Connect with us
Thursday,21-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

Maharashtra: PM Modi To Preside Over Mahayuti Swearing-In Ceremony As Devendra Fadnavis Gears Up For Third Stint As CM

Published

on

Azad Maidan in Mumbai, just across from the BMC headquarters, is set to witness an electrifying gathering this evening as Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrives to preside over the swearing-in of the newly elected BJP-led Mahayuti government in Maharashtra.

The event, slated for 5:30 pm, will mark a significant political moment, with only Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and two deputy chief ministers taking their oaths at this stage. The event promises to be grand and is expected to host around 2,000 VVIPs and an estimated 40,000 BJP supporters—a testament to the political clout and support Fadnavis commands. Full details regarding the cabinet composition and portfolio assignments are expected to be finalized later.

Final Cabinet

While Fadnavis prepares to step into the role of chief minister for the third time, the final cabinet blueprint remains uncertain. Earlier on Wednesday morning, the political drama in Maharashtra, spanning over 11 days, reached its conclusion with the BJP leadership naming Devendra Fadnavis as its choice for Chief Minister. The announcement came after an intense period of speculation following the Mahayuti alliance’s decisive victory in the state assembly elections held on November 20. The air was thick with anticipation as party leaders, stakeholders, and even the public waited for clarity on who would lead India’s financial capital into its next chapter.

In his address at the legislature party meeting, Fadnavis, who has become synonymous with the BJP’s successful runs in Maharashtra, expressed heartfelt gratitude. He credited the alliance’s success to Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s leadership and underscored the slogans that have now become rallying cries: “Ek Hai To Safe Hai” and “Modi Hai To Mumkin Hai.” These words encapsulate the confidence and unity the party aims at projecting since its landslide victory.

“I bow before the people for giving us such a massive mandate,” Fadnavis said, acknowledging the people’s faith that has paved his way to the Chief Minister’s seat. The process leading up to this moment involved a meeting of the party’s core committee, where key figures such as state BJP unit chief Chandrashekhar Bawankule, senior leaders like Raosaheb Danve, and even former Chief Ministers like Ashok Chavan deliberated on the final decision.

In attendance were BJP stalwarts Sudhir Mungantiwar, Pankaja Munde, and Ashish Shelar, as well as central observers like Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman and ex-CM of Gujarat, Vijay Rupani. The proposal for Fadnavis’ nomination was put forward by Rupani and unanimously approved by all senior members, reinforcing his position as the party’s top pick. Following the legislative announcement, Fadnavis met with Maharashtra Governor CP Radhakrishnan at Raj Bhavan. The Governor formally invited him to form the next government.

Addressing the press afterward, Fadnavis was succinct and strategic. “I have full faith that he will stand by us… We will fulfill the promises made to the people of Maharashtra,” he asserted. The role of governance, he emphasized, would be collective, with every decision taken by a consensus-driven leadership structure. A defining moment came when Fadnavis addressed Eknath Shinde, whose faction of Shiv Sena played a critical role in shaping the current political landscape.

“I met Eknath Shinde yesterday and told him that it is the wish of both the Shiv Sena and Mahayuti members that he should be with us in this government. I have full faith that he will be with us,” Fadnavis said, hinting at an inclusive governance model that blends the diverse strands of the alliance.

Cheeky Banter

Adding a note of levity, a cheeky exchange at Raj Bhavan sparked laughter. When asked about the oath-taking ceremony, Shinde joked about waiting until evening, to which Ajit Pawar playfully responded, “I will take it and not wait.” To this, Shinde quipped that Ajit Pawar has experience in taking an oath both in the morning and evening. The remark was a nod to their prior, dramatic stint in 2019, when the duo had briefly assumed office before the alliance crumbled within hours. The back-and-forth was a reminder of Maharashtra’s turbulent political history and the seasoned wits of its players.

Third Term

Fadnavis’ journey has been marked by twists and turns. In 2014, at age 44, he made history as Maharashtra’s Chief Minister, being the second youngest to do so after Sharad Pawar. That tenure, though significant, ended in a rift with the Shiv Sena in 2019 over a power-sharing dispute, leading to a brief, 80-hour government that collapsed when Ajit Pawar rejoined the NCP. In 2022, after Eknath Shinde’s rebellion brought down the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) government, Fadnavis was expected to take over the CM’s post but settled for the Deputy Chief Minister role under Shinde.

This third term, therefore, represents a moment of redemption and a culmination of years of political maneuvering. The BJP’s resounding success in the elections—132 out of 149 seats contested—underscored the strong support from the RSS and the organizational machinery that has propelled Fadnavis into the state’s top seat once again. His leadership is expected to bring continuity, stability, and an ambitious agenda aimed at consolidating the BJP’s stronghold and fulfilling the promises made to the electorate.

As the countdown to the swearing-in ceremony begins, the question looms: can Devendra Fadnavis use this third term to transform his political aspirations into a legacy of effective governance? The state watches with bated breath, ready for the next chapter in Maharashtra’s political saga.

Maharashtra

Mumbai Bandra Mosque martyred, violence, protest: Police accused of stone pelting, situation tense, peace maintained, 10 people arrested, operation launched for more arrests

Published

on

During the demolition operation on railway land in Mumbai’s Bandra area, the situation became tense when a mosque located here was targeted. Muslims protested against the demolition of the mosque and at the same time, the police used light baton charge to disperse the crowd. Local Muslims accused the police of pelting stones at them. A video related to this has also gone viral on social media. An investigation is also underway. So far, the police have arrested 10 accused in the stone-pelting case and a case of attempted murder and rioting has been registered against them.

