Connect with us
Friday,21-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

‘People of Baramulla had special place in Gen Rawat’s heart’

Published

on

 India’s first Chief of Defence Staff, General Bipin Rawat had a special connection with the people of J&K’s Baramulla district whom he loved, Chinar Corps commander Lt Gen D.P. Pandey said on Thursday.

Talking to reporters at a function in Baramulla to pay tribute to General Rawat, who had been the commander of the Baramulla-headquartered Dagger Division, he said: “The people of Baramulla will take a long time to overcome the grief caused by General Rawat’s death”.

Recalling the special love Gen Rawat had for the people of Baramulla, he said: “I do not think I have seen the amount of love and connect to match what he had with the people of Uri and Baramulla and with the people of whole Kashmir.

“He used to attend phone calls from everyone from Baramulla. He would listen to their requirements and then he would call me and ask me to listen to their demands and help them. I am sure the people of Baramulla have lost more than anyone else.”

Lt Gen Pandey also said: “I really wanted to come here to Baramulla where he was the GOC, though he was also the commander of 5 Sector (RR). These two tenures were close to his heart especially because of the people. I am sure you all must be feeling this loss like the Indian Army, the armed forces, and the whole country is feeling.

“His wife and others were also killed and this is a huge tragedy and it will take a lot of time for us to come out of this grief.”

The solemn ceremony was organised by the army in Baramulla town.

Dagger Division commander, Major Gen Ajay Chandpuri, and prominent people from civil and district administration were present during the function where glowing tributes were paid to General Rawat and others who lost their lives in Wednesday’s chopper crash.

National News

Two killed, 3,200 houses damaged in floods at Sabang in West Midnapore: Bengal CM

Published

on

Two persons have been killed and 3,200 houses have been damaged so far in the devastating flood at Sabang in West Midnapore district of West Bengal, Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari told on Thursday.The Chief Minister made an aural review of the flood situation at Sabang in the afternoon and thereafter had an administrative review meeting at the local block development office with the district officials and all the MLAs and Ministers from the district.

Thereafter, CM Adhikari spoke to the media persons and told about the number of human death and houses damaged so far.”Two persons have died so far and 3,200 houses have been damaged. Each affected family whose house had been damaged will be provided with a compensation of Rs 30,000 by the state government,” the Chief Minister said.According to CM Adhikari, besides the compensation for those houses damaged in the flood, the state government will also stand by the farmers whose crops were damaged because of the flood.

“The farmers who are covered under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana will get the opportunity to get compensation. However, the state government will have to work out a strategy for providing compensation for the affected mat-stick makers by any insurance scheme,” the Chief Minister added.He also claimed that during his interaction with the local flood-affected people, many told him that any Chief Minister had physically visited the flood affected areas for the first time after 1986.

“The previous (Trinamool Congress-led state) government did not consider the people of this area as human beings. I have a human connection with them. That is why I came here. My life begins with rural Bengal and will also end with rural Bengal,” the Chief Minister said.He also added that the state administration is also keeping a close watch on the situation in Arambagh in Hooghly district.”Although, there is not any flood-like situation in Arambagh as yet, things might worsen if Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) releases fresh water from their dams. I have asked the Hooghly district administration to remain alert,” the Chief Minister said.

Continue Reading

National News

Tejashwi attacks JD-U leader Sanjay Jha, alleges leaders like him entrapped Nitish Kumar for Rajya Sabha

Published

on

Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) National Working President and Bihar Leader of Opposition (LoP) Tejashwi Yadav launched a sharp attack on the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) National Working President and MP Sanjay Jha on Thursday, while leaving Patna for Madhubani.

Responding to Sanjay Jha’s criticism of the Wednesday’s Lok Bhavan march led by the Bihar LoP, Tejashwi said that Jha should first save his own position, alleging that there was considerable opposition to him within the JD-U.

He also accused Sanjay Jha of having entrapped Nitish Kumar and alleged that Jha and others were close to Home Minister Amit Shah.

Tejashwi also targeted the Bihar government over the death of 19-year-old Roshan Yadav in jail in Madhubani.

He claimed that the youth had been forcibly taken away by police and that serious questions had arisen regarding the circumstances of his death.

Tejashwi said he had spoken to Roshan’s family and was travelling to Madhubani to meet them personally.

He said he would also speak with the concerned officials and seek justice for the family.

The RJD leader made allegations regarding the treatment of Roshan, claiming that the youth had been assaulted and subjected to electric shocks while allegedly being kept in police custody.

These allegations are claims made by Tejashwi Yadav and would require investigation and independent verification.

The LoP alleged that Bihar was being transformed into a “police state” under Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary and said that the RJD would not allow such a situation to develop.

He also referred to a murder in Hajipur, saying he planned to meet the victim’s family as part of his visit to several locations in the state.

He accused the state government of failing on the law-and-order front and alleged that criminal activity was increasing across Bihar.

Asked about the ongoing student protest at Patna’s Gardanibagh, Tejashwi reiterated his support for the demonstrators, particularly those on hunger strike.

He urged the Bihar government to seriously consider their demands and warned that continued inaction could intensify the students’ agitation.

His remarks came a day after the RJD’s Lok Bhavan march in Patna, during which Tejashwi was detained by police before later being released.

The RJD-led march had focused on student issues, unemployment, examination irregularities and the controversy surrounding alleged AK-47 firing during a student protest in Siwan.

Continue Reading

National News

‘Matter between two nations’: J&K CM Omar Abdullah on US-Pakistan row over Sergio Gor’s remarks

Published

on

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, commenting on Pakistan summoning the US envoy over US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor’s statement, said on Thursday that the ambassador had made his remarks and the matter was now between the two countries.

Omar Abdullah was reacting to reports that Pakistan had summoned the US envoy over Gor’s statement on Wednesday that Kashmir is an important part of India.

When asked about Pakistan summoning the US envoy over US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor’s remark that Jammu and Kashmir is an important part of India, Omar Abdullah said the matter was between Pakistan and the US.

“Whatever the US ambassador said, he said. Now it is between the two countries,” the CM said.

Hours after Gor’s remarks, Pakistan’s Foreign Office had summoned the US envoy in Islamabad and lodged protest over the remarks.

Speaking to reporters after the meeting Omar Abdullah on Wednesday, Gor said that the US would reconsider its travel advisories on Kashmir, noting that Kashmir is an important part of India.

This was Sergio Gor’s maiden visit to J&K after he took over his assignment as the US ambassador to India.

Earlier, Omar Abdullah had said he would discuss issues with the visiting US ambassador, but would not complain about anything since it was the central government that could address issues in J&K and not the US.

Gor graduated from George Washington University, where he was involved in conservative causes, participating in College Republicans and founding the university’s chapter of Young America’s Foundation.

He was an activist for Arizona senator John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign and worked for the Republican National Committee, later serving as the spokesman for representatives Steve King, Michele Bachmann, and Randy Forbes.

In May 2013, Gor began working for Kentucky senator Rand Paul’s political action committee, RANDPAC, eventually serving as Paul’s spokesman, communications director, and deputy chief of staff.

Continue Reading

Trending