Connect with us
Tuesday,18-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

Priyanka attacks Yogi govt over ‘pathetic’ condition of cow shelters

Published

on

Congress General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Wednesday targeted the Uttar Pradesh government, saying that the condition of cow shelters in the state was “pathetic”.

She alleged that the state government is not doing enough for improving the condition of cow shelters.

Priyanka Gandhi posted on Twitter, “The Chief Minister is going to Braj which is an inspiration for cow service, and hope he will do something to improve the condition of cow shelters. Since five years, the condition is pathetic and the government is not doing enough.”

She also tagged newspaper reports on the condition of cow shelters.

In July, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath had directed officials to conduct a thorough pre-monsoon inspection of all cow shelters in the state.

He had asked the officials to ensure adequate arrangements for green fodder and straw, among other things, for the cattle.

Strict action would be taken against the officer or employee concerned in the shelter, where the death of a cow is reported due to mismanagement, he had said.

On June 9, 2020, the Uttar Pradesh Cabinet had approved the Prevention of Cow Slaughter (Amendment) Ordinance, 2020.

According to the ordinance, for the first offence, a person can be jailed for one to seven years with penalties ranging from Rs 1 lakh to Rs 3 lakh, while for the second offence, the person can be imprisoned for 10 years with a fine up to Rs 5 lakh.

National News

‘Had to bow down’: BJP as Jharkhand govt agrees to students’ key demands

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 18: As Jharkhand student leader Devendra Nath Mahato called off his hunger strike after the Hemant Soren government cancelled examinations and recruitment processes for government jobs following weeks of student protests, the BJP on Tuesday congratulated the students and said the Jharkhand government had been forced to ‘bow down’.

Speaking to media, BJP Bihar president Sanjay Saraogi said, “Congratulations, the students have won. The examination has been cancelled. But an organised group is operating in Jharkhand, leaking examination papers. What is the problem with a CBI enquiry? There should definitely be a CBI enquiry. The students’ future is at stake. They are on hunger strike and protesting. So, what is the problem with having a CBI enquiry?”

Bihar Minister Ramkripal Yadav said, “The government of Jharkhand had to bow down. By bowing down, it means that they have accepted that they made a mistake. The government realised that it had made a mistake. If a CBI investigation is conducted, the truth will come out.”

BJP spokesperson R.P. Singh said, “The students are absolutely right in saying that they will not withdraw their protest until a CBI enquiry is conducted. This has been their demand from the beginning. The cancellation of the examination is a separate issue, but an investigation is essential to find out who committed the scam. The Chief Minister there is running away from the investigation.”

BJP MP Praveen Khandelwal said, “I believe that along with the steps taken by the Jharkhand government, it is also important to calm the students. If some of their concerns remain unresolved, the Jharkhand government should engage in dialogue with them. It would be better to hold discussions and resolve the students’ issues.”

JD(U) MP Sanjay Kumar Jha said, “Absolutely, this was the demand. What happened in Delhi and what happened with the students in Ranchi is in front of all of you. You have all seen what happened with the students in Ranchi. The kind of irregularities that came to light in the examination, given the way it was conducted, this was bound to happen.”

AAP Chief National Spokesperson Priyanka Kakkar said, “The students led a very peaceful protest, which is a good thing. The government has listened to their demands, and we hope their concerns will be addressed. We stand with the students in every way.”

Meanwhile, four students, including student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, ended their hunger strike on Tuesday after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of all examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) and TDPL. However, the JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum has announced that its agitation will continue over its demand for a CBI probe into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

The four protesters, Devendra Nath Mahto, Umm-e-Habiba, Prem Nayak and Kush Mahto, ended their hunger strike at around 1.15 a.m. at Ranchi Sadar Hospital after the state government’s decision. Ministers Deepika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari offered them juice to formally end the fast.

Speaking after ending his hunger strike, Mahto said, “Today, on the 16th day of our hunger strike, we ended our fast in a dignified manner. With the joint initiative of Jharkhand Health Minister Irfan Ansari, Minister Deepika Pandey and our MLA Jairam Mahto, we decided to suspend our hunger strike. All the demands for which we had been protesting constitutionally and peacefully have been fulfilled.”

Continue Reading

National News

Students end hunger strike as Jharkhand govt cancels JSSC-CGL, TDPL Exams; agitation continues over CBI probe

Published

on

Ranchi : Four students, including student leader Devendra Nath Mahto, ended their hunger strike on Tuesday after the Jharkhand government announced the cancellation of all examinations conducted by the Jharkhand Staff Selection Commission (JSSC) and TDPL. However, the JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum has announced that its agitation will continue over its demand for a CBI probe into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

The four protesters, Devendra Nath Mahto, Umm-e-Habiba, Prem Nayak and Kush Mahto, ended their hunger strike at around 1.15 a.m. at Ranchi Sadar Hospital after the state government’s decision. Ministers Deepika Pandey Singh and Irfan Ansari offered them juice to formally end the fast.

