Maharashtra
Maha: Hazare flays, AIMIM ‘dares’ CM, Dy CM to open shops selling wine
Veteran social crusader Kisan Baburao alias Anna Hazare and the All India Majlis-E-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) have strongly flayed the Maha Vikas Aghadi government’s decision to permit sale of wine through supermarkets and local grocery shops.
Going a step further, the AIMIM Lok Sabha MP from Aurangabad Syed Imtiaz Jaleel even threatened a ‘Shiv Sena-style’ of agitation if the state government insists on implementing the decision, announced last week.
“I am giving an open challenge to Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar or any other ministers to come to Aurangabad and inaugurate the wine counter in a supermarket or shop. We shall strongly oppose and break it down if necessary. I will take full responsibility for this,” an aggressive Jaleel told mediapersons.
In Ahmednagar, Hazare issued a statement condemning the MVA decision as “unfortunate” and how it is “detrimental to public interest”.
He claimed that as per the Constitution, it is the duty of the government to discourage addiction of any types, including drugs and alcohol, and to create awareness about these, but it was sad to see how alcohol and addiction are being junked for getting financial gains.
Hazare pointed out how in the recent past, the state government had slashed the excise duty on liquors by 50 per cent, from 300 per cent to 150 per cent with the revenue expected to rise by increased sales.
“This means that even if the people of the state become alcoholics and get ruined, the government will insist on hiking its revenues… It’s indeed unfortunate how the government is giving priority to revenues although the masses are opposed to the move,” rued Hazare.
Earlier, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Leader of Opposition Devendra Fadnavis had attacked the government decision, terming it as “MVA’s special love for the liquor industry”, and vowed that he would not permit Maharashtra to become a ‘madya-rashtra’ (wine-state).
In a significant step, the MVA government on January 27 decided to allow all supermarkets and walk-in stores with a minimum area of 1000 sq. feet sale wine through a shelf-in-shop, with certain restrictions and levies, ostensibly in the interest of the farmers, in the country’s premier wine-producing state.
The state government’s move came barely days after adjoining Madhya Pradesh also permitted liquor sales at all its airports, select supermarkets in four major cities and issuing home bar licences to those earning Rs 1 crore or more annually.
Crime
Indian Navy sailor, wife and two children found dead at Mumbai residence

Mumbai, Aug 16: An Indian Navy sailor, his wife and their two minor children were found dead at their residence in Navy Nagar, Colaba, in south Mumbai, police said.
The incident was reported on August 15. According to preliminary information from the police, the sailor is suspected to have died by suicide, while the deaths of his wife and two children, aged two months and three years, are suspected to have resulted from poisoning. The exact circumstances surrounding the deaths are yet to be established.
Police said a post-mortem examination is being conducted and further investigation is underway. The findings of the post-mortem and other aspects of the investigation are expected to help establish the cause and sequence of the deaths.
Deputy Commissioner of Police Manish Kalwaniya said a prima facie investigation indicated that the sailor had died by hanging, while poisoning appeared to be the cause of death of his wife and children.
The Indian Navy has also confirmed the incident and said it is extending assistance to the investigation.
“In an unfortunate incident at Navy Nagar, Colaba, an Indian Navy sailor along with his wife and 2 children have been found dead at their residence on 15 Aug 26. Investigation is in progress by the Police and the Indian Navy is extending all possible assistance towards the same,” the Indian Navy said in a statement.
The incident has prompted an investigation by both the police and the Navy. Officials are examining the circumstances that preceded the deaths and other relevant evidence as part of the probe.
The identities of the deceased have not been disclosed in the information available so far.
Authorities are continuing their investigation, while the post-mortem examination is underway to determine the precise causes of death.
Further details are expected as the investigation progresses.
Maharashtra
Mumbai: Online single window system launched for permission to build Ganesh Mandals, public can apply for one-year or five-year permission

