National News
Mumbai: AIMIM’s Hindu Candidate Vijay Ubale Appointed Party’s Group Leader At BMC After Landmark Win In Muslim-Dominated Area
Mumbai: Vijay Ubale, who won last week’s election to the BMC as a candidate of the AIMIM, was on Wednesday picked as the party’s group leader in the civic body. A state leader of the party made the announcement through a social media post. Asaduddin Owaisi-led AIMIM has won eight seats in the January 15 polls. The party won from wards 134, 136, 137, 138, 139, 140, 143 and 145.
Ubale, a Hindu candidate, won from ward number 140 with a margin of 4,945 votes. The AIMIM swept the MEast ward’s eight seats, the constituency traditionally dominated by the Samajwadi Party, and locally by Shiv Sena and NCP corporators. The ward covers Govandi, Deonar, Shivaji Nagar and Mankhurd areas. Dominated by Muslims and immigrant population, it has the lowest Human Development Index in Mumbai, with 77% people living in informal housing. From sanitation to health care, education to roads, encroachments to slum development, the ward ranks at the bottom.
Many say the eight-seat victory is not purely AIMIM’s success, but results from vote division due to anti-incumbency against SP and anti-BJP sentiment, which directly benefited AIMIM. Still, with citizens electing new faces, will AIMIM corporators seize the opportunity to uplift the area? The corporators include four women and four men, notably a Hindu corporator elected from a Muslim-dominated ward, reflecting strong public support. M-East houses the infamous Deonar dumping ground.
For years, the BMC has failed to start the waste-to-energy plant there. Praja Foundation’s 2025 report notes M-East recorded the lowest per capita civic expenditure and a staggering 91.08% decline in slum improvement budget. “The Govandi–Mankhurd constituency has emerged as a major centre of revolutionary politics. The people wanted real change and an upgrade in the living conditions of the area, especially because for the last 20 years, there has been no effective local representation in many municipal wards.
With a significant Muslim– Dalit population in every ward, voting patterns clearly reflected community aspirations for dignity, development, and justice,” said Faiyaz Alam, president of Govandi Welfare Forum. Kalpana Mate, a resident of Mankhurd said, “Our entire family relocated to Mankhurd 15-20 years ago.
To date, we do not have voter IDs as some of our documents consist of village addresses. Every time slum rehab officers visit for inspection, we request them to guide us to change our address, make new IDs, ration cards. The local government offices, banks are also very negligent because we are illiterate and poor. The last corporators had promised to generate new government documents, but nothing happened.” “Seeing the safety, security issues, drug menace and local violence, I feel my children could shift back to the village,” Mate added.
Business
PM Modi to inaugurate fifth edition of ‘SEMICON India’ on Sept 17

New Delhi, Aug 18: Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the fifth edition of SEMICON India 2026 on September 17 here as India seeks to accelerate the development of its domestic semiconductor ecosystem, an official statement said on Tuesday.
The three-day conference and exhibition — themed Silicon to Systems: Building the Ecosystem — will be held between September 17 and September 19 and is being jointly organised by the India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) — under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) — and global industry association SEMI, the ministry said.
The event is expected to bring together policymakers, global semiconductor companies, industry executives, researchers, academics, start-ups and students to discuss developments across the semiconductor and electronics value chain.
In addition, the Centre recently approved Semicon 2.0 to strengthen the country’s semiconductor manufacturing and supply-chain capabilities.
The government said it is also supporting semiconductor research, innovation and design through access to advanced design tools for more than 332 academic institutions and 105 start-ups.
Moreover, 24 start-ups have been approved under the Design Linked Incentive (DLI) scheme.
However, India’s semiconductor ambitions have gained momentum under the Semicon India Programme with 12 projects approved under Semicon 1.0 to help build a domestic semiconductor ecosystem, according to the ministry.
S. Krishnan, Secretary, MeitY, said the 2026 edition comes at a significant stage in India’s semiconductor journey, noting that three of the 12 projects approved under Semicon 1.0 have commenced commercial production.
“The announcement of Semicon 2.0 with six major pillars further strengthens India’s commitment to build a robust and resilient semiconductor ecosystem,” he said.
Ajit Manocha, President and Chief Executive Officer of SEMI, said India is well positioned to expand its role in the global semiconductor industry through its talent pool, policy support and long-term vision.
Ashok Chandak, President of SEMI India and IESA, said the event reflects India’s efforts to build a comprehensive semiconductor value chain and has become a key platform for collaboration among industry leaders, policymakers, investors and researchers.
Additionally, the exhibition is expected to feature more than 500 exhibitors, including over 240 international companies, with delegations from more than 40 countries.
According to the ministry, the event will also include six country pavilions, 10 state government pavilions, a start-up pavilion, innovation showcase, start-up pitch competition, student hackathon and workforce development pavilion.
Crime
Rajasthan: Threat to blow up CM office, accused arrested after search

