Connect with us
Tuesday,18-August-2026
Breaking News

disaster

Rain Fury Day 3: Situation Turns Grave In Many Parts Of Punjab, Haryana

Published

on

Chandigarh: While five persons were killed due to heavy rains in two different incidents in Haryana, the flood-like situation turned grave in several areas of Punjab especially in Ropar, Patiala and Jalandhar districts as the downpour continued to batter several parts of the two states for the third consecutive day on Monday.

According to reports reaching here, three persons including two children were killed in a landslide that buried their kutcha hutment located near the Shiv Lotia temple in Pinjore area of Panchkula district. The deceased were identified as Akash, 19, Kartik, 7 and Priyanka, 5. Details about the tragic incident were awaited. In another incident, a man and his wife were killed after the roof of the room they were asleep in, collapsed in village Sagga in Karnal district due to heavy rains in the wee hours of Monday. The neighbours came to know about the incident when they saw the room-collapse in the morning.

Army to the rescue

Meanwhile, the Army teams from Western Command along with the teams of civil administrations rescued scores of people since Sunday as the governments of the two states had sought help from the army for the rescue operations in the flood-hit areas, especially in Ropar, Patiala, Mohali (Punjab) and Panchkula and other areas of Haryana.

The Army teams rescued about 900 students and about 50 others from the campus of a private university located in the Rajpura town of Patiala district after the area got inundated due to the heavy rains and flood-like situation. According to reports reaching here, floodwaters had also entered the premises of Rajpura thermal power plant leading to severe damage to power supply.

The situation was said to have deteriorated due to a breach in the overflowing Sutlej Yamuna Link (SYL) canal in Rajpura. The damage of the flooding waters could also be seen in the entire region where a score of roads were reported to have washed away in both the states. Elsewhere in Punjab, about 50 persons were also rescued from a village in Ferozepur district, while the Army engineers also helped plugging several canals in the states and helped in rescue operations in different areas of Patiala and Jalandhar districts.

Schools shut till July 13

Meanwhile, the Punjab chief minister Bhagwant Mann announced holiday in all schools across the state till July 13 in the wake of continued downpour. The Chandigarh administration also ordered the UT schools and colleges to remain closed till July 13 due to heavy rainfall in the region.

Meanwhile, while the incessant rains continued to pound several areas in Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar held an emergency meeting with senior officials as Yamuna Water level reached close to “warning mark’’ while other rivers Ghaggar, Tangri and Markanda close to “danger level’’ on Monday. He directed the officers to take timely evacuation steps for the people living in the low-laying areas around them.

Meanwhile, a statement issued by the Haryana State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) said that about 800 individuals had been rescued from the flooded areas since Sunday.

Landslide on Chandigarh-Shimla highway

The Chandigarh-Shimla highway was blocked for vehicular traffic on Monday afternoon due to a landslide at Datyar, near Parwanoo, due to the heavy rains in the hill state for the third consecutive day.

24 trains cancelled

Meanwhile, around 24 trains running on the Delhi-Ambala route were cancelled following inclement weather in North India Monday.

disaster

Two drown, three rescued as seven girls go bathing in Ganga River in Patna’s Bakhtiyarpur

Published

on

Patna: A tragic incident occurred at Ranisarai Ganga Ghat in Patna’s Bakhtiyarpur block on Monday when seven girls from the same family got caught in the strong current while bathing in the Ganga Rive Three were rescued by locals, while four others went missing.

The incident occurred at around 7:30 a.m. According to local residents, the girls, who were cousins, had gone to the ghat to bathe. One of them reportedly moved into deeper water and began struggling. When the others attempted to help her, they too were caught in the strong current. People present at the ghat immediately launched a rescue effort. Several locals entered the river and managed to bring three girls to safety.

However, the remaining four were swept into deeper water and could not initially be located.

The missing girls have been identified as Aarti Kumari (21) and Nandani Kumari (16), daughters of Awadhesh Chandravanshi; Radhika Kumari (15), daughter of Kamlesh Chandravanshi; and Babli Kumari (6), daughter of Mantu Chandravanshi.

After being informed about the incident, police and administrative officials reached the spot.

An SDRF team was subsequently deployed to conduct a search operation in the river.

During the search, two bodies were recovered, while efforts to locate the remaining two girls are continuing.

The strong current and depth of the river are making the search operation difficult, with SDRF personnel searching different sections of the river.

As news of the incident spread, family members and villagers gathered at the ghat and demanded immediate deployment of an SDRF team.

Amid frustration over the reported delay in launching the search, villagers briefly blocked the road for around 20 minutes, disrupting traffic.

The blockade was later lifted after the rescue operation began.

A large number of relatives remain at the riverbank, anxiously waiting for updates as the SDRF continues its search.

The incident, involving several children and young women from the same family, has left the entire area deeply shaken.

The bodies have been sent to the Barh Subdivisional Hospital for the post-mortem.

Continue Reading

disaster

Assam races to repair flood-damaged embankments: Himanta Sarma

Published

on

Guwahati, Aug 12: The Assam government is working in “mission mode” to repair and strengthen flood-damaged embankments across the state, with four of five breach points in Jorhat district already restored, Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said on Wednesday.

Taking to X, CM Sarma said the state administration was working on a priority basis under the #AssamFloodResponse initiative to repair and strengthen embankments and prevent further damage in vulnerable areas.

“In Jorhat, work at 4 of the 5 breach points is already complete, with the remaining work at Shalmara nearing completion,” the Chief Minister said.

The progress comes as the state continues to strengthen its flood-control infrastructure following damage caused to embankments at several locations. Embankments play a crucial role in protecting Assam’s flood-prone settlements and agricultural areas from rising water levels.

Breaches in these structures can lead to rapid inundation of villages, farmland and infrastructure, making timely restoration critical.

The government has been directing officials and field agencies to accelerate repair works at vulnerable locations and reinforce embankments to improve their resilience against future flooding.

The Jorhat works are among the ongoing measures being undertaken as part of the state’s wider flood-response efforts. The completion of four breach points is expected to strengthen protection in the affected areas, while work at Shalmara is being expedited for early completion.

Assam remains particularly vulnerable to annual floods because of its extensive river network, including the Brahmaputra and its tributaries.

Flooding frequently affects habitation, agriculture, roads and other public infrastructure across several districts.

The state government has also been focusing on preventive measures, including strengthening embankments at vulnerable stretches and improving preparedness before subsequent waves of flooding.

CM Sarma’s update highlights the administration’s emphasis on rapid restoration of damaged flood-control infrastructure while simultaneously working to strengthen embankments against future threats.

The Chief Minister said the government would continue working in mission mode, underscoring the priority being accorded to flood management and protection of vulnerable communities.

Continue Reading

disaster

School bus catches fire in Jaisalmer; all 25 children escape safely

Published

on

Jaipur, Aug 11: A private school bus carrying around 25 children caught fire near Dhauva village in Rajasthan’s Jaisalmer on Tuesday, said officials, adding that all were saved and there were no casualties or injuries.

According to the officials, the bus was travelling through the area to pick up students from nearby rural areas when smoke suddenly began billowing from the engine compartment. Within seconds, flames erupted, triggering panic among the children and staff.

The driver immediately pulled the bus over to the roadside and, along with the bus staff, evacuated all 25 children to safety.

Their prompt action helped avert what could have been a major tragedy. The fire spread rapidly, and within minutes the entire bus was engulfed in flames and reduced to a charred wreck.

The bus was reportedly approaching Dhauva village when smoke was first noticed coming from the engine area. As soon as the fire was detected, the driver stopped the vehicle and ensured that every child was safely evacuated. Just minutes after the children were moved away from the bus, the flames engulfed the entire vehicle. Families and local residents breathed a sigh of relief after learning that all the children had escaped unharmed.

Villagers immediately informed the local administration and fire department about the incident. Fire tenders from the Jaisalmer Municipal Council reached the spot, and firefighters began efforts to bring the blaze under control.

After sustained efforts, the fire was extinguished. However, by then, the bus had been completely gutted.

A short circuit in the vehicle’s electrical system is suspected to be the initial cause of the fire.

The exact cause is yet to be confirmed. Police and the relevant departments are investigating the incident. Fortunately, no children or staff members sustained physical injuries.

The incident has once again raised concerns about fire safety equipment, vehicle maintenance and mandatory fitness inspections for school buses.

Parents have called for stricter mechanical and electrical inspections of school vehicles in the district to help prevent similar incidents in the future.

Continue Reading

Trending