International News
Mojtaba Khamenei named Iran’s Supreme Leader
Tehran, March 9: Iran on Monday named Mojtaba Khamenei as the new Supreme Leader, succeeding his father Ali Khamenei, in a move that signals the continued dominance of hardliners in Tehran even as the country remains locked in an escalating conflict with the United States and Israel.
Mojtaba Khamenei, a mid-ranking cleric believed to wield significant influence within Iran’s security establishment and the vast economic networks built under his father’s leadership, had long been viewed as a leading contender for the position.
The decision was made by the Assembly of Experts, an 88-member body of clerics responsible for selecting the Supreme Leader after the death of Ali Khamenei.
Confirming the decision, the assembly issued a statement shortly after midnight Tehran time.
“By a decisive vote, the Assembly of Experts appointed Ayatollah Seyyed Mojtaba Hosseini Khamenei as the third Leader of the sacred system of the Islamic Republic of Iran,” the statement said.
The post of Supreme Leader gives Mojtaba Khamenei ultimate authority over all matters of state in the Islamic Republic, including control over the military, judiciary and key political institutions.
His appointment is expected to heighten tensions with Washington. US President Donald Trump said on Sunday that the United States should have a say in the leadership transition in Iran.
“If he doesn’t get approval from us, he’s not going to last long,” Trump told ABC News. Israel had also issued warnings ahead of the announcement, indicating that whoever assumed the role could be targeted.
Ali Khamenei, Iran’s longtime Supreme Leader, was killed in one of the first strikes launched against Iran on February 28 as hostilities erupted between Iran and the US-Israel alliance.
The conflict has already taken a heavy toll. The US military reported on Sunday that a seventh American service member had died from injuries sustained during Iran’s initial counter-attack a week earlier.
The announcement came a day after Trump oversaw the return to the United States of the remains of six other American personnel who had been killed.
According to Iran’s ambassador to the United Nations, the US-Israeli military campaign has resulted in the deaths of at least 1,332 Iranian civilians and left thousands more wounded.
Despite calls from Washington for Tehran to capitulate, Iranian leaders signalled that the country had no intention of backing down. As Trump pressed for what he described as an “unconditional surrender,” Iran’s parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf said Tehran was not seeking a ceasefire and would continue to punish those responsible for the attacks.
Meanwhile, Israel continued to target senior Iranian officials as part of its military campaign. Israeli authorities said Abolqasem Babaian, who had recently been appointed head of the military office of the Supreme Leader, was killed in an airstrike carried out on Saturday.
As the fighting entered its ninth day, residents in Tehran reported seeing thick black smoke hanging over parts of the city after airstrikes targeted oil storage facilities.
The attacks lit up the night sky with large plumes of orange flames, indicating significant damage to energy infrastructure.
Iran’s foreign ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei described the large-scale assault as a dangerous escalation in the conflict and accused the attackers of committing a war crime.
“By targeting fuel depots, the aggressors are releasing hazardous materials and toxic substances into the air,” Baghaei wrote in a post on X.
Israel defended the strikes, saying the facilities were linked to Iran’s military capabilities.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the offensive against Iran would continue and warned that the country’s leadership would face sustained attacks.
International News
Trump says Iran talks ‘in final stages’ as US waits for ‘right answer’

Washington, May 21: US President Donald Trump has said that his administration is “in the final stages” of peace talks with Iran and is willing to wait a few days for the “right answer.”
“We’re in the final stages of Iran,” Trump told reporters. “We’ll see what happens.”
“We’ll either have a deal, or we’re going to do some things that are a little bit nasty. But hopefully that won’t happen,” he added.
The president claimed he is in “no hurry” to finalise a peace agreement with Iran, suggesting that he would not consider making a “limited deal” only focused on reopening the Strait of Hormuz, reports Xinhua news agency.
“We’re going to give this one shot,” Trump said of a potential deal, ruling out the idea of a partial compromise.
“I’m in no hurry. You never think, ‘Oh, the midterms, I’m in a hurry.’ I’m in no hurry,” Trump said.
The president added that he had a “very good” phone call with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan earlier on Wednesday. Turkey is seen as one of the key mediators during US-Iran negotiations.
Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guard Corps on Wednesday warned that if the US and Israeli aggression against the country is repeated, the war will extend beyond the West Asia region.
On the same day, Iranian Foreign Minister Seyed Abbas Araghchi warned in a post on X that returning to war with Iran will have many more surprises for the United States, citing a recent report by the US Congress that acknowledged the loss of dozens of aircraft.
On February 28, the United States and Israel launched joint attacks on Tehran and several other Iranian cities, killing Iran’s then Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei, along with senior military commanders and civilians. Iran responded by launching waves of missile and drone strikes targeting Israeli and US bases and assets in the Middle East.
A ceasefire was reached between the warring parties on April 8, followed by one round of peace talks in Pakistan’s capital, Islamabad, on April 11 and 12, which failed to yield an agreement.
US and Israeli officials have escalated threats of repeating military attacks against Iran over the past few days. Trump on Tuesday claimed Iran’s leaders were “begging” to make a deal, warning that a new US attack could take place in the coming days if no agreement is reached.
International News
PM Modi gifts ‘Melody’ to Giorgia Meloni, revives viral ‘Melodi’ moment

