Connect with us
Monday,17-August-2026
Breaking News

Sports

Cricket legend Kapil Dev says Viv Richards, Sunil Gavaskar best

Published

on

 Kapil Dev, India’s first World Cup-winning cricket captain, brackets Sunil Gavaskar and West Indies legend Vivian Richards as the greatest batsmen he bowled to.

“Apart from Sunil Gavaskar, because I played alongside him a lot and ghar ki murgi daal baraabar, without doubt Richards,” he said.

Kapil did not translate the daal and murgi idiom for the benefit of his invited audience at the Indian mission on Tuesday. He was implying that ‘we don’t often covet our own greats’.

Kapil took the opportunity to attribute India’s rising sporting stature to parents who are coming out in great numbers and investing in their children’s zest for competitive sport.

Speaking before an audience chaired by Indian consul-general Randhir Jaiswal, Kapil said, in his generation kids would carry their cricketing whites hidden in school bags. And school was meant to study, because, after all, one’s sporting days were numbered.

Kapil confided that while sport was his all-consuming passion at school, he realised even while he was playing that education was important.

Asked why he isn’t big on cricket coaching or administration, the legend left it to a cheerful swipe at sports being run by outsiders.

“Today, a gold medallist can run it, so I go run something else,” he said, talking about Khushii, his omnichannel NGO, started 22 years ago.

Sports

Badminton WC: Sindhu makes winning start with clinical opening-round victory

Published

on

Former winner PV Sindhu began her latest World Championships campaign emphatically, brushing aside Ireland’s Sophia Noble 21-7, 21-11 in just 29 minutes in the 2026 edition at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium on Monday to move into the women’s singles Round of 32.

The fifth-seeded Irish debutant, ranked 141st in the world, found herself under pressure almost immediately against the World No. 9. Sindhu, who raced through the opening exchanges and established an 8-0 advantage before Noble could settle into the contest.

The gulf in experience was evident as the 31-year-old Sindhu, who won the World Championship in 2019 in Basel, controlled the rallies and kept the 21-year-old Irishwoman from building any sustained momentum.

Noble eventually opened her account, but the early damage had already put the opening game firmly in Sindhu’s grasp, with the Indian closing it out 21-7.

Noble returned for the second game with greater composure and managed to stay within striking distance through the first half. She went into the interval only three points behind the Indian, offering signs that the contest could become more competitive.

Sindhu, however, quickly stamped her authority back on the game.

The Indian shifted gears after the interval, winning 10 of the next 13 points to pull decisively away and leave Noble with no route back into the contest. The 31-year-old Indian, who won silver in 2016 and bronze in the 2020 editions of the Olympic Games, completed a straightforward 21-11 second-game win to wrap up her 10th World Championships campaign with an assured opening performance.

For Noble, the match marked her first appearance at the World Championships. Sindhu, by contrast, arrived with five medals from the event already on her résumé and the experience of having been a world champion.

The Indian will now face a more demanding test in the Round of 32, where she will meet Canada’s World No. 49 Wen Yu Zhang.

Sindhu was one of three Indian winners on the opening day so far.

Earlier, top women’s doubles pair Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand also advanced in women’s doubles after defeating Spain’s Paula Lopez and Lucia Rodriguez 21-9, 21-13. The Indian pair will next face the 16th-seeded American combination of Lauren Lam and Allison Quynh Lee.

M. R. Arjun and Hariharan Amsakarunan also progressed in men’s doubles, although their opening-round match ended prematurely. The Indian duo was leading Ireland’s Scott Guildea and Paul Reynolds 21-16, 6-4 when the Irish pair withdrew with an injury. Their next challenge will come against the 15th-seeded Korean pair of Kang Min Hyuk and Ki Dong Ju.

Continue Reading

Sports

1st Test: Padikkal makes 167 as India reach 364/5 despite new ball strikes from Sri Lanka

Published

on

Devdutt Padikkal managed to make a magnificent 167 before Sri Lanka’s spinners struck with the second new ball to restrict India to 364/5 in 94 overs at tea on a rain-affected day two’s play of the first Test here at the Galle International Stadium on Sunday.