Jaipur, Aug 18: Panic gripped Jaipur on Tuesday after a threatening call claimed that a bomb had been planted at the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO). The call was received at the Jaipur Control Room, prompting police and security agencies to launch an extensive search operation.
DCP (South) Rajarshi Raj reached the spot to assess the situation. Teams from the police, dog squad, Anti‑Terrorist Squad (ATS) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) were deployed at the CMO. Officials said the building was thoroughly searched for around four and a half hours, but no suspicious object was found.
Meanwhile, Vidhayakpuri police traced the phone number used to make the threat and arrested the accused, identified as 38‑year‑old Lala Kothyari, a resident of Sawai Madhopur.
According to preliminary information, the accused allegedly made the threatening call while under the influence of intoxicants. Police said he is being interrogated to determine the exact motive and circumstances behind the call.
The search operation inside the CMO began around 10:30 am, following receipt of the threat. Security personnel thoroughly checked different sections of the building as a precautionary measure.
Officials recalled that this was not the first time the Rajasthan Chief Minister’s Office had received a bomb threat. On July 26, 2025, a threat was received to blow up both the CMO and Jaipur International Airport. Security agencies carried out searches at both locations, but no suspicious object was found.
Bomb threats have also repeatedly targeted the Rajasthan High Court. On July 13, 2026, the High Court administration received an email claiming six gelatin bombs had been planted, though the message stated there was no intention to harm the public.
Officials said the Jaipur Bench of the High Court had received 13 threats over eight months, including on October 31, 2025, and subsequently on December 5, 8, 9, 10 and 11. In 2026, similar threats were reported on February 6, 17, 19 and 20, followed by March 17 and April 13.
On June 16, 2025, The Palace School at Jaleb Chowk in Jaipur received a bomb threat by email. The message was noticed the following day as the school was closed when it arrived. The administration informed police, who conducted searches.
Earlier, on August 19, 2024, bomb threats were issued against Delhi Public School and Pink Square Mall in Adarsh Nagar on the same day. Security teams searched both locations for several hours, but no explosive device was found.
On June 19, 2024, Pareek School in Chandpole received an email threatening a blast. Teams from the Bomb Disposal Squad, ATS and Special Operations Group (SOG) reached the location and conducted searches.
On May 13, 2024, the anniversary of the Jaipur serial blasts, threats were issued against 56 schools under the Jaipur Commissionerate. School principals reportedly received emails claiming bombs had been planted inside their buildings.
Officials said repeated threats have prompted security agencies to maintain heightened vigilance around government offices, educational institutions and other sensitive locations across Jaipur.
National News
Prashant Kishor visits Ashok Dham stampede injured, kin of deceased; demands accountability of officers

Patna, Aug 18: Following the tragic stampede in which seven people died and over a dozen were injured at the Ashok Dham temple in Lakhisarai in Bihar on the third Monday of Sawan, Jan Suraaj convener and Bankipur MLA, Prashant Kishor, visited the district on Tuesday to meet the injured and the bereaved families.
Kishor first visited Lakhisarai Sadar Hospital, where he met patients injured in the incident and enquired about their health and the treatment being provided to them.
He spoke with the injured to understand what happened and wished them a speedy recovery.
Kishor subsequently travelled to Pratappur village in Halsi block, where he met the families of three women who had died in the tragedy.
He expressed his condolences and assured the bereaved kin of all possible assistance.
After meeting the victims and their families, Kishor sharply criticised the Bihar government and district administration.
He alleged that despite the seriousness of the incident, no senior official had yet been held accountable.
He claimed that the administration appeared focussed on resolving the matter through compensation rather than determining responsibility.
Kishor questioned the practice of providing compensation of Rs 4 lakh, arguing that financial assistance alone cannot substitute for accountability when precious lives have been lost.
Kishor also questioned the status and scope of the investigation ordered after the incident.
He pointed out that the Commissioner and DIG had visited Lakhisarai and directed an enquiry, but said there was insufficient clarity about which officer was conducting the investigation and what specific aspects were being examined.
He demanded that the enquiry should establish who was responsible for the incident, and whether there were administrative or security lapses, which officials were responsible for any negligence, and what action should be taken against those found accountable.
Kishor also said that visits by elected representatives and ministers to the affected families were not enough, insisting that concrete administrative action must follow.
Several Jan Suraaj leaders and party workers accompanied Kishor during his visit, including Ravishankar Prasad Singh and Zila Parishad member Amit Sagar, along with local residents.
Kishor’s visit has added a political dimension to demands for an impartial investigation and accountability following the Ashok Dham temple tragedy in which seven people died and over a dozen were injured.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
