Connect with us
Monday,18-May-2026
Breaking News

Maharashtra

A day after Pawar-Thackeray ‘summit’, MVA rubbishes rumours of ‘rift’

Published

on

A day after the late-night rendezvous between Nationalist Congress Party supremo Sharad Pawar and Shiv Sena (UBT) President Uddhav Thackeray, the Maha Vikas Aghadi (MVA) leaders sought to allay fears of any ‘rift’ in the three-party Opposition alliance, here on Wednesday.

Thackeray, along with party MP Sanjay Raut, had rushed to meet Pawar after his remarks to a private TV channel that sparked off huge speculation of fissures in the MVA and its possible repercussions.

Among other things, Pawar had claimed to the TV channel that Thackeray did not consult the MVA allies before quitting as the Chief Minister in June 2022, that set political tongues wagging.

The 75-minute meeting was held in bonhomie and a day later today (April 12), Pawar and Raut said that the MVA will continue to work with renewed vigour for future political challenges.

Raut said that they had detailed discussions on the political developments in the state and the nation, the future implications, among others, and reiterated that there are “no differences in the MVA”.

State Congress President Nana Patole also expressed similar views and said that if the MVA alliance leaders meet other “then what is wrong” and said there was no need for making any wild speculations in the matter.

Meanwhile, AICC General Secretary K. C. Venugopal Rao is likely to visit Maharashtra and meet Thackeray and Pawar in the wake of the recent developments that signalled major cracks in the MVA, which seem to have been sorted out by the Pawar-Thackeray late-night meeting.

The MVA was perturbed by Pawar’s comments last week questioning the need for a Joint Parliamentary Probe into the Adani Group scam, but on Tuesday, he apparently softened his stance and said he would not oppose the JPC if other Opposition parties wanted it.

Later, Pawar and his nephew Leader of Opposition Ajit Pawar remarks on Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s academic qualifications, the reliability of EVMs, among others, also became the topic of discussion among the three allies.

Maharashtra

BMC Conducts Demolition Drive In Bhiwandi, Crushing Hawker Carts; Visuals Show Vegetables Strewn On Road

Published

on

Mumbai: A video showing a demolition drive against alleged illegal hawkers in Bhiwandi has surfaced online, triggering strong reactions on social media after visuals showed vegetables strewn across the road and vendor carts being damaged during the operation.

According to a video shared by the Instagram handle ‘chal_mumbai’, a JCB machine, reportedly deployed by the civic authorities, was seen razing roadside vegetable carts lined along a street in Bhiwandi. The visuals showed vegetables being crushed and scattered across the road as the machine continued the demolition drive.

In one of the clips, a woman vendor was seen pleading with the operator while attempting to pull her cart away to prevent further damage. Despite her efforts, the demolition continued as nearby vendors hurriedly cleared the area and moved their carts to avoid similar action. The operation soon turned chaotic, with damaged carts, broken containers and vegetables spread across the stretch.

The incident comes at a time when the civic administration has intensified its crackdown on unauthorised hawkers and encroachments across Mumbai and surrounding areas. On Friday, Ashwini Bhide confirmed that the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation had launched a special drive targeting illegal hawkers operating around railway station areas.

Speaking to Dainik Navshakti, Bhide said the campaign was aimed at clearing encroachments and improving pedestrian movement in congested areas. She also spoke about the BMC’s ongoing efforts to tackle environmental concerns and infrastructure development in the city.

According to Bhide, Mumbai’s air quality has shown improvement due to regular inspections at construction sites carried out by the civic body. She stated that nearly 3,000 construction projects are currently underway across the city and guidelines have already been issued to control dust pollution.

She further said sensor machines have been ordered to monitor pollution levels at construction sites. “A dashboard is used to monitor whether the air quality index at construction sites is within permissible limits. If any site fails to follow the regulations, municipal officials visit and issue stop-work notices,” Bhide said.

The Municipal Commissioner also highlighted several major infrastructure projects being undertaken by the BMC, including sewage treatment plants, desalination initiatives and the Versova-Dahisar-Bhayandar elevated corridor project. She added that the civic body is planning to issue green bonds and seek funding support from the Centre and the Urban Challenge Fund for these projects.

Continue Reading

Crime

Vasai Shocker: Married Woman, Allegedly Kills Lover, Dumps Body In Blue Drum With Husband’s Help; 2 Arrested So Far

Published

on

Thane: A 26-year-old engineer from Mumbra was allegedly beaten to death by his married lover, her husband and two accomplices before his body was stuffed inside a drum and dumped in a secluded drain in Vasai, police said on Friday.

The Mumbra Police Station arrested the 25-year-old woman and her brother in connection with the murder, while her husband and another accused remain absconding. The deceased was identified as Arbaz Maqsood Ali Khan, a resident of Mumbra who worked as an engineer with a real estate developer in Dombivli.

According to police, Khan had been in a relationship since 2021 with Mehajabeen Khatun Ekran Sheikh, a resident of Vasai. Investigators said the two frequently communicated and exchanged romantic messages, but over time Mehajabeen allegedly began demanding money from Khan, who regularly transferred funds to her account.

Police said the relationship deteriorated after Khan allegedly stopped sending her monthly payments, following which Mehajabeen allegedly conspired with her husband Hasan Sheikh, her brother Tariq Sheikh and Tariq’s friend Mojjam Pathan to murder him.

Cops stated Khan had gone to Dadar on April 3 to collect cash related to his company’s work but never returned home. After his father filed a missing complaint, police analysed his call detail records and mobile location data, which allegedly matched Mehajabeen’s location in Vasai on the day he disappeared.

Police also found that Khan had transferred Rs 50,000 to Mehajabeen a day before he went missing. During interrogation, Mehajabeen initially denied involvement but later allegedly confessed to the crime, police said. Cops claimed she had called Khan to her residence in the Bhoidapada area of Vasai, where an argument allegedly broke out over money.

According to police, the accused found no valuables on Khan and later tied his hands and legs before assaulting him with a plastic pipe, causing fatal head injuries. The accused allegedly stuffed Khan’s body into a drum and dumped it in a drain in an isolated area falling under the jurisdiction of Valiv Police Station.

Police arrested Mehajabeen and Tariq on May 7, while efforts are underway to trace Hasan and Pathan. A case has been registered under multiple sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita, including murder, kidnapping, criminal conspiracy and destruction of evidence.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Attention Mumbaikars! Western Railway Announces Midnight Block On May 17; No Day Block – Check Details Here

Published

on

Mumbai: Suburban train services on the Central Railway and the Western Railway will be affected on Sunday, May 17, due to scheduled maintenance work and infrastructure work.  Passengers have been advised to check updated train schedules and plan their journeys accordingly to avoid inconvenience during the block period.

Western Railways will operate on a major night block during the intervening period of May 16th and 17th to launch two spans of foot overbridge girders at Naigaon station using a road crane. The block will be in force on the Up and Down Slow lines from 1 am to 4 am, and on the Up and Down Fast lines from 2.30 am to 3.30 am.

During the block, all fast line trains will run on slow lines between Mumbai Central and Santacruz. DOWN line trains will be operated on the Down fast line between Bhayandar and Vasai Road. Some suburban services will remain cancelled, with details available at suburban station masters’ offices. Western Railway has clarified that there will be no daytime block on Sunday, May 17.

Central Railway will operate a mega block on Sunday on the Main line between Thane and Kