Connect with us
Monday,18-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

Messy state of affairs, very unfortunate: SC on legal battle between Param Bir Singh and Maharashtra govt

Published

on

Param-Bir-Singh

The Supreme Court on Tuesday expressed concern over the ongoing legal battle between former Mumbai top cop Param Bir Singh and the Maharashtra government, terming it a “messy state of affairs” and also a “very unfortunate situation”. The top court also stayed all proceedings against Singh — probe and filing of charge sheet — till March 9.

A bench comprising Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and M.M. Sundresh said: “We have had occasion to say earlier that it is a messy state of affairs. Very unfortunate situation…having the propensity of shaking the confidence of people in the police system and the elected system. Process of law must carry on…”

The top court has posted the petition by Singh seeking protection from coercive action by the Mumbai Police in the cases registered against him for final disposal on March 9.

The bench also asked the Maharashtra government to completely keep its hands off with regards to the ongoing investigation till the top court decides Singh’s plea to transfer all cases against him to the CBI.

The bench remarked that if it were to be inclined to pass an order of transferring the cases to CBI, investigation being completed would cause problems. Senior Advocate Darius Khambata, representing the Maharashtra government, assured the bench that in all senses the matter will be on hold, and the court took it on record.

The bench noted: “We have now put down matter for final hearing and if we were to be inclined to pass an order as per what the CBI and petitioner says, investigation being completed would cause problems.”

Solicitor General Tushar Mehta, representing the CBI, said all the FIRs must come to the central investigating agency. Senior advocate Puneet Bali, representing Singh, complained against the Maharashtra government. Bali said the state government has filed challans in one of the FIRs. “They have presented challan in one of the FIR’s. This is absolutely going out of handa,” said Bali.

After hearing arguments, the bench said it will take a call as to whether the investigation is to be transferred to the CBI or not.

The bench was hearing a plea by Singh against the Bombay High Court judgment passed in September last year.

The high court dismissed Singh’s plea challenging the two inquiries ordered by the home ministry for allegedly violating service rules and corruption charges, as non-maintainable.

Maharashtra

Palghar Truck Crash: 13 Killed, 25 Injured As Wedding Vehicle Rams Container On Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway

Published

on

Palghar, Maharashtra: A tragic road accident took place near Dhaniwari in Palghar district on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad National Highway after a truck carrying wedding guests collided with a container vehicle on Monday.

According to preliminary information, the Eicher truck, carrying more than 100 people travelling for an engagement ceremony, rammed into a container truck, resulting in a massive crash. The impact of the collision caused both vehicles to overturn on the highway.

Officials said that at least 13 people were killed in the accident, while more than 20 to 25 others sustained serious injuries.

Local residents and police personnel rushed to the spot immediately after the incident and launched rescue operations. The injured were shifted to the Kasa Sub-District Hospital for treatment, while some critically injured passengers are likely to be referred to higher medical centres.

The accident led to heavy traffic congestion on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway for several hours as rescue and clearance work continued.

Police have begun an investigation to determine the exact cause of the accident. Further details are awaited.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

The Municipal Corporation and the Railway Administration should work together to make Mumbai flood-free, directs Standing Committee Chairman Prabhakar Shinde

Published

on

Mumbai: Emphasis should be given to repair the walls and fences of the railway bridge and widening the bridge outlet. Strong (durable) nets should be installed at the outlet of the culvert. So that along with the drainage of rainwater, garbage coming from residential areas also does not get stuck in the drains. Apart from this, garbage stuck at the outlet should be removed and all the bridges should be cleaned before the monsoon. Standing Committee Chairman Prabhakar Shinde said that the Municipal Corporation Administration and the Railway Administration should work in coordination to ensure that water does not accumulate on the railway tracks and in the areas adjacent to the railway station and to keep Mumbai safe from floods during heavy rains. As part of the pre-monsoon works, the Mumbai Municipal Corporation is rapidly taking up the work of removing garbage from drains in Mumbai. Under this, Standing Committee Chairman Prabhakar Shinde visited the drain cleaning and railway plot cleaning works in the eastern suburbs today (18 May 2026). During this inspection tour, Shinde reviewed the works of railway culverts, drain cleaning, water lifting pumps etc. Prabhakar Shinde inspected the bridge over Neelam Nagar Nallah in Devikarpa Housing Society in Mulund (East), railway flyover over Nanipara Nallah in Railway Yard in Mulund (East), railway flyover over Nallah in Ocean Nagar, bridge over Nallah in Washer. Nallah bridge over Devkibai Chawal in Ghatkopar (East) and railway flyover over Jolly Gymkhana Nallah near Railway Station in Vidya Vihar (East). Local Corporator Rakhi Jadhav, Corporator Dharmesh Giri, Corporator Dr. Archana Bhalrao, Deputy Chief Engineer (Rainwater Channels) Sunil Dutt Russell, Deputy Chief Engineer (Rainwater Channels) (Eastern Suburbs) Sanjay Angale, Senior Divisional Engineer of Central Railway Shri Sachin Panchal and other concerned officers were present on the occasion. During the inspection of the culvert at Nanipara drain in the railway yard in Milind (East), it was found that there is a large population on the western side of the drain and the waste of this population is coming directly into the drain. Since this waste is going directly into the large drain, there is a possibility of blockage in the drain. Keeping this in mind, strong iron nets should be installed on the western side of the drain where there is a population. So that the waste does not come directly into the drain, Shinde directed the railway authorities. The ongoing work of cleaning the drain is satisfactory. However, the work should be expedited to prevent accumulation of rainwater and the remaining work should be completed within the stipulated time. If all the work of cleaning the drain is done, then there will be no water accumulation in Mumbai this year, for this coordination between the Municipal Corporation and the Railway Administration is necessary. Shinde said that both the administrations should work with proper coordination. The walls of all other bridges, including the bridge on Crompton Nallah near Toyo Engineering Company in Kanjurmarg (West), should be repaired before the monsoon season. The Railway Administration should also give high priority to widening the bridge. It should be ensured that the railway cables adjacent to the bridge opening are kept as far away from the ground as possible. So that the garbage flowing in these cables does not get stuck. Shinde said that overall the administration should make efforts to make Mumbai flood-free this year.

Continue Reading

Crime

Dangerous Love Triangle In Mira-Bhayandar: Youth Kidnapped, Brutally Beaten, & Burned With Cigarettes Over Affair With Same Girl

Published

on

Mira Bhayandar: A shocking incident has emerged from the jurisdiction of the Navghar Police Station in the Mira-Bhayandar twin city. A youth was allegedly kidnapped and brutally assaulted over suspicions stemming from a love triangle involving a girl and two young men. The Navghar Police have arrested two accused in connection with the case, while three others remain at large.

According to the information shared by Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) Rahul Chavan, the incident took place late at night on May 12 in the Pooja Nagar area of Bhayandar East. The complainant, Shreyas Mishra, was at his residence around 11:30 PM when one of the accused, Ashish Raj, called him downstairs. Once there, the accused individuals forced Mishra into a car.

The attackers drove him around the Mira-Bhayandar area throughout the night, brutally thrashing him at various locations. The victim also alleged that the accused inflicted painful cigarette burns on his body.

Mishra was dropped back home the following morning. However, as his condition deteriorated and grew serious, his family rushed him to a hospital for medical treatment, which eventually brought the horrific ordeal to light.

Following the revelation, the Navghar Police registered a case under relevant sections for kidnapping, robbery, and assault. While two of the accused have been taken into custody, a manhunt has been launched to track down the remaining three fleeing suspects. DCP Rahul Chavan stated that a love triangle appears to be the primary motive behind the crime, and further investigation is underway by the Navghar Police.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending