Connect with us
Breaking News


Navjot Singh Sidhu lodged in Patiala jail in 1988 road rage case



 Former Punjab Congress chief Navjot Singh Sidhu on Friday surrendered before a court in his hometown Patiala in Punjab in a 1988 road rage case in which the Supreme Court enhanced his punishment to a year’s rigorous imprisonment over the death of a 65-year-old man.

Earlier in the day, Sidhu requested the apex court to grant him a few more weeks to surrender, citing health grounds.

Senior advocate A.M. Singhvi, appearing for Sidhu, requested to mention the matter before the court but it declined permission, asking Sidhu to give a letter, requesting more time to surrender to the registry. “Can’t mention like this,” it said.

In Patiala, a few party leaders reached his residence before his surrender to extend moral support to Sidhu, 58, a former legislator from Amritsar East and a three-time Amritsar MP from the BJP.

Sidhu surrendered in the court of Chief Judicial Magistrate Amit Malhan. After a medical check-up, the former cricketer-turned-politician was lodged in the Patiala Central Jail.

Sidhu has been lodged in an ordinary barrack as the AAP government in Punjab last week decided to junk special cells in jails for VIP prisoners.

Interestingly, Bikram Singh Majithia, one of the most powerful Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) leaders, is in judicial custody in the same jail where Sidhu has been lodged.

Both Sidhu and Majithia, who is facing charges in a drugs case, were once close friends but are now political enemies.

They were in fray from Amritsar East in the recently-held Assembly polls and the seat witnessed a bitter battle. They faced defeat from AAP’s greenhorn Jeevan Jyot Kaur.

With the apex court imposing the imprisonment, Sidhu said he “will submit to the majesty of law”.

“Will submit to the majesty of law…,” Sidhu, who is not averse to even sharp criticism of his own party and its policies and leaders, said in a tweet on Thursday.

The judgment came when Sidhu, riding on an elephant, was staging a protest, along with party workers, against price rise in Patiala where the incident of road rage was reported in 1988.

The apex court, which reserved the judgment in March, overturned its 2018 judgment, which had reduced the punishment for Sidhu in the case, after a review petition was filed by the family of Gurnam Singh, who had died in the incident.

On December 27, 1988, the cricketer-turned-politician and one of his friends, Rupinder Singh Sandhu, had on December 27, 1988, hit Gurnam Singh, 65, on his head near the Sheranwala Gate crossing in Patiala.

Police said Sidhu fled from the scene after committing the crime. Gurnam Singh was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead.

Sidhu said Gurnam Singh died of a cardiac arrest and not because he was punched in the head.

Sidhu was acquitted of the murder charges by a trial court in September 1999. However, the Punjab High Court reversed the verdict and held Sidhu and his co-accused guilty of culpable homicide not amounting to murder in December 2006. It sentenced them to three years in jail and imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh each.

Both Sidhu and Sandhu filed an appeal in the Supreme Court, which stayed their conviction in 2007.

In 2018, the Supreme Court acquitted him of culpable homicide and convicted him of causing hurt in a road rage case in which one person died.

In February 2022, the apex court agreed to hear a plea seeking review of its May 15, 2018 verdict, where it let off Sidhu with a mere Rs 1,000 fine.


Navi Mumbai: Raigad LCB Seizes 33,000 Litres Of Smuggled Diesel Worth ₹36.40 Lakh At Rewas Port; 4 Arrested




Navi Mumbai: Raigad Local Crime Branch (LCB), has arrested four men from Rewas port for smuggling diesel in the arabian sea. Police have also seized 33,000 litres of diesel along with the boat in which they were smuggling. The diesel and the boat seized amounts to a total of Rs 36.40 lakh. According to the police, the accused smuggled the diesel from the bigger ships in the sea and sold to the smaller boats at a lesser rate than the market rate.

The accused arrested have been identified as Ganesh Kashinath Koli (40), Vinayak Narayan Koli (45), Gajanan Atmaram Koli (45) and Mukesh Khabardat Nishad (45), all residents of Bodni Koliwada in Alibag taluka of Raigad district. Acting on a tip-off that about the accused smuggling diesel in a boat at Rewas port, the police had laid a trap at the jetty at Rewas.

“When the boat arrived, we nabbed the accused and seized the diesel that was being smuggled. The accused did not do any other job and were into smuggling itself. They either stole the diesel from the larger ships or bought the from them at lesser rate and then sold it further to the smaller boats,” police inspector Balasaheb Khade from Raigad LCB said.

The case against the accused was registered under section 287 (negligent conduct with respect to fire or combustible matter) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and sections of The Essential Commodities Act and The Petroleum Act. “Since the punishment in this case as per the law is below seven years, they are not arrested and a notice has been served to them as the per the procedure,” the officer added.

Continue Reading


Karnataka Bus Driver, Making Reel While Driving, Hits Bullock Cart From Behind Injuring Farmers, Killing 2 Bulls On Spot In Hubli




A government bus driver hit a bullock cart killing two bulls on the spot and severely injuring the farmers on it while making a reel in Karnataka’s Hubli on Wednesday.

In the purported video of the incident, the bus driver can be seen sitting behind the wheel as his aide makes a reel. Moments later, the video shows the bus colliding with the bullock cart on the road from behind.

As per reports, the bus in question belongs to the North Western Road Transport Corporation and was going towards Bagalkot at the time of the accident.

Case registered against driver

The impact of the collision was so powerful that the bulls fell down and started bleeding until they lost their lives. The two farmers from Chakkadi, severely injured, were rushed to a nearby hospital.

As per reports, a case has been registered against the bus driver at the Hubli Rural police station.

Red alert still in place for coastal regions

Meanwhile, with the rains not letting up and the monsoon still vigorous, the India Meteorological Department has extended the red alert for coastal Karnataka till July 18.

Since the intensity of rain has reduced in south interior Karnataka, the weather department has retracted the red alert for the region and has issued an orange one till July 20.

Even in coastal Karnataka, the downpour is expected to become less intense from July 19 onwards, with the weather department predicting that it would be under orange category for now.

Meanwhile, Deputy Commissioner of Uttara Kannada Laxmipriya said that due to the relentless rain, the district had opened 26 care centres by the evening of July 16, including six in Karwar taluk, six in Kumta taluk and 14 in Honnavar taluk, sheltering 2,368 people.

According to her, in the last 24 hours, three houses were completely damaged, one severely and 18 partially, and one human life was lost due to a house collapse in Karwar taluk.

In case of emergencies, the DC said, the public can call the district administration’s emergency helpline number 1077 as well as the WhatsApp number 94835 11015.

Continue Reading


Mumbai BMW Hit-and-Run Case Accused Mihir Shah Sent To Judicial Custody Till July 30




Mumbai BMW Hit-and-Run Case Accused Mihir Shah Sent To Judicial Custody Till July 30

Mihir Shah, the accused in Mumbai BMW hit-and-run was on Tuesday (July 16) sent to 14-day judicial custody lasting till July 30. A court in Sewri remanded him to judicial custody on the day his police custody was to end. Shah was arrested by Mumbai Police on July 9 after the BMW car driven by him, while drunk, struck and killed 45-year-old Kaveri Nakhwa in Worli while she was riding pillion with her husband on scooter.

Shah was on the run following the fatal accident before he was tracked down and arrested by the police.

At the time of the accident, Kaveri Nakhwa got stuck in the wheels of the car but Mihir drove it for another kilometre in spite of passerbys attempting to alert him. The horrific incident was captured on CCTV cameras. Shah fled the scene after the accident. While her husband escaped with injuries, Kaveri Nakhwa wasn’t as lucky. She was taken to hospital by passerbys but later breathed her last.

After his arrest, Mihir Shah was sent to seven-day police custody.

What happened in the court?

On Tuesday, the investigation officer told the court that Mihir Shah was not co-operating with the investigation and was not revealing who helped him and whom he contacted after the accident.

The prosecution pressed for extension of police custody arguing that police needed to question Mihir Shah further as his non-cooperation was an obstacle in finding his accomplices and more evidence in the matter.

Defence countered by saying that the police had already recorded statements from 27 people and had important evidence, such as rear number plate of the car, in their possession. Extension of police custody, it said, was hence unnecessary.

Mihir Shah is son of Shiv Sena (Shinde) leader Rajesh Shah. The party removed Rajesh Shah from his post following Mihir Shah’s arrest.

Continue Reading