Resuming from 288/2 after a completely washed-out morning session and multiple rain delays, India added 76 runs in an extended 85-minute afternoon session, though they lost three wickets to Sri Lanka’s resurgence with the new ball, especially with the hosts being disciplined in their bowling effort.

Padikkal, who resumed on his overnight score of 131, continued his masterclass and showed no signs of slowing down. He flicked pacer Asitha Fernando over mid-on for four to reach his first-ever score of 150 in Tests. It made Padikkal only the third Indian batter after Rahul Dravid (2009) and Cheteshwar Pujara (2017) to score 150-plus at number three against Sri Lanka.

Rishabh Pant (39) looked to attack from the outset after taking the field alongside Padikkal, but fell to debutant off-spinner Keshara Nuwantha shortly after Sri Lanka opted for the second new ball. Pant was looking to attack every ball and on the fourth ball of the 81st over, he charged down the wicket, lost his shape, and sliced a high catch to wide mid-off to hand Nuwantha his maiden Test scalp.

KL Rahul, who returned to bat after retiring hurt on 77 on Saturday due to right forearm cramps, added five runs before Nuwantha extracted a sharp turn and bounce to have him caught at forward short leg by Nishan Madushka for 82.

Padikkal’s 230-ball marathon ended when left-arm spinner Prabath Jayasuriya foxed him with a flatter and wide ball while dancing down the pitch and was stumped by Niroshan Dickwella. Padikkal struck 15 boundaries and a six during his commanding knock, as he left the field to a standing ovation from both the crowd and his teammates.

Dhruv Jurel (19 not out) and Ravindra Jadeja (4 not out) safely negotiated the remaining overs till tea break arrived and ensured India remained in a commanding position, as they look to push for a score around 450.

Brief Scores: India 364/5 in 94 overs (Devdutt Padikkal 167, KL Rahul 82; Prabath Jayasuriya 2-91, Keshara Nuwantha 2-133) against Sri Lanka

Continue Reading

Crime

Messi proposed visit row: Kerala BJP demands CBI probe into alleged financial irregularities

Published

on

Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 14: The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) on Friday demanded a Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the alleged Messi event fraud linked to Reporter TV and its owners, even as the former Finance Minister and CPI-M leader K.N. Balagopal refused to answer questions on alleged GST dues connected with the visit of football superstar Lionel Messi to Kerala in 2025, which failed to take place.

State BJP General Secretary S. Suresh demanded that the V.D. Satheesan government hand over the investigation to the CBI, saying that the controversy had international dimensions involving Argentina, Embassies, apart from alleged financial irregularities.

He alleged that the state government’s name had been misused in the proposed Messi event and called for a comprehensive probe into the financial transactions involved.

He also demanded a criminal case into the alleged GST evasion and said those found responsible should face legal action, including arrest wherever warranted.

Suresh also alleged that serious charges had surfaced against the previous LDF government and sought a probe into allegations of political protection being extended to those involved.

He warned the Satheesan government against entering into any political understanding with former Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan to suppress or delay the investigation.

The BJP leader also claimed that the alleged intermediary (sponsor) in the Messi event faced around 19 cases, including cheating cases, and demanded that the entire financial and international dimensions of the controversy be examined by Central agencies.

Meanwhile, Balagopal, who served as the Kerala Finance Minister from 2021 to 2026 and now sits in the Opposition front row alongside Vijayan, faced questions on the alleged non-payment of GST linked to the principal sponsor of the Messi event.

Known for his sharp responses on public finance during his ministerial tenure, Balagopal offered little on Friday.

He said he did not have any papers on the matter and suggested that officials might know more.

The response was particularly notable given Balagopal’s repeated criticism of the Centre over Kerala’s finances and devolution of funds while he was the Finance Minister.

Continue Reading

Trending