Speaking after ending his hunger strike, Mahto said, “Today, on the 16th day of our hunger strike, we ended our fast in a dignified manner. With the joint initiative of Jharkhand Health Minister Irfan Ansari, Minister Deepika Pandey and our MLA Jairam Mahto, we decided to suspend our hunger strike. All the demands for which we had been protesting constitutionally and peacefully have been fulfilled…”

JLKM president Jairam Kumar Mahato also welcomed the government’s decision, calling it historic. “I would undoubtedly thank the government. This is a historic decision, as the CGL examination process had already reached the joining stage. Despite this, the government respected the sentiments of the students…” he said.

The decision to cancel all examinations conducted by JSSC-CGL and TDPL was taken at a special Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Monday.

The announcement triggered celebrations among students protesting at Jaipal Singh Munda Stadium. Despite heavy rain, protesters embraced each other, distributed sweets, raised slogans and celebrated with colours and fireworks. They described the cancellation of the JSSC-CGL examination as a major victory after 24 days of agitation.

However, the students made it clear that their movement has not ended completely. Their key pending demand is a CBI investigation into alleged irregularities in recruitment examinations.

JPSC-JSSC Reform Forum spokesperson Ravindra Paswan said the government had accepted their most important demand by cancelling the examinations, but no decision had yet been taken on the CBI probe. He said the agitation would continue until there was clarity on the issue.

Student leader Piyush Kumar termed the government’s decision the “first major victory” but said several issues, including the 11th to 13th JPSC Civil Services Examination, remain unresolved. The protesters will review the government’s decision and official notification before deciding their next course of action.

Chief Minister Hemant Soren had earlier said the SIT and CID investigations into the JSSC-CGL matter had revealed several important and startling facts, including indications of alleged collusion among different agencies.

The government has also decided to conduct a comprehensive enquiry into recruitment examinations conducted by the JPSC and JSSC since 2014. In addition, a committee headed by IAS officer Amitabh Kaushal has been constituted to recommend reforms to make the examination process more transparent and prevent irregularities in the future.

Continue Reading

National News

No move to NDA: Sharad Pawar ends speculation, directs NCP(SP) workers to rebuild from Oppn benches

Published

on

In a decisive move aimed at dispelling weeks of intense political rumour-mongering, Nationalist Congress Party (SP) chief, Sharad Pawar, has explicitly informed party workers that the organisation will remain firmly in the Opposition and not join the NDA.

Speaking during a crucial two-day internal strategy session held over the weekend, the Maratha strongman directed party workers to ignore realignment chatter and focus on grassroots mobilisation to challenge the ruling establishment in Maharashtra and at the national level.

The internal directive definitively puts to rest persistent speculation that the NCP(SP) was contemplating a shift towards the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) or the ruling Mahayuti coalition in Maharashtra.

It also formally closes the door on any potential reunion or merger with the faction led by Deputy Chief Minister Sunetra Pawar.

The explicit stance from the NCP founder serves as a key stabilising development for the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) coalition in Maharashtra, reassuring its primary partners—the Shiv Sena (Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray) and the Indian National Congress (INC).

Rumours of a potential rift within the MVA had intensified over recent weeks following high-level courtesy visits and administrative meetings.

A delegation of eight NCP(SP) Lok Sabha MPs led by Working President Supriya Sule and MP Bajrang Sonawane recently met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah.

Additionally, Sharad Pawar’s routine courtesy meetings with government executives further fuelled political realignment theories.

Addressing these misgivings, the party leadership clarified that administrative dialogues with central and state ministers are purely intended to pursue constituency development, agrarian relief, and public interest matters — a standard parliamentary approach that does not compromise the party’s core political opposition stance.

Outlining the party’s action plan following the strategy meetings, Maharashtra unit president Shashikant Shinde confirmed that the NCP(SP) is launching a comprehensive campaign across the state.

“Our party President Sharad Pawar personally attended the two-day strategy session and clarified our stand very clearly. NCP(SP) will work as an effective Opposition in the state and at the national level. The party will launch a statewide exercise including tours, workshops, brainstorming sessions, and public agitations focussing on further strengthening the party organisation,” Shinde stated.

Senior leaders, including Supriya Sule and Shashikant Shinde, have already concluded organisational review meetings across four major regions — Vidarbha, Western Maharashtra, North Maharashtra, and Marathwada — with the Konkan region scheduled next.

District heads have been instructed to immediately fill vacant organisational posts created after the July 2023 party split and prepare local units for aggressive street-level agitations focussed on local civic, economic, and agricultural crises.

Political observers note that Sharad Pawar’s firm refusal to align with the BJP allows the NCP(SP) to protect its secular and regional identity, maintaining a distinct ideological separation from the faction led by Sunetra Pawar.

Strengthening district-level machinery positions the NCP(SP) to effectively contest local body and state elections within the MVA seat-sharing frameworks.

Maratha strongman Sharad Pawar’s direct instruction eliminates speculative narratives, ensuring the party mobilises as an active Opposition force across Maharashtra.

Continue Reading

Trending