Connect with us
Saturday,29-November-2025
Breaking News

National News

India Monitoring Pakistan’s Involvement In Bangladesh Unrest

Published

on

India Monitoring Pakistan's Involvement In Bangladesh Unrest

In the wake of crisis in Bangladesh and former Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina currently staying in India, the Centre convened an All-Party meeting in New Delhi on Tuesday morning. As per the reports, it was discussed in the meeting if any foreign powers are involved in Bangladesh unrest and news about a Pakistani diplomat constantly changing his social media display picture to reflect the situation in Bangladesh amidst violent protests. The Centre said it is monitoring from all angles and powers involved in Bangladesh unrest, reports say.

The meeting was briefed by External Affairs Minister Dr S Jaishankar and attended by Defense Minister Rajnath Singh, Home Minister Amit Shah, Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi and leaders from other parties like TMC, NCP (SP), RJD among others. It was also discussed if Sheikh Hasina will continue staying in India or seek political asylum in the UK.

Sheikh Hasina flew from her country immediately after resigning from the post of Prime Minister following the massive student protests and voilence, which killed at least 135 people on Monday amidst police firings, mob beatings, and arson across the country.

In the All-Party meeting on Tuesday, S Jaishankar said that India is monitoring the situation in Bangladesh post Sheikh Hasina’s resignation. He also said that the current situation is alarming to immediatly evacuate the Indian nationals staying in Bangladesh.

After fleeing from Dhaka, on Monday evening Hasina landed at the Ghaziabad’s Hindon Air Base near New Delhi in a C-130 Hercules military transport aircraft. India had earlier given asylum to Sheikh Hasina in 1975 after her father- legendary statesman Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rehman’s assassination. She continued staying in India for next four to six years.

The events have put India in a tricky situation. Although there is a possibilit that Hasina will fly to the UK after the required clearance and diplomatic decisions, however there is no confirmation from either of the countries.

On the current situation, former Foreign Secretary and ex-Ambassador to Bangladesh, Harsh Vardhan Shringla had said on Monday that it is difficult to say at the moment. but India has never denied safe haven or asylum to those who have been in our neighbourhood. 

Crime

CBI court sentences former oriental insurance manager to 3-year jail in bribery case

Published

on

New Delhi, Nov 29: A special CBI court in Ahmedabad on Saturday sentenced former Senior Divisional Manager of Oriental Insurance Company Limited, Rajkot, Mahendra A. Loonker, to three years of rigorous imprisonment in a 13-year-old bribery case.

The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on the former official.

According to the CBI press note, the case was registered on July 11, 2012, following a complaint by a partner of a private firm.

Loonker, then serving as Senior Divisional Manager at the insurance company’s Rajkot office, had allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs 15,000 to clear an accident insurance claim submitted by the complainant for an injured employee.

“CBI registered the instant case on July 11, 2012 against the accused person on allegations that accused Mahendra A Loonker, the then Sr. DM, Oriental Insurance Co. Ltd., Rajkot had demanded and accepted an illegal gratification of Rs 15,000 from the complainant, Partner of a private company in order to pass the Accident Insurance Claim filed by him regarding the accident and injury of his employee,” the CBI said.

CBI officials arrested Loonker the same day the FIR was filed, after he was found to have accepted the bribe.

Subsequent searches were carried out at his residence and office premises in Rajkot. Investigators later filed a chargesheet on December 3, 2012, against the accused for demanding and accepting illegal gratification and criminal misconduct committed by the accused public servant.

After examining the evidence and hearing arguments from both sides, the court held Loonker guilty and convicted him accordingly.

Meanwhile, the CBI Court in Vijayawada on Friday sentenced a former Railway official to one year of imprisonment in a nearly two-decade-old bribery case.

The court convicted Matta Dharma Rao, who was serving as Assistant Divisional Engineer with South Central Railway in Bhimavaram, West Godavari district, for demanding and accepting illegal gratification from a contractor.

Continue Reading

Crime

No firearms used in Bihar Deputy CM Sinha’s victory procession, clarify police

Published

on

Patna, Nov 29: A day after a purported video showed supporters using guns to fire in the air during the victory march of Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Kumar Sinha in Lakhisarai, Superintendent of Police Ajay Kumar on Saturday clarified that “firecracker guns, not firearms” were used in the celebratory firing.

Vijay Kumar Sinha, who has been elected from Lakhisarai for the fifth time, was welcomed by supporters in a grand procession.

The video circulating on social media alleged that supporters used firearms, triggering sharp criticism. However, the police investigation found the claims to be misleading.

According to SP Ajay Kumar, the device seen in the video was seized and examined by an armourer.

The probe confirmed that it was not a real rifle but a firecracker gun, a device commonly used for fireworks, bird-scaring, and to chase away nilgai and boars that damage crops in the region.

“It poses no threat to life or property,” the SP said.

Locals said that such devices are traditionally used in weddings, festivals, and celebrations involving the fulfilment of vows. After verifying their statements, police released the two youths seen handling the device in the video.

The Superintendent of Police urged the public to verify the authenticity of any video or claim before sharing it online, cautioning against the spread of misinformation.

He reiterated that the firing involved only a firecracker containing gunpowder, not a live bullet.

Following the viral video, RJD leaders were quick to target the Deputy Chief Minister.

From the party’s official X handle, RJD posted, “Fire the bullet, show the double-barrelled gun, intimidate the public – the government of loud speeches has arrived. Now for five years, keep listening to sermons based on stories from 25–30 years ago, because this government is capable of nothing more than this.”

RJD spokesperson Ejaz Ahmed also criticised the administration, saying, “The gunfire that greeted Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sinha shows the true state of affairs in Bihar. While the Home Minister talks about expelling crime and criminals, the government must clarify what action will be taken against those who created fear among the public with such firing.”

Continue Reading

Mumbai Press Exclusive News

Jogeshwari POCSO case: Accused out on bail arrested again

Published

on

Mumbai: A fugitive accused involved in the Mumbai Pisco case has been arrested again by the Jogeshwari police after 6 years. In Jogeshwari, Mumbai, accused Pankaj Panchal, 27, was arrested in 2019 in the Pisco child abuse and exploitation case and was on bail but was absent from court proceedings and had been hiding his identity for the last 6 years. The police received information that the accused had come near the SRA building, on which the police laid a trap and succeeded in arresting the accused from Jogeshwari. The court had also issued a non-bailable warrant against him, after which the police complied with it and arrested him and presented him in the court and the court has sent him on remand. The police are investigating further. This information has been given by DCP Datta Nalawade of Mumbai Police Zone 10.

Continue Reading

Trending