National News
Bengal presents Rs 3.89 lakh crore budget; DA enhanced, housing scheme gets higher allocation

Kolkata, Feb 12: Amid the crucial Assembly polls due next year in West Bengal, Minister of State for Finance Chandrima Bhattacharya, on Wednesday, presented a Rs 3,89,194.09 crore budget for the financial year 2005-26 at the floor of the state Assembly with enhanced dearness allowance and higher budgetary allocation for the state’s own affordable housing scheme for the poor being the main attractions of the budget proposals.
The budget size was Rs 3,66,116 crore.
Bhattacharya announced an increase in the dearness allowance for the state government employees by four percentage points to 18 per cent from the current rate of 14 per cent. The new rate will be applicable from April 1, 2025.
However, the enhancement has not made the state government employees happy considering that even after the increase, the gap with the dearness allowance enjoyed by the central government employees remains quite high at 35 per cent.
The Union government employees are currently receiving a dearness allowance at the rate of 53 per cent. This is the last full state budget before the Assembly election due next year.
However, what has come as a surprise for many is that, although largely expected, even in the last full budget before the Assembly elections, there was no proposal for an increase in the amount paid under Lakshmir Bhandar, the monthly dole scheme for women in the state.
The amount paid under the scheme will remain the same — Rs 1,000 for women in the general category and Rs 1,200 for the women under the reserved category.
The main sectors where the budgetary allocations had been substantially increased include housing, road infrastructure, health and education.
Under ‘Banglar Bari’ (Bengal’s House), the state government’s own affordable housing scheme for the poor, a proposal was mooted to construct 16 lakh additional houses and hence an additional Rs 9,600 crore has been allocated for the scheme.
For the development of road infrastructure under the ‘Pathashree’ scheme, an additional allocation of Rs 1,500 crore has been made in the budget proposals.
For higher education, budgetary allocation for 2025-26 has been earmarked at Rs 6,593.58 crore, while an amount of Rs 41,153 crore has been set aside for school education.
The budgetary allocation for the health sector has been announced at Rs 21,355 crore for 2025.26. The allocation for the fiscal under review for rural development and panchayat affairs has been fixed at 44,000 crore.
On Wednesday, Bhattacharya announced that the state government will provide smartphones to 70,000 accredited social health activists (ASHA) workers.
She also announced a new scheme christened ‘Nadi Bandhan’, aimed at the prevention of river banks at different river banks and allocated Rs 2000 crore for that project. An amount of Rs 500 crore was allocated for the construction of a new bridge at Sagar Islands, the venue for the annual Gangasagar Mela.
National News
Kolkata Police arrest 3 for vandalism at Bengal Congress headquarters

Kolkata, Aug 30: Kolkata Police on Saturday arrested three persons in connection with the attack on the West Bengal Congress headquarters in the city.
At the same time, the police have started a search for BJP leader Rakesh Singh, who is accused of masterminding the attack at Bidhan Bhawan. Police said the arrests have been made based on an FIR lodged by the Congress on Friday against the attack and defacing of posters of party leaders Rahul Gandhi and others.
“Three persons were arrested. Search is on for others, including Rakesh Singh, against whom the FIR was lodged,” said a senior officer of Kolkata Police.
A case has also been registered against the accused persons under the Arms Act. Sources said over 20 people have been named in the police complaint lodged at Entally Police Station in Central Kolkata.
After registering an FIR, police went to the house of Rakesh Singh on Friday night, but the BJP leader was not at his house.
On Friday, a group of BJP workers led by its leader Rakesh Singh went on a rampage at the state Congress headquarters at CIT Road in central Kolkata, burning party flags and defacing posters of party leaders Rahul Gandhi and others to mark their protest against alleged abuses hurled at Prime Minister Narendra Modi during Rahul Gandhi’s ‘Voter Adhikar Yatra’ in Bihar.
The workers at first protested outside the West Bengal Pradesh Congress Committee (WBPCC) office ‘Bidhan Bhawan’ in central Kolkata, then they burnt Congress party flags and tyres. Thereafter, they went inside the party office premises, tore up posters and banners and defaced photographs of senior party leaders.
Following the incident, Congress party’s West Bengal unit President Subhankar Sarkar demanded the immediate arrest of those who were involved in the attack. Led by him, Congress workers also put up a road blockade at Moulali crossing to mark their protest against the vandalism.
The BJP has been criticising senior Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, after a purported video showed an unidentified person using a Hindi expletive against Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his mother from a dais during the Voter Adhikar Yatra in Darbhanga town of Bihar, from where Gandhi, Congress general secretary Priyanka Vadra and RJD leader Tejashwi Yadav had left for Muzaffarpur on motorcycles on Wednesday.
The Bihar Police on Friday arrested the person who allegedly used abusive language against the PM.
National News
Jammu floods: Private water tankers to remain at disposal of Jal Shakti Dept

