Connect with us
Tuesday,18-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

SC allows NBE to schedule NEET-PG 2025 exam on August 3

Published

on

New Delhi, June 6: The Supreme Court on Friday allowed an application filed by the National Board of Examinations (NBE) seeking permission to schedule the National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET)-PG 2025 on August 3.

A Bench of Justices Prashant Kumar Mishra and Augustine George Masih took note of the submission that August 3 was the earliest possible available date given by its technology partner for conducting the NEET-PG 2025 examination in terms of the recent apex court order.

Allowing the application filed by the NBE to conduct the NEET-PG 2025 examination on August 3, the Justice Mishra-led Bench clarified that no further time extension will be allowed by the top court.

In an order passed on May 30, the Supreme Court deprecated the practice of conducting the NEET-PG exam in two shifts and opined that holding the examination in two shifts leads to arbitrariness and cannot give a level playing field to the candidates.

It ordered the NBE to make necessary arrangements for holding the NEET-PG 2025 examination in one shift, duly ensuring that complete transparency is maintained and secure centres are identified and commissioned.

“The question papers in two shifts can never be of the same difficulty level. Last year, it (NEET-PG 2024) may have been held in two shifts in the facts and circumstances of that stage. But the examining body ought to have considered making arrangements for holding the examination in one shift,” the Supreme Court had remarked.

The apex court was dealing with a clutch of petitions challenging the lack of transparency in the conduct of the NEET-PG examination.

In their plea filed before the apex court, NEET-PG aspirants claimed that the introduction of two shifts, normalisation method, and change in the tie-breaker criterion affected medical students adversely. The petitioners said that NEET-PG had never been held in two shifts before and had always remained a single-shift and single-day examination to ensure a uniform examination standard and fairness of the national test.

National News

Fire breaks out on second floor of ATC building at Kolkata airport, flight operations hit

Published

on

Kolkata: A sudden fire incident in the early hours of Tuesday caused widespread panic at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) Airport, Kolkata.

It is learnt that the fire broke out on the second floor of the Air Traffic Control (ATC) building at Kolkata Airport. However, due to the swift response of the firefighters and airport authorities, the fire was brought under control very quickly. At the same time, flight operations remained unaffected. The situation at present is completely normal.

According to airport staff, the security guards and other staff on duty suddenly saw flames coming out of the second floor of the ATC building at around 4 a.m.

Before they knew it, the fire started spreading to a specific part of the building in a matter of moments. The area was covered in black smoke.

As soon as the news was received, the fire station’s engines adjacent to the airport rushed to the scene. The firefighters started extinguishing the fire quickly. Since the ATC building is a sensitive and important part of the airport, no risks were taken. Several more fire engines arrived at the spot to bring the situation under control. Soon, the fire was completely brought under control within a short time due to the efforts of the firefighters. Later, cooling down work was also done so that there was no new danger from the pocket fire.

An airport official said, “The fire was mostly confined to an open area. There has been no major disruption of work or damage to ATC. There was no need to evacuate the entire building as the firefighters were quick to identify the source and contain the fire.”

An investigation has already started into the exact reason why such a fire broke out in such a secure and important high-rise building. Firefighters suspect that some decoration work was recently done on the second floor of the ATC building on Independence Day and small decorative lights were installed there.

It is suspected that the fire broke out due to the decorative lights being on for a long time or due to a short circuit in the weak wire of the decorations. However, a probe is underway to find out whether there is any other electrical or mechanical malfunction or negligence in maintenance behind this fire.

Continue Reading

Business

India-Israel FTA talks to see two more rounds, deal expected to take shape by February 2027: Israeli envoy

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 18: Israel expects two more rounds of negotiations with India on the proposed free trade agreement, with the two sides likely to have greater clarity on the pact by February 2027, Israeli Ambassador to India Reuven Azar said.

In an interaction with media, Azar said the second round of negotiations was held last month, following an agreement on the terms of reference reached at the end of last year.

“We expect to have two more rounds, one in October and probably the last one by February and I think that by then we will know exactly where we stand,” he said.

Asked about the potential benefits of the FTA for both countries, Azar said discussions have so far focused on traditional market access issues, but the negotiations also cover areas such as reciprocal buybacks and cooperation.

He said bridging the gap in market access could be challenging because Israel has already lowered its tariffs and the two markets differ considerably in size.

However, the Israeli envoy identified high-tech cooperation as an area with significant potential for expanding bilateral economic ties.

“The greatest potential, I think, lies in high-tech cooperation,” he told media.

Azar further noted that greater innovation cooperation between the two countries could encourage Israeli companies to operate more freely in the Indian market.

The envoy’s comments come amid efforts by India and Israel to deepen their economic and technology partnership.

Earlier in May, Azar highlighted six core values underpinning the bilateral relationship — civilisational resilience, the fight against terrorism, democratic values, innovation & competitiveness, religious tolerance, and inclusive development.

India and Israel share a special and unique relationship and stressed the need to translate their common values into greater cooperation and investment, according to his video shared on X.

Continue Reading

National News

A day after organisational reshuffle, BJP appoints new in-charges for Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Gujarat

Published

on

New Delhi : A day after announcing a major reshuffle of the national office-bearers, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Tuesday appointed new state in-charges for Uttar Pradesh, Punjab and Gujarat, with the appointments coming into effect immediately.

According to a press note, the BJP national president Nitin Nabin appointed national general secretary and Rajya Sabha MP Vinod Tawde as the new in-charge of Uttar Pradesh. National secretary Jagdish Ishwarbhai Patel has been appointed co-in-charge of the state, headed to polls early next year.

For Punjab, the party has appointed national general secretary and Rajya Sabha MP Dr Satish Poonia as state in-charge while Tarun Chugh, Rajya Sabha MP and the BJP’s national headquarter in-charge, has been appointed in-charge of Gujarat.

The party said the appointments would come into force with immediate effect. It added that appointments for the in-charges of other states would be made in due course and that the existing arrangements would continue until fresh appointments are announced.

The latest appointments come a day after the party president unveiled a new national team, marking a significant organisational overhaul under his leadership. The BJP’s national reshuffle brought a mix of experienced leaders and newer faces into key positions, with the party emphasising a balance between continuity and organisational renewal.

The restructuring assumes significance as the BJP prepares for a series of state-level political challenges and the longer-term run-up to the 2029 Lok Sabha election. The new organisational appointments are expected to strengthen coordination between the party’s central leadership and its state units.

The BJP’s new national team was announced on Monday. The reshuffle included several senior leaders retaining or receiving prominent organisational responsibilities, alongside the induction or return of other prominent figures.

Piyush Goyal was appointed national treasurer, a move that has drawn attention because of his role as Union Commerce and Industry Minister and his vast experience in the party organisation.

Former Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje was appointed as national vice-president while former Union Minister Smriti Irani marked a comeback as the party’s General Secretary.

Alongside Irani, Roop Kumari Choudhary’s elevation as Mahila Morcha President further sought to strengthen BJP’s women‑centric outreach, particularly in states where the party is keen to expand its base.

The North-East found representation through Biplab Deb, the former Chief Minister of Tripura, who has been appointed General Secretary.

Continue Reading

Trending