Connect with us
Breaking News


ED reaches out to people cheated by Chennai financier



The Enforcement Directorate (ED) has asked people in Chennai, cheated of their money and property by city-based businessman, Dhanraj Kochar, and his family, to contact it.

The Central government agency had conducted raids at the premises of Kochar and his business establishments on September 29 and 30 and is still continuing with the process of tallying the money and property obtained by his family from gullible people in Chennai.

The agency, in a statement, said that it had conducted raids at six places and made seizures of about Rs 250 crore, including Rs 1.5 crore in cash, gold and diamond jewellery worth Rs 11 crore, and around 150 documents of landed properties.

A total of 40 people have already filed complaints and the ED is expecting more and has called upon other victims to reach out to it.

According to the agency, Kochar and his family members including his three sons, Inderchand, Suresh and Ramesh had conspired and cheated people by offering loans in cash by taking property documents as collateral, along with blank bank cheques.

The Kochar family took general power of attorney in their names and promissory notes, the ED said, adding that their seizure included third-party property documents.

The ED said that irrespective of whether someone had paid the money or not, the Kochars used to transfer the land in their names and the ED received complaints about this and conducted raids.

It also said that the Kochars were charging interest rates of 24 per cent to 48 per cent per annum which was in violation of the Tamil Nadu Prohibition of Charging Exorbitant Interest (TNPCEI) Act.

ED officials said that the department is analysing the full volume of the money and documents seized from the Kochar family in a few days and is expecting more people to approach it.


Youth tries to climb Karnataka dam face, falls 30 feet




A youth, who tried to indulge in adventure by trying to climb a dam face in Karnataka’s Chikkaballapur, fell after ascending just 30 feet, as per a video going viral on social media on Monday, and was seriously injured.

The incident had taken place at the Srinivasa Sagar dam located near Chikkaballapur city recently.

In the video, the youth is seen climbing the dam even as water is overflowing from it. He had climbed up 30 feet amid cheers from his friends, but then suddenly lost his balance and fell off, shocking everyone. The video shows the youth collapsing after the fall.

He had been shifted to hospital and his condition is said to be serious.

Tourists are flocking the Srinivasa Sagar dam which is overflowing following incessant rains.

Police have registered the case in this regard, and district authorities have tightened security at the spot.

Continue Reading


Forex worth Rs 1.53 cr recovered from man at Kolkata Airport




The Enforcement Directorate(ED) on Monday said that it has recovered foreign currency worth Rs 1.53 crore from a person at Kolkata Airport under Foreign Exchange Management Act(FEMA).

A senior ED official said that the search was conducted on the basis of Information received from the Airport Intelligence Unit, NSCBI Airport, Customs Kolkata on the night of May 21 that a passenger has been intercepted along with foreign exchange without any explanation.

“He had travelled from Gorakhpur to Kolkata by domestic Flight No 6E7306. During search, 1998 number of foreign currencies consisting of 1,65,000 USD and 30,460 Euro (Total equivalent to Rs 1.53 crore) were found in the possession of the passenger. However, he failed to provide the source of said foreign exchange and the purpose of travelling with such a huge amount of foreign exchange without any valid document,” said the ED official.

The official said that the said amount of currency was seized under FEMA.

An ECIR (FIR) has been lodged in this connection by the ED.

Further investigation is under progress.

Continue Reading


3 LeT militants, associate arrested for Jammu and Kashmir sarpanch’s murder




 Three LeT militants and their associate were on Monday arrested for the murder of a sarpanch in Jammu and Kashmir’s Baramulla district last month, police said.

Manzoor Ahmad Bangoo, the sarpanch of Goshbugh village in Pattan tehsil of Baramulla, was killed by militants on April 15.

“During investigation in the case of killing of sarpanch of Goshbugh, Manzoor Ahmad Bangoo, three suspects, namely Noor Mohammad Yatoo, Mohammad Rafiq Parray, and Ashiq Hussain Parray, all residents of Goshbugh Pattan, were arrested after receiving information from reliable sources about their involvement in militancy-related activities,” a police official said.

“The arrested persons revealed that they were in contact with Mohammad Afzal Lone, an OGW of Lashkar-e-Toiba militant outfit, presently in judicial custody.

“Lone had directed his close aide Yatoo to motivate two persons from his area to join the militant ranks and he, in turn, contacted Mohammad Rafiq Parray and Ashiq Hussain Parray, both residents of Goshbugh, and motivated them to join militant ranks,” the official said.

Yatoo had directed the duo, along with his brother-in-law Mehraj-ud-din Dar, to meet Lone personally.

“All the three met Lone who motivated them and set targets. He also gave different assignments to them.

“After few days, Lone sent arms and ammunition (two pistols, two hand grenades and two magazines with live bullets) to Yatoo through Dar for Rafiq Parray and Ashiq Parray with the directions to kill political affiliated persons, especially sarpanches, of the Pattan area,” police said.

Police said Lone and his other three associates were arrested in connection with Palhalan grenade blast case.

“Their arrest delayed the actions of the three and they remained dormant until two local militants, namely Umer Lone and Gulzar Ganie of Wussan Pattan, who had recently infiltrated back from across the LoC after doing training of arms and ammunition, approached the trio and asked them about the arms and ammunition and the tasks given.

“They told them to complete the given assignments of killing the ssarpanches.”

According to the police, the conspirators set the target and carried recee of the aarpanch Bangoo (now deceased) and set a particular date for his killing.

“On that particular day, Ashiq Parray talked to Umer Lone through Facebook Messenger and briefed him about the plan which the militants executed on April 15 by killing the sarpanch in the orchards of Chanderhama Pattan.

“Upon further interrogation, Yatoo revealed that he gave the arms and ammunition to Lone… however more arms and few live rounds are still with him which are in a sealed box in his house.

Police said adding that so far, three pistols, two grenades, three magazines, and 32 bullets have been recovered in this case.

Continue Reading