arjun Singh had raised a BJP flag instead of the Tricolour and described him as a “galeech deshdrohi” (a wretched traitor).

However, the second video was also found to be old and unrelated to the Independence Day celebrations.

Responding to Shrinate’s allegation, Singh said, “This video is not from the Independence Day programme. The video is from the inauguration of my office in Barrackpore, which took place on 6th July, 2026, on the birth anniversary of Dr Syama Prasad Mookerjee Ji.”

“The parties and some individuals spreading such fake narrative and propaganda should have verified the facts before circulating it and should have corrected their mistake. It is such disgraceful action, highly condemnable. I am going to take legal action against the parties and persons for deliberately spreading propaganda against me,” he added.

Congress is yet to respond to these remarks.

Continue Reading

Crime

Trinamool-linked woman panchayat chief among 3 arrested in Bengal Cong leader murder case (Lead)

Published

on

Kolkata, Aug 16: The police on Sunday arrested three persons, including one Trinamool Congress village panchayat chief, in connection with the murder of a Congress leader, Anisur Rahman, and his 24-year-old son Abu Sufian at Bethuadahari under Nakashipara Police Station in West Bengal’s Nadia district.

The incident had happened late Saturday night. Fatema Bibi, the head of Haranagar village panchayat in Nadia district, was one of the three persons arrested here. Her husband, Jubbar Sheikh, an influential Trinamool leader in the area, has been in judicial custody, and the local Congress leadership accused him of being the mastermind behind the murders of Anisur Rahman and Abu Sufian.

In addition, two of Fatema’s associates, namely Ali Mandal and Mithun Sheikh, have also been arrested. They have already been produced in the court after a medical examination in the morning. The police have sought custody for three of them.

It is learnt that Anisur Rahman and Abu Sufian were returning home in a four-wheeler on Saturday night. At that time, the miscreants blocked their road and allegedly fired several rounds of bullets. The car was forcibly stopped, and the father and son were beaten with sharp weapons. According to sources, both died on the spot due to excessive bleeding.

After receiving information about this incident, the police from the Nakashipara police station reached the spot.

The Congress leadership in the Nadia district has claimed that the country’s oldest national party was fast occupying the principal opposition space in the district after the landslide defeat of the previous ruling party, Trinamool Congress, in the recently concluded Assembly polls.

“Anisur Rahman and his son were playing the key role in regaining our party’s space as the principal opposition force in the state. That is exactly why the father and the son became an eyesore for the local Trinamool Congress leadership, especially Fatema Bibi and his currently jailed husband, who had always been involved with all sorts of notorious and anti-social activities in the district. But no one expected that the sequence of events would take such a nasty turn. It was not just a simple murder. The assassin rather wanted to leave a message through the ghastly manner in which the father and his son were killed,” said a local Congress leader.

West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee was observing a ‘black day’ throughout the state as a mark of protest against the assassination. Both the current and former state Congress presidents, Suvankar Sarkar and Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury, have demanded a speedy probe in the matter and the strictest punishment for those involved in the murder.

Continue Reading

Crime

MCD sanitation worker stabbed to death in Delhi Kalyanpuri; accused at large

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 16: A sanitation worker employed by the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) was stabbed to death while on duty in Delhi’s Kalyanpuri area on Sunday morning.

CCTV footage reportedly shows the accused attacking the sanitation worker with a knife. A Delhi Police team is currently examining the footage and other evidence to trace the assailant.

The deceased has been identified as 24-year-old Anil Kumar, an MCD sanitation worker. According to preliminary information, Anil was performing his duties in Kalyanpuri around 7 a.m. on Sunday when he was attacked with a knife, officials said.

The accused fled the scene after the incident.

Upon receiving the information, the police arrived at the scene and initiated an investigation. Officials said that multiple teams have been formed to apprehend the accused using the CCTV footage.

Following the incident, BJP Trilokpuri MLA Ravi Kant visited the site and condoled the death of the worker.

Speaking to media , he described it as a “deeply tragic” event. “While the rest of Delhi sleeps, it is these workers who perform the task of waking the city up. We stand in solidarity with the victim’s family,” he said.

The BJP MLA stated that the perpetrator has been identified and that strict action will be taken against him.

Kant further said, “I have seen the CCTV footage. Anil was doing his job when the accused suddenly approached and attacked him.”

Meanwhile, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) Kondli MLA Kuldeep Kumar spoke to media, stating, “A sanitation worker was brazenly murdered in Kalyanpuri. Has Kalyanpuri become the crime capital? Murders are taking place all over Delhi.”

“Think about the plight of the family of a sanitation worker who performs his job. When he collects garbage, it is not because he enjoys the work; due to financial circumstances and the inability to find other employment, he is compelled to collect garbage. He has been murdered,” Kumar said.

He further demanded a police encounter of the accused to “set a precedent and ensure no one else commits such a crime”.

The AAP MLA also demanded that the victim’s family be provided with compensation and that a family member be given a job.

Continue Reading

Trending