Tensions flared during the demolition operation in Mumbai’s Bandra East area, when the demolition operation allegedly turned violent, resulting in stone-pelting and clashes with police personnel. Following the incident, the Nirmal Nagar police registered an FIR against 10 identified accused and others under various sections of the BNS and other laws. According to the FIR, the incident took place on May 20 during an operation to remove illegal structures in the Garib Nagar area near Bandra East railway station. The operation was carried out following court orders and instructions regarding the scheduled demolition schedule. The authorities deployed Mumbai Police, Railway Protection Force (RPF), Home Guards and other personnel during the operation. According to the complaint, when the officials were carrying out the demolition operation, a crowd of about 100 to 150 people gathered at the spot and started protesting. The police authorities allegedly made repeated announcements to the people to disperse peacefully. However, the crowd is said to have become agitated and tried to disrupt the operation. The FIR further claims that some people in the crowd started shouting slogans and are said to have tried to prevent the demolition work by creating unrest. During the chaos, stones and other objects were said to have been hurled at the police and officials present at the spot, which increased tension in the area. Later, the police used mild force to control the situation and detained several people. It is said that several police officials were injured in the incident. The complaint specifically mentions the injuries of police officials and security personnel deployed during the operation. Later, the injured officials were given medical assistance. The police have named 10 accused in the FIR and have framed various charges related to illegal assembly, rioting, preventing government servants from doing their duty, damaging government property and assaulting government servants. The matter is under investigation. Authorities are also examining CCTV footage and other evidence to identify more people allegedly involved in the violence. Security has been increased in the area to ensure that there is no disruption of law and order in the future and no untoward incident occurs. After the stone-pelting incident, an attempt has started on social media to give it a Hindu-Muslim and religious color, which the police are monitoring.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Mumbai’s Garib Nagar Demolition Update: Nearly 85% Of Work Completed In Bandra, Western Railway Says Dealing Matter With ‘Humanitarian Aspect’

Published

on

Mumbai: As the demolition drive at Garib Nagar in Mumbai’s Bandra is underway, the Western Railway has said that till now, 85 per cent work has been completed, adding that the operation is being handled sensitively with a “humanitarian aspect.”

While speaking to Media, Western Railway CPRO, Vineet Abhishek, said, “The demolition work has been going on continuously… By yesterday evening, we had completed about 60% of the demolition work, and as of today, nearly 85% of the demolition has been completed.”

He also added that authorities are handling the operation carefully as it involves a sensitive human angle. Officials are ensuring safety protocols are followed during the use of heavy machinery and are trying to help anyone facing difficulties.

“The case is very sensitive. Human angle is involved. We are maintaining the aspect of tolerance and ensuring that no one is harmed. As heavy machinery is running, we are following all safety protocols.”

He further added that more than 2,000 water bottles and packed meals have been distributed to people at the site.

Abhishek reiterated that based on the High Court’s order, the demolition work is being carried out. He said, “The order of the High Court is very clear and strict that, except for the 100 identified structures, all other structures are illegal and must be demolished. We are doing exactly that.”

Abhishek also spoke on the stone-pelting issue and demonstration issue that occurred at the site and said, “There was a brief issue that lasted for 10–15 minutes, but we all saw how our team handled it very professionally. Within those 10–15 minutes, the entire situation was resolved and brought under control…”

Meanwhile, yesterday, officials said that nearly 100 eligible slum families living on Western Railway land are likely to be rehabilitated within the next four months. The assurance comes after Western Railway recently wrote to the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA), seeking action on the rehabilitation proposal.

The development brought partial relief to residents who have been living under fear and uncertainty since the anti-encroachment drive began near Bandra station. Around 500 hutments exist in the settlement, but railway authorities have identified only about 100 families as eligible for rehabilitation.

Continue Reading

Crime

Mumbai Man Among 9 Arrested In ₹225 Crore Crypto Racket Linked To Terror Funding Probe

Published

on

Mumbai: In the ₹225 crore cryptocurrency racket allegedly linked to terror funding, the dark web, and narcotics trafficking unearthed in Gujarat, nine persons have been arrested, including Zeeshan Motiwala from Mumbai.

According to the cybercrime police, six accused, including Motiwala, allegedly entered into a criminal conspiracy and carried out multiple cryptocurrency transactions. Investigators claimed that Motiwala’s Binance wallet was linked to 57 bank accounts, with transactions amounting to USD 2,355,393.

The agency alleged that the accused converted “dirty” cryptocurrency into USDT and routed the funds through various channels to allegedly reach terrorist organisations.

During the probe, officials traced transactions worth Rs226.54 crore through seized crypto wallets and are now attempting to identify additional wallets and cryptocurrency networks linked to the group.

Investigators said the funds, suspected to be connected to terrorist activities, drug trafficking, smuggling, cybercrime, and other illegal operations, were internally transferred between wallets operated by the accused.

The agency further claimed that some wallets were linked to financial transaction chains associated with Hamas and the Dubai Company for Exchange, entities designated by Israel as terror-linked organisations.

Officials also stated that analysis of the Binance wallets revealed links to Abacus Market, a dark web marketplace allegedly used for criminal activities. The accused are also suspected to have used Monero wallets to conceal fund trails.

Officials found that the wallets were connected to several bank accounts allegedly used to receive proceeds from cyber frauds. According to the agency, at least 935 complaints of cheating and fraud have been linked to these accounts.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending