National News
BJP’s ally TMP observes 24-hour shutdown over eight demands in Tripura
Agartala, Oct 23: Normal life was affected in Tripura on Thursday after the ruling BJP’s ally, the Tipra Motha Party (TMP)-affiliated civil society, called a 24-hour shutdown in support of its eight-point demands, including the deportation of illegal migrants.
A senior police official said that to make the shutdown successful, picketers organised sit-in demonstrations at more than 52 key locations across the state and in two places along the railway tracks in West Tripura and Khowai districts.
“There is no report of any untoward incident from anywhere in the state. The situation is quite under the control of the police and administration,” the official said, adding that large contingents of security forces, including the Tripura State Rifles (TSR) and Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), were deployed across the state.
Though attendance of employees and officers in most government offices and banks across Tripura was almost normal, private offices, shops, markets, and business establishments in many places remained closed. Movement of public vehicles on most highways, including National Highway-8, the surface lifeline of Tripura, came to a halt as bandh supporters blockaded roads at several points.
The Tiprasa Civil Society (TCS), led by TMP MLA Ranjit Debbarma, called the 24-hour shutdown on Thursday to highlight its eight-point charter of demands.
The demands include the immediate implementation of the Tiprasa Accord, identification and deportation of all illegal immigrants, setting up of detention camps in each district for illegal immigrants, holding of elections to the Village Committees under the Tripura Tribal Areas Autonomous District Council (TTAADC), and introduction of the Inner Line Permit system to prevent infiltration.
Debbarma, who is also a senior TMP leader, said that several BJP-ruled states, including Assam, Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Delhi, have taken steps against illegal migrants, but the Tripura government has yet to act despite directives from the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
“The BJP government holds elections in all urban and rural bodies, but is not holding the elections to the Village Committees under the TTAADC,” the tribal leader told the media.
The Tripura government had earlier issued a notification announcing that all its offices would remain open on Thursday. “It has come to the government’s notice that some organisations have called a statewide bandh on October 23. Keeping this in view, government offices and public sector undertakings will remain open on October 23. The government workforce will work as usual,” the notification said.
While opposing the shutdown, Chief Minister Manik Saha on Wednesday said that development cannot be stalled by observing strikes in the state. Without naming anyone or any party, he said that although an NGO has called the bandh, people know who is behind it.
“Many NGOs have also opposed the strike,” he added. “The bandh call is aimed at drawing media attention and sending a message across the country that something is happening in Tripura, but development cannot be stalled this way,” Saha told the media.
CPI(M) Tripura state secretary and Leader of Opposition Jitendra Chaudhury, also opposing the shutdown, said that the demands on which the strike was called were not related to the common people.
After year-long deliberations and the signing of a tripartite agreement with the Centre and the Tripura government on March 2 last year, the then opposition and tribal-based TMP, which has 13 MLAs, joined the BJP-led coalition government in the state on March 7, 2024, adding a new dimension to Tripura’s political landscape. Two TMP MLAs, Animesh Debbarma and Brishaketu Debbarma, were inducted into the ministry headed by Chief Minister Manik Saha.
The TMP, led by Pradyot Bikram Manikya Debbarma, had also organised a demonstration in Delhi on September 9 to press for its demands.
The party has also been demanding “Greater Tipraland”, a separate state for tribals under Articles 2 and 3 of the Constitution — and the early conduct of the long-pending Village Committee elections within the TTAADC areas. Since 2021, the TMP has been governing the 30-member politically significant TTAADC, which covers two-thirds of Tripura’s 10,491 sq km area and is home to over 12.16 lakh people, about 84 per cent of whom are tribals.
National News
No move to NDA: Sharad Pawar ends speculation, directs NCP(SP) workers to rebuild from Oppn benches

In a decisive move aimed at dispelling weeks of intense political rumour-mongering, Nationalist Congress Party (SP) chief, Sharad Pawar, has explicitly informed party workers that the organisation will remain firmly in the Opposition and not join the NDA.
Speaking during a crucial two-day internal strategy session held over the weekend, the Maratha strongman directed party workers to ignore realignment chatter and focus on grassroots mobilisation to challenge the ruling establishment in Maharashtra and at the national level.
The internal directive definitively puts to rest persistent speculation that the NCP(SP) was contemplating a shift towards the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance (NDA) or the ruling Mahayuti coalition in Maharashtra.
It also formally closes the door on any potential reunion or merger with the faction led by Deputy Chief Minister Sunetra Pawar.
The explicit stance from the NCP founder serves as a key stabilising development for the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) coalition in Maharashtra, reassuring its primary partners—the Shiv Sena (Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray) and the Indian National Congress (INC).
Rumours of a potential rift within the MVA had intensified over recent weeks following high-level courtesy visits and administrative meetings.
A delegation of eight NCP(SP) Lok Sabha MPs led by Working President Supriya Sule and MP Bajrang Sonawane recently met Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Union Home Minister Amit Shah.
Additionally, Sharad Pawar’s routine courtesy meetings with government executives further fuelled political realignment theories.
Addressing these misgivings, the party leadership clarified that administrative dialogues with central and state ministers are purely intended to pursue constituency development, agrarian relief, and public interest matters — a standard parliamentary approach that does not compromise the party’s core political opposition stance.
Outlining the party’s action plan following the strategy meetings, Maharashtra unit president Shashikant Shinde confirmed that the NCP(SP) is launching a comprehensive campaign across the state.
“Our party President Sharad Pawar personally attended the two-day strategy session and clarified our stand very clearly. NCP(SP) will work as an effective Opposition in the state and at the national level. The party will launch a statewide exercise including tours, workshops, brainstorming sessions, and public agitations focussing on further strengthening the party organisation,” Shinde stated.
Senior leaders, including Supriya Sule and Shashikant Shinde, have already concluded organisational review meetings across four major regions — Vidarbha, Western Maharashtra, North Maharashtra, and Marathwada — with the Konkan region scheduled next.
District heads have been instructed to immediately fill vacant organisational posts created after the July 2023 party split and prepare local units for aggressive street-level agitations focussed on local civic, economic, and agricultural crises.
Political observers note that Sharad Pawar’s firm refusal to align with the BJP allows the NCP(SP) to protect its secular and regional identity, maintaining a distinct ideological separation from the faction led by Sunetra Pawar.
Strengthening district-level machinery positions the NCP(SP) to effectively contest local body and state elections within the MVA seat-sharing frameworks.
Maratha strongman Sharad Pawar’s direct instruction eliminates speculative narratives, ensuring the party mobilises as an active Opposition force across Maharashtra.
Crime
Delhi Crime Branch busts auto-lifter network, three arrested; five stolen cars recovered

New Delhi : The Delhi Police Crime Branch has arrested three alleged members of an organised auto-lifting and vehicle disposal network involved in the theft and resale of cars, recovering five stolen vehicles, 104 forged High Security Registration Plates (HSRPs) and 24 forged Registration Certificates (RCs), officials said on Monday.
According to a press release issued by the Crime Branch, the accused have been identified as Amit Nagar alias Sonu, 35, a resident of Rohini; Atom Jagat Singh, 45, of Imphal East, Manipur; and Potsangbam Mukesh Singh, 28, also from Imphal East.
The Crime Branch said the gang was allegedly operating under the leadership of Nagar and had a network extending across several states. The police said Nagar disclosed during interrogation that he had supplied more than 100 stolen high-end cars to receivers in different states across India.
“In a well-planned operation, the gang leader, Amit Nagar @ Sonu, was arrested following invocation of the MCOCA,” the Crime Branch said in its release.
The investigation began with the scrutiny of vehicle theft cases, CCTV footage and field Intelligence. On May 12, police apprehended Potsangbam Mukesh Singh from Chhatarpur Enclave Phase-II and recovered forged RCs from his possession. A subsequent search of his rented premises led to the recovery of an instrument used for fixing registration plates, 104 forged HSRPs and 22 forged RCs.
At his instance, a stolen Maruti Baleno was recovered from Wazirabad. On May 14, police arrested Atom Jagat Singh and recovered another stolen Maruti Swift from Mukherjee Nagar at his instance.
Amit Nagar was arrested on July 28, following which a stolen Maruti Swift Dzire was recovered, police said. During the investigation, the Crime Branch said it found that Nagar allegedly operated a network through associates who purchased stolen vehicles and arranged their disposal in other states.
On August 13, two more stolen vehicles, a Kia Seltos and a Hyundai Creta, were recovered from Ukhrul district in Manipur, near the Myanmar border, at the instance of Atom Jagat Singh. Police said the vehicles had been stolen in Delhi and were allegedly brought to the border area for disposal and were intended to be sold to underground groups.
The Crime Branch said the alleged syndicate used duplicate keys, electronic equipment and computer-based devices to bypass vehicle security systems and target high-end cars and SUVs. It also allegedly used forged registration documents and number plates to facilitate the resale of stolen vehicles.
The police said the accused operated through associates in states including Manipur, Nagaland, Rajasthan, Punjab, Assam and West Bengal. The investigation is continuing to identify other alleged members of the network, trace additional stolen vehicles and establish the complete chain involved in their theft, transportation and disposal.
National News
Junior doctors across Andhra Pradesh intensify strike to demand hike in stipend

Amaravati : Demanding a hike in stipend, junior doctors across Andhra Pradesh on Monday began a total boycott of emergency services, disrupting healthcare delivery in government medical colleges and teaching hospitals.
Andhra Pradesh Junior Doctors’ Association (APJUDA) had given a call for the boycott of emergency services to press for their demands, including long-pending stipend revision.
About 9,000 resident doctors, medical interns, junior residents, super-speciality postgraduates, senior residents, and doctors deployed under the District Residency Programme (DRP) scheme were staying away from duties, affecting Intensive Care Units, casualty wards, and labour rooms.
Junior doctors in all 19 government medical colleges in the state are participating in the strike.
The phased strike began on August 11 with a time-bound withdrawal of non-emergency services. With no written assurance coming from the government, APJUDA intensified its protest.
Non-emergency healthcare services remained fully suspended across all government teaching hospitals, superspeciality units, and peripheral medical colleges.
The government said it has made arrangements to ensure that patients do not face difficulties due to the junior doctors’ strike. The department of health is continuously reviewing the situation with District Collectors, medical college principals, and hospital superintendents.
Additional doctors are being kept on standby wherever needed. Special arrangements are being made to ensure the uninterrupted functioning of emergency departments, ICUs, maternity services, operation theatres, NICU, PICU, dialysis units, and trauma services, it said.
Measures are being taken to ensure the availability of medicines, oxygen, blood, and essential medical supplies, said an official release.
According to APJUDA, the stipend hike has been pending since January 1. As per an order issued by the Health, Medical and Family Welfare Department in 2009, there will be a biennial revision of junior doctors’ stipends by about 15 per cent.
APJUDA leaders said despite repeated appeals, the authorities failed to give a clear assurance on a stipend hike, forcing them to go on strike in a phased manner.
While APJUDA demanded a 15 per cent hike in stipend, the government has offered a 3 per cent hike for postgraduate junior doctors and a 5 per cent hike for house surgeons and interns.
APJUDA is also demanding implementation of National Medical Commission norms in recruiting MSc and PhD holders to clinical faculty posts. It is also opposing a proposed increase in the retirement age of doctors from 62 to 65 years.
The government said during the talks APJUDA was informed that although the Finance Department is not favourably inclined towards a 15 per cent hike given the current financial situation, there is a proposal to implement a specific percentage increase annually for interns and PG students.
It assured them that this annual increment process would be maintained. The government urged the junior doctors to accept the proposed hike, taking into account the state’s financial condition and the implementation of public welfare schemes.
According to an official release, the government spends approximately Rs 586.08 crore annually on stipends for 9,501 junior doctors.
If the demand for a 15 per cent hike in stipend is accepted, the government will incur an additional annual expenditure of approximately Rs 87.91 crore.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
