National News
Bihar elections: Grand Alliance in disarray as allies clash on eight seats
Patna, Oct 18: Even after the first round of nominations is over, the Grand Alliance in Bihar has failed to reach a consensus on seat sharing. As a result, eight candidates from the alliance are now locked in direct contests against each other, exposing deep fissures within the opposition bloc.
The nomination process for the first phase of the 2025 Bihar Assembly elections concluded on Friday, but the Grand Alliance — comprising the RJD, Congress, CPI, CPI-ML, CPIM, and VIP — has yet to formally announce its seat-sharing arrangement.
Despite the nomination deadline passing, there is still no clarity on how many seats each constituent party will contest.
Internal disagreements have marred the alliance’s coordination.
So far, the Congress has released a list of 48 candidates, while the CPI(ML) has announced 18 candidates.
However, the lack of coordination has led to a situation where the allies are competing against one another in the very first phase of the election.
In at least eight constituencies, Grand Alliance partners have fielded rival candidates.
The RJD has given a ticket to Shivani Shukla, daughter of strongman Munna Shukla, from Lalganj.
Shivani, accompanied by her mother Annu Shukla, filed her nomination soon after receiving the party symbol.
However, the Congress has also fielded Aditya Kumar Raja from the same seat, setting up a direct intra-alliance clash in Lalganj.
Apart from Lalganj, RJD’s Ajay Kushwaha is contesting against Congress’s Sanjeev Kumar in Vaishali.
In Tarapur, RJD’s Arun Shah is contesting against VIP’s Sakaldev Bind.
In Bachhwara (Begusarai), CPI’s Awadhesh Rai is competing against Congress’s Garib Das.
On Gaura Bauram, RJD’s Afzal Ali is contesting against VIP’s Santosh Sahani.
In Rajapakad, CPI’s Mohit Paswan is contesting against Congress’s Pratima Das.
In Rosera, CPI’s Laxman Paswan is contesting against Congress’s B.K. Ravi and one more seat where the Grand Alliance constituent partners are contesting against each other.
Instead of taking on the NDA, the Grand Alliance partners appear to be fighting among themselves, sending a confusing message to their supporters and potentially weakening their electoral prospects.
For the past 10 days, intense discussions have taken place from Patna to Delhi over the seat-sharing formula.
Rahul Gandhi and Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge reportedly tried to placate several unhappy leaders, but their efforts failed to yield any concrete outcome.
As the deadline approached, the situation turned chaotic — parties began distributing election symbols without official announcements, and candidates rushed to file nominations at the last minute.
Crime
No firearms used in Bihar Deputy CM Sinha’s victory procession, clarify police

Patna, Nov 29: A day after a purported video showed supporters using guns to fire in the air during the victory march of Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Kumar Sinha in Lakhisarai, Superintendent of Police Ajay Kumar on Saturday clarified that “firecracker guns, not firearms” were used in the celebratory firing.
Vijay Kumar Sinha, who has been elected from Lakhisarai for the fifth time, was welcomed by supporters in a grand procession.
The video circulating on social media alleged that supporters used firearms, triggering sharp criticism. However, the police investigation found the claims to be misleading.
According to SP Ajay Kumar, the device seen in the video was seized and examined by an armourer.
The probe confirmed that it was not a real rifle but a firecracker gun, a device commonly used for fireworks, bird-scaring, and to chase away nilgai and boars that damage crops in the region.
“It poses no threat to life or property,” the SP said.
Locals said that such devices are traditionally used in weddings, festivals, and celebrations involving the fulfilment of vows. After verifying their statements, police released the two youths seen handling the device in the video.
The Superintendent of Police urged the public to verify the authenticity of any video or claim before sharing it online, cautioning against the spread of misinformation.
He reiterated that the firing involved only a firecracker containing gunpowder, not a live bullet.
Following the viral video, RJD leaders were quick to target the Deputy Chief Minister.
From the party’s official X handle, RJD posted, “Fire the bullet, show the double-barrelled gun, intimidate the public – the government of loud speeches has arrived. Now for five years, keep listening to sermons based on stories from 25–30 years ago, because this government is capable of nothing more than this.”
RJD spokesperson Ejaz Ahmed also criticised the administration, saying, “The gunfire that greeted Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sinha shows the true state of affairs in Bihar. While the Home Minister talks about expelling crime and criminals, the government must clarify what action will be taken against those who created fear among the public with such firing.”
Mumbai Press Exclusive News
Jogeshwari POCSO case: Accused out on bail arrested again

Mumbai: A fugitive accused involved in the Mumbai Pisco case has been arrested again by the Jogeshwari police after 6 years. In Jogeshwari, Mumbai, accused Pankaj Panchal, 27, was arrested in 2019 in the Pisco child abuse and exploitation case and was on bail but was absent from court proceedings and had been hiding his identity for the last 6 years. The police received information that the accused had come near the SRA building, on which the police laid a trap and succeeded in arresting the accused from Jogeshwari. The court had also issued a non-bailable warrant against him, after which the police complied with it and arrested him and presented him in the court and the court has sent him on remand. The police are investigating further. This information has been given by DCP Datta Nalawade of Mumbai Police Zone 10.
Business
Ashwini Vaishnaw flags off Swarnanagari Express, connecting Jaisalmer to Delhi

Jaipur, Nov 29: Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw and Union Tourism Minister Gajendra Singh Shekhawat jointly flagged off the Swarnanagari Express on Saturday, which will connect Jaisalmer with Delhi.
During the inauguration ceremony, responding to the request of Union Minister Shekhawat and the locals, the Railways Minister announced the renaming of the newly-launched train from Jaisalmer–Shakur Basti–Jaisalmer to Swarnanagari Express.
He announced that the train will begin regular operations on December 1.
The minister said that development work at Jaisalmer railway station is in its final phase and is expected to be completed within a month.
“Efforts will be made to ensure that Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurates the upgraded station,” he said.
Union Minister Vaishnaw also confirmed that the railway line between Jaisalmer and Jodhpur will be upgraded soon.
According to officials, these initiatives will significantly improve connectivity, boost tourism, and strengthen strategic infrastructure in the border region.
Ashwini Vaishnaw said that the connectivity will strengthen national security.
Preparations are underway to connect several regions along the Rajasthan–Pakistan border with new railway lines.
He said that extending rail connectivity to these sensitive areas will significantly enhance the country’s security infrastructure.
Under this initiative, new railway lines are proposed for Anupgarh, Bikaner, Jaisalmer, Barmer, and Bhildi.
The minister arrived in Jaisalmer on Saturday to inaugurate a new train service to Delhi.
The minister also visited stalls under the One Station, One Product scheme and made purchases to promote local artisans.
He said that the Detailed Project Report (DPR) for the proposed border-area railway lines is being prepared and will be completed in the coming months.
“A complete effort will be made to connect the entire border region,” he assured.
He added that railway projects worth approximately Rs 55,000 crore are currently in progress across Rajasthan, including the redevelopment of 85 railway stations.
Work is also advancing on multiple new railway corridors and infrastructure projects.
The new initiatives, officials said, will improve connectivity, boost tourism, and strengthen strategic infrastructure in the border region.
-
Crime3 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra1 year agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra1 year agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra1 year agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News1 year agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra1 year agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News1 year agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime1 year agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