Jammu, Aug 30: District Magistrate (DM) in J&K’s Jammu district on Saturday ordered all private water tankers to remain at the disposal of the Jal Shakti Department in the wake of the situation arising out of floods.
An order issued by DM Jammu said that floods in Jammu district have disrupted the potable water supply system, and the concerned agencies are working for the quick restoration of the potable water supply.
The order said that it has been observed that private water tankers are operating in an unregulated manner, leading to arbitrary pricing, unequal access, and potential distribution of unsafe water, thereby endangering public health, hygiene, and safety.
“All private water tankers operating within the territorial jurisdiction of District Jammu are restrained from independently supplying or selling water to any household/commercial establishment, with immediate effect,” it said.
The order pointed out that all such private water tankers are requisitioned by the district administration, Jammu, and placed at the disposal of the Jal Shakti (PHE) department, Jammu, for regulated and equitable water distribution.
It further said that all private borewells drilled in District Jammu for filling of tankers are hereby requisitioned by the District Administration, Jammu, and placed at the disposal of the Jal Shakti (PHE) department, Jammu, with immediate effect.
The order directed that all the SDMs are further directed to identify within their respective jurisdictions individuals/establishments running private tankers and to immediately hand over the same to the Jal Shakti (PHE) department, Jammu.
There is a general crisis of safe drinking water in Jammu district after the recent floods, as most safe water supply sources have become muddy and unsafe.
Ten people have been killed and three have gone missing in the landslide and cloudburst that hit Jammu and Kashmir’s Reasi and Ramban districts overnight.
State government officials said that seven people died in a landslide that flattened a residential house in the Mahore area of Reasi district on Friday night.
The officials said that the incident occurred after intense overnight showers lashed the area.
Three people died overnight in a cloudburst incident in the Rajgarh area of Ramban in the Jammu division.
According to the administration, many houses were damaged in the incident, with some completely washed away by the force of the floodwaters.
The latest disaster added to a series of destructive events in Jammu and Kashmir this month, where heavy rain, flash floods, and landslides have already taken a heavy toll.
Several districts in the Jammu region have witnessed large-scale devastation, with official reports confirming that more than 46 people have died so far in rain-related incidents.
In Reasi and Doda districts alone, at least 16 people have been killed as heavy rainfall triggered multiple landslides, swollen rivers, and flood-like conditions that engulfed many villages.
Over the past week, districts, including Jammu, Samba, and Kathua, have also faced severe damage to property and infrastructure.
Crime
Bihar: Nine Years After Journalist Rajdev Ranjan’s Murder, CBI Court Convicts Three And Acquits Three Accused In Siwan Case

Patna: Nine years after the murder of senior journalist Rajdev Ranjan in Bihar’s Siwan, the Special CBI Court in Muzaffarpur on Saturday convicted three accused while acquitting three others.
On May 13, 2016, Rajdev Ranjan, then bureau chief of a leading Hindi daily, was shot dead in Siwan.
He was returning from a hospital visit when assailants opened fire, hitting him with two bullets that proved fatal on the spot.
His wife, Asha Yadav, lodged the FIR at the Siwan Town police station, and suspicion soon pointed towards jailed RJD strongman and former Siwan MP Mohammad Shahabuddin, though charges were later framed against other accused.
The case was later taken over by the CBI, which filed a chargesheet against seven accused, excluding Shahabuddin.
Shahabuddin, considered the main accused, died during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The trial involved six accused – Azharuddin alias Laddan Mian, Rohit Kumar Soni, Vijay Kumar Gupta, Sonu Kumar Gupta, Rajesh Kumar, and Rishu Kumar Jaiswal.
Another accused was declared a juvenile, with his case being heard separately.
After nearly eight years of proceedings, during which the CBI examined 69 witnesses and presented 111 pieces of evidence, District and Additional Sessions Judge-3 Namita Singh delivered the judgment.
As per the judgement, Azharuddin alias Laddan Mian, Rajesh Kumar and Rishu Kumar Jaiswal were acquitted while Vijay Kumar Gupta, Sonu Kumar Gupta and Rohit Kumar Soni were found guilty.
Defence lawyer Sharad Sinha told reporters that the court acquitted three accused due to lack of evidence, while the remaining three were found guilty of the journalist’s murder.
The high-profile case, once linked to Shahabuddin’s political clout in Siwan, was initially heard at the Special Court (MP/MLA cases) in Patna before being shifted to the CBI Court in Muzaffarpur.
The sentencing of the three convicted accused is expected in the coming days.
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra11 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra11 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra11 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News11 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime11 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra10 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News11 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface