Connect with us


Mysuru gang rape: 7th accused nabbed in TN after a fortnight




Karnataka police probing the Mysuru gang rape have arrested the seventh accused in the case, the police sources said on Wednesday.

The accused will be produced before a court and his custody will be sought for further investigations.

The accused was picked from Tamil Nadu late Tuesday. The police department had deputed a special team to nab him based on the clues by other co-accused. The 7th accused had switched off his mobile and disappeared after the August 24 crime at an isolated place near the foothills of Chamundi hills.

The police officers stationed in Tamil Nadu had kept a close tab on his relatives, family members and friends and finally a fortnight after the incident managed to secure him.

The other six accused have already been produced before the 3rd JMFC court on Tuesday as their 10-day police custody ended.

The court has remanded five accused persons to 14-day judicial custody. The accused have been sent to Mysuru central jail, while a minor accused was sent to a juvenile home.

The police sources said the victim is yet to record her statements regarding the incident, given her traumatised condition.

The Congress party has decided to raise the issue in the upcoming assembly session after it completed its own parallel probe into the incident and came up with 19 recommendations.

The committee headed by former MP V.S. Ugrappa has demanded that the police department should record the statement of the victim immediately and in case of rejection, legal action should be initiated against her under IPC section 202. The speedy investigations have to be taken up and accused should be paraded before the victim. Charge sheet has to be filed before the court on time and accused should be punished within a span of 5 months.

The government should come with a law for holding jurisdictional district commissioner and superintendent of police responsible in such cases. The party also demanded the resignation of Home Minister Araga Jnanendra for failing to prevent the crime.

The incident took place on August 24 evening, when the victim had gone to an isolated place near the foothills of Chamundi hills along with her male friend. The accused, who had noticed couple frequenting the area, took them hostage and demanded Rs 3 lakh ransom.

When they failed to give the money, the accused took turns to rape the victim. They also assaulted the male friend. The accused had forced the youth to call his family for money. The family members rushed to the spot and shifted the victim and her friend to a hospital.

The case made national headlines and the state police department came under intense pressure. Protests broke out all over the state demanding the arrest of the accused. The police managed to arrest 5 accused rapists within 84 hours of the incident and have now taken the other 2 accused persons also into custody.

The victim, who is under trauma is yet to record her statement and the government has stated that it will not force her for the statement until she is in a condition to speak. The police department claimed that the victim will cooperate as the investigation progresses. She has already identified her attackers from photographs.


Big crackdown: Delhi Police bust several arms syndicates ahead of R-Day




 In a crackdown, Delhi Police have busted several illegal arms supply syndicates that may have emerged as a security threat in the national capital ahead of Republic Day celebrations.

In just past five days, police have arrested 6 notorious arms dealers who used to supply illegal arms and ammunition to the gangsters of Delhi, out of which the last was been found to have illegal financial links with subversive modules based abroad.

In the first operation, the Special Cell on January 21 announced arrest of a wanted arms dealer who supplied weapons to conspirators, who plotted to kill a Delhi-based Kashmiri Pandit. The accused, identified as Haji Shamim alias Shamim Pistol, was a notorious illegal arms supplier and had been supplying illegal arms for more than 15 years.

First arrested in an illegal arms case in 2007, he deals in sophisticated arms including foreign-made arms.

The dconspiracy to kill the Kashmiri Pandit social activist was hatched by a person named Randeep, who has been absconding since 2014 and is hiding abroad. It was learnt that he runs an international drug cartel and enjoys the support of Pakistan. In this whole conspiracy, weapons were arranged by Shamim.

The second operation was conducted on January 22 in which an illegal arms factory that was manufacturing around 1,000 weapons per year was busted by the Delhi Police in Uttar Pradesh’s Aligarh district and one man was apprehended in this connection. The details about the arms factory were revealed during the interrogation of notorious arms supplier Shakil alias Sherni, who was arrested earlier that week after an encounter with the Special Staff of Outer North district. The apprehended accused, identified as Ravi Mahor, was making illegal arms in a shop being used as a manufacturing unit.

“Several raw materials used in the manufacturing of arms were recovered such as barrels, triggers, the body of arms, etc along with Khairat machine, bits used in the machine, Bhatti, Okhli, gripper, etc were recovered,” Deputy Commissioner of Police, Outer North district, Brijendra Kumar Yadav had told IANS.

In the third operation, two notorious arms suppliers of the infamous Neeraj Bawana and Tillu Tajpuriya gang were arrested by the Special Cell. The accused were identified as Manish, 25, a resident of Bawana, Delhi and Shokeen, 38, a resident of Shamli, UP. It was learnt that the Delhi gangsters were procuring illegal arms and ammunition from these weapons suppliers. A total of 27 illegal firearms and live cartridges were recovered from the accused persons at the time of their arrests.

According to the police, in the past year, accused Manish has supplied more than 30 illegal firearms along with ammunition to different members of the Neeraj Bawana and Tillu gang. Both Neeraj Bawana and Sunil Mann alias Tillu Tajpuriya are dreaded gangsters currently lodged at different jails in the national capital.

In the latest operation, just one day ahead of Republic Day, the Special Cell said they have busted an interstate illegal arms racket and arrested its two key members. Notably, the racket was having illegal financial links with terror modules based abroad. The arrested accused were identified as Ravi Khan, 40, a resident of Prayagraj in Uttar Pradesh, and Rahul Singh Chhabda alias Rahul Sikhligar, 23, a resident of district Dhar in Madhya Pradesh. A total of 25 semi-automatic pistols were recovered, with their mobile phone and SIM cards used in the offense.

According to DCP, Special Cell, Rajiv Ranjan Singh, Chhabda and his associates were supplying illegal weapons in UP and Delhi NCR from the areas of Khargone, Dhar, Badwani, and Burhanpur in Madhya Pradesh. Chhabda used to procure illegal pistols from suppliers of his village and nearby areas and further supply the same to criminals of Delhi, UP, Haryana and Rajasthan directly himself or through co-accused Ravi Khan and others.

Upon further interrogation of the accused persons, it was also revealed that accused Chhabda was having links with some foreign-based modules, who were involved in subversive and Hawala activities. It was also revealed that he had received huge money from such modules through illegal channels.

Continue Reading


Explosives recovered in J&K’s Kishtwar




A joint team of Indian Army and J&K Police has recovered commercial grade explosives from Kishtwar district, a statement said on Tuesday.

“A joint team of the security forces including the army and local police has recovered approximately 1.3 kg of commercial grade explosives in general area of Nagar Nala near Dul in district Kishtwar (J&K) on January 24, 2022.

“The recovery included 11 sticks of commercial grade explosives (each weighing 125 gms), one detonator and also the detonating wire,” a defence statement said.

Continue Reading


Raj man held with unaccounted Rs 1.88 crore cash, gold in K’taka





A man from Rajasthan was arrested on Tuesday on charges of transporting unaccounted Rs 1.48 crore worth gold and Rs 40 lakh cash in Mangaluru, Karnataka.

During a preventive check ahead of Republic Day, personnel of the Railway Protection Force (RPF) attached to Mangaluru Junction Railway Station nabbed Mahendra Singh Rao, a resident of Udaipur, while he was travelling on the Mumbai-LTT-Ernakulam Duronto Express.

The 36-year-old accused has been handed over to the Government Railway Police, Mangaluru Central, along with the gold and money. The currency found is in the denominations of Rs 2,000 and Rs 500.

The man was caught when RPF personnel checked his bag and found the cash wrapped in newspapers.

The accused claimed that he received the gold and cash from a person in Mumbai referred by his employer Praveen Singh.

Singh allegedly owns Shubh Gold in Kozhikode. Further investigation is on.

Continue Reading