Rome, May 20: Prime Minister Narendra Modi presented a light-hearted and unique gift — a “Melody” toffee packet– to his Italian counterpart Giorgia Meloni, bringing back the widely popular “#Melodi” moment that has often gone viral on social media.
The informal exchange, marked by laughter between the two leaders, was later shared by the Italian PM on Instagram, where she also spoke about the gesture and the gift received from the Indian Prime Minister.
Sharing the video of the moment, Meloni said, “Prime Minister Modi brought us a gift — a very, very good toffee — Melody,” as both leaders were seen sharing a laugh during the interaction.
She further added in her caption, “Thank you for the gift.”
The “Melodi” phenomenon — a portmanteau combining the names of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Giorgia Meloni — has become a recurring viral trend online, reflecting the visible personal rapport and friendly exchanges between the two leaders during various international engagements.
The term has frequently been used by social media users to highlight their light-hearted interactions at global platforms, often turning into viral moments that generate memes, discussions and widespread online engagement, while also symbolising a perceived strengthening of India-Italy relations.
Earlier in the day, visuals and pictures from a special dinner hosted near the iconic Colosseum in Rome also attracted significant attention online. The two leaders were seen sharing a casual moment, including a smiling selfie and a relaxed interaction that quickly spread across social media platforms.
They were also seen standing on a balcony enjoying the sunset over the historic city of Rome, adding to the series of informal and friendly exchanges that have characterised their public appearances.
The viral ‘Melodi’ trend originally gained momentum after Meloni posted a selfie on X during the COP28 summit in Dubai, where she captioned it, “Good friends at COP28, #Melodi”. Till then, Melodi was just a meme hashtag used by Internet users.
Since then, the duo has frequently drawn attention for their warm greetings, handshakes and cordial interactions at multiple international events, including their widely shared selfie at the G20 Summit held in New Delhi.
International News
PM Modi heads to Oslo after ‘productive’ Sweden visit

Gothenburg, May 18: Prime Minister Narendra Modi departed from Gothenburg on Monday after successfully concluding his visit to Sweden, during which he elevated the bilateral ties between the two countries to a Strategic Partnership. He is now en route to Norway for the fourth leg of his five-nation tour.
In a post on X, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said, “A visit advancing innovation, sustainability and strategic cooperation. PM Narendra Modi departed from Gothenburg for Oslo after a productive visit marked by the elevation of India-Sweden ties to a Strategic Partnership. The visit opened a new chapter in India-Sweden ties.”
Prime Minister Modi arrived in Sweden on Sunday for a two-day official visit aimed at strengthening bilateral ties between the two nations.
Earlier in the day, Prime Minister Modi thanked the people and the Government of Sweden for the warmth and friendship.
The Sweden visit was marked by several important outcomes that will add new momentum to relations.
“From elevating our ties to a Strategic Partnership, launching the Joint Innovation Partnership 2.0 and the India-Sweden Technology and Artificial Intelligence Corridor, to setting an ambitious goal of doubling bilateral trade in the next five years, the discussions were highly productive,” PM Modi said in a post on X.
During his visit, PM Modi also addressed the European Round Table for Industry (ERT) in Gothenburg.
The Prime Minister said his speech focused on the growing convergence between India and Europe, the opportunities emerging from the India-European Union Free Trade Agreement (FTA), and India’s reform-driven economic growth journey.
He also held wide-ranging conversations with the business leaders in Sweden on how economic linkages between India and Sweden can be enhanced, particularly in futuristic technologies, R&D, AI, security and healthcare.
During the visit, PM Modi was also conferred with the ‘Royal Order of the Polar Star, Degree Commander Grand Cross’ in recognition of his exceptional contribution to India-Sweden relations and his leadership in deepening cooperation between the two countries.
Prime Minister Modi and his Swedish counterpart, Ulf Kristersson, also exchanged special commemorative gifts honouring the enduring legacy of Rabindranath Tagore, highlighting the deep cultural ties between India and Sweden.
PM Modi is now heading to Oslo, where he will hold discussions focusing on strengthening the bilateral cooperation.
He will participate in the 3rd India-Nordic Summit and hold bilateral engagements with Norwegian leaders.
The visit marks PM Modi’s first trip to Norway and the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister to the country in 43 years. During the visit, he is scheduled to call on King Harald V and Queen Sonja, besides holding bilateral talks with Norwegian Prime Minister Jonas Gahr Store.
The Prime Minister will also address the India-Norway Business and Research Summit along with the Norwegian Prime Minister.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
