Connect with us
Saturday,23-October-2021

Crime

Delhi HC junks plea against Asthana’s appointment as Delhi Police chief

Published

on

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday junked a petition challenging the appointment of Gujarat-cadre IPS Officer Rakesh Asthana as the Commissioner of Delhi Police.

A division bench comprising Chief Justice D.N. Patel and Justice Jyoti Singh dismissed the petition filed by one Sadre Alam. The bench had reserved the judgment on September 27.

On August 25, the Supreme Court had asked the Delhi High Court to decide the petition challenging the appointment within two weeks. Detailed judgment in the matter will be uploaded later in the day.

Asthana had told the Delhi High Court that the PIL challenging his appointment is either personal vendetta or a proxy war under the cloak of public interest litigation. He contended that there is a sustained social media campaign against him and the plea before the high court was an abuse of process of law. An intervention application filed by NGO ‘Centre for Public Interest Litigation’ through advocate Prashant Bhushan also challenged Asthana’s appointment as the Delhi Police chief.

The Centre had told Delhi High Court that national capital has a specific and special requirement, which witnessed certain untoward and extremely challenging public order problems/riots/crimes having an international implication, therefore the appointment of Gujarat-cadre IPS officer Rakesh Asthana as Commissioner of Police, Delhi, was made in “public interest”.

Justifying Asthana’s appointment, the Centre, in an affidavit, said: “Considering the complexities and the sensitivities involved and also considering that no officer of appropriate seniority with balanced experience, was available in the AGMUT Cadre, it was felt that an officer belonging to a large state cadre, who had the exposure of complexities of governance and who had the knowledge of nuances of broad canvas policing is given the charge of Commissioner of Police Delhi”.

Crime

NCB ‘visits’ SRK, Ananya Pandey’s homes; conducts raids in Andheri

Published

on

By

Ananya-Panday

In a major development, teams of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) paid a formal ‘visit’ to the residences of Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan in Bandra west, and actress Ananya Panday in Khar west, and raided a location in Andheri on Thursday as part of the ongoing probe into the October 2 luxury cruiser rave party.

“The NCB Mumbai Zonal Unit officials visited ‘Mannat’, the residence of Aryan Khan in connection with the (Cr.94/21 case) for seeking certain material related to the investigation of the case from Shah Rukh Khan, by following due procedure of notice, etc.,” said NCB Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede in a statement later.

He also dismissed reports in sections of the media dubbing the NCB trip to the superstar’s sea-facing bungalow as a ‘raid’.

The development, which grabbed national attention, came shortly after the Bombay High Court this morning decided to take up his son Aryan Khan’s bail plea on next Tuesday, October 26.

Simultaneously, Ananya Panday — daughter of Bollywood actor Chunky Panday and granddaughter of the renowned heart surgeon, the late Dr. Sharad Panday — has been summoned to the NCB offices this day for the probe and the actress.

The NCB has claimed that her name apparently figures in some WhatsApp chats of Aryan Khan recovered by the agency, along with others.

As part of its probe into the cruise ship party raids, the NCB has arrested a total of 20 persons so far, and more arrests are not ruled out.

It may be recalled that Nationalist Congress Party National Spokesperson and Minister Nawab Malik had last week claimed that among various Bollywood bigwigs targeted, Shah Rukh Khan was also on the radar of the central probe agency with sleuths keeping a watch on ‘Mannat’ in recent weeks.

Continue Reading

Crime

NCB drugs case: No bail for Aryan Khan, 2 others

Published

on

By

 Mumbai Special NDPS Court on Wednesday rejected the bail plea of Aryan Khan, the son of Bollywood superstar Shah Rukh Khan.

The court also declined the bail applications of Arbaaz Merchant and Munmun Dhamecha, the two accused in the same case.

Khan’s lawyer said that though the detailed order of Special Judge V.V. Patil is awaited, they plan to “appeal to the Bombay High Court today or tomorrow seeking bail”.

Continue Reading

Crime

All eyes on Mumbai special court, suspense over bail or jail for Aryan

Published

on

By

 The Special NDPS Court in Mumbai is the focus of national attention as the bail plea of Aryan Khan — son of Bollywood megastar Shah Rukh Khan — and 7 other youths come up for hearing later on Wednesday.

The arguments in the bail pleas of Aryan Khan, Arbaaz Merchant and Munmun Dhamecha were completed last week and Special NDPS Judge V.V. Patil had deferred the verdict till Wednesday, but the hearing of the remaining accused is pending.

The hearing comes under the backdrop of a senior Shiv Sena leader Kishore Tiwari filing a plea before the Supreme Court Chief Justice N.V. Ramana demanding a high-level probe into the affairs of Narcotics Control Bureau (NCB) and the ‘violation of Aryan Khan’s fundamental rights’.

Meanwhile, the NCB has reportedly found the mention of a heroine in one of the WhatsApp chats of Aryan — who has been inside the lockup or custody for 19 nights continuously since his detention on October 2 and arrest on October 3.

The NCB has reportedly counselled him and other co-accused, offered them their religious holy books like Bhagwad Gita, Quran or Bible, Aryan reportedly is full of remorse and has promised to ‘reform’ himself after release.

However, Nationalist Congress Party National Spokesperson and Minister Nawab Malik has challenged these claims and demanded the NCB should release videos of the purported counselling sessions instead of indulging in selective leaks.

In one of the most high-profile operations, Aryan Khan, along with 7 others was caught when the NCB team led by Mumbai Zonal Director Sameer Wankhede swooped on an alleged rave party aboard a cruise ship on October 2 evening.

During subsequent investigations, another 12 persons, including a foreigner have been nabbed in the same case, while some others have been raided or questioned.

Simultaneously, fingers have been raised at the NCB’s style of working, the involvement of a fugitive and a politician, friends of the sleuths as ‘independent witnesses’, capped by the unprecedented plea to the CJI seeking a probe into the central narcotics agency’s alleged ‘mala fide doings’.

Continue Reading

Trending