To simplify the process of obtaining necessary permission for constructing Mumbai Mandap Marmiya, the Mumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has once again made available an online single window system for public Ganesh Chaturthi Mandals in Mumbai. A computerised system has been enabled on the website of the Municipal Corporation for granting permission for construction of temporary
Mandap during the public Ganesh Chaturthi festival. The system has been made available for online use from Friday, August 14, 2026.
Moreover, since the hearing regarding public Ganesh Chaturthi is currently underway. The Mandals are bound by the orders passed by the court and the permission is being granted in compliance with these instructions.
Public Ganesh Chaturthi Mandals will have to submit their applications for permission for Mandap through the BMC website (https://portal.mcgm.gov.in) labeled ‘Mandap for Citizens (Public Ganesh Chaturthi/Other Festivals)’. The applications will be scrutinised by the concerned ward office on receipt. Thereafter, the process of obtaining ‘No Objection Certificates’ (NOCs) from the concerned local police and traffic police will be done through a computerised system. The entire process will be implemented under the guidance of the Divisional Assistant Commissioner and Zonal Deputy Commissioner.
Procedure for New Mandals
Mandals applying for the first time to construct a public Ganesh Chaturthi Mandap* (marquee) on government or private land will have to submit an online application through the website of the Municipal Corporation. After scrutiny of the application by the Divisional Office and obtaining NOC from the local and traffic police, the application will be submitted to the Zonal Deputy Commissioner for approval. Once the approval of the Deputy Commissioner is received and the Mandal pays a fee of Rs 100, the permission for the Mandap will be granted at the divisional level.
Renewal facility for Mandals with five-year permission Renewal of permissions for Mandals who had obtained permission for the first five years (on government or private land) will be processed through a computerized system. Ganeshotsav Mandals who had obtained permission for five years last year will have to submit an online application for renewal of their permission for the year 2026.
The Divisional Office will personally verify that the location and area of the site matches the permission already granted. After this, NOCs will be obtained from the local and traffic police through a computerized system. The permission for 2026 will be renewed after the Mandal pays a fee of ₹ 100.
Two options for Mandals One-year permission granted in 2025
An important facility has been made available this year for Ganeshotsav Mandals who were granted permission to construct a pavilion for only one year (on government or private land) in 2025. Such mandals can apply for the year 2026 only, or for a period of five years from 2026 to 2030. These applications will be scrutinised by the divisional office, and NOCs will be obtained from the local and traffic police through a computerised system. Thereafter, permission will be granted at the ward level on the basis of the application, on payment of a fee of Rs. 100.
Application period for permission for mandap
Applications for permission to construct mandap* (marquee) for public festivals can be submitted through the computerised system between 14 August 2026 and 13 September 2026. The permission for Ganeshotsav mandap is valid till 26 September 2026. 10 October 2026; The permission for mandap for Navratri has been extended till 21 October 2026.
Mandatory training for two volunteers
To ensure discipline at Ganesh Utsav Mandap sites, a one-day training workshop covering topics like crowd management, fire safety, and first aid will be organized at the ward office level. It is mandatory for two volunteers from each Awami Ganeshotsav Mandal (organizing committee) to attend this training.
Emphasis on construction of pothole-free Mandap
Putholes should not be dug in roads or footpaths for construction of Mandap. The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) has urged the organizers to use effective techniques that do not require digging of potholes. If potholes are dug on roads or footpaths for construction of Mandap, action will be taken as per the relevant circular.
Furthermore, Awami Ganeshotsav Mandals should strictly follow the conditions and regulations regarding advertisements as stipulated in the circular of the Licensing Department. Compliance with the necessary fire safety measures is also mandatory for the construction of the pavilion.
Maharashtra
Mumbai: 30 crores fraud in the name of a capital scheme across the state, 4 arrested, 12 lakhs seized, further investigation underway

Mumbai: Economic Offences Wing (EOW) has claimed to have arrested 4 fraudsters by exposing an illegal company called AI Origin and Digital Origin, which used to cheat people by fooling them in the name of high profits. Origin Mumbai EOW has taken major action against ‘AI Origin/Digital Origin’ The Mumbai Economic Offences Wing (EOW) has registered a case against the operators of the company ‘AI Origin/Digital Origin’ and other accused in connection with an alleged capital investment scam. According to the police, the company collected a huge amount of money from the public by running investment schemes without the required approval from the RBI or SEBI. During the operation, the authorities seized cash, bank passbooks, cars, and laptops/electronic devices worth over Rs 12 lakh. Several accused have been arrested in this case, and the investigation is underway by the Economic Offences Wing. More than 30 crores have been invested in this company. This company had also started its offices in Palghar, Pimpri Chinchwad, Sangli, Sitara, Kolhapur police stations. A case was also registered against this company in Ghatkopar Pantnagar, Mumbai. The EOW has arrested the company’s president Krishna Chavan, Ankush Shantaram, Dr. Swadesh Mohte and agent Subhash Pandre. Along with this, documents and other goods and cash have been seized by raiding the company’s office RA Palm. To entice people to invest in this company, they used to send them on picnics abroad. Not only this, the accused used to organize seminars and lure them in the seminars, along with this, they used to create an environment here that made so much profit on investment. The EOW monitored the investment for a month and after that the operation was carried out. DCP Sangram Nishandar said that the Intelligence Unit of EOW has started keeping an eye on such companies that run such schemes and fool people by posting advertisements on social media. Along with this, social media is also being monitored. This company had also lured people into investing by giving them attractive schemes on social media through new advertisements. He said that after the Torres scheme, the EOW has started monitoring the capital scheme and investigating such cases. Mumbai EOW has exposed a scam worth crores of rupees in its operation and arrested 4 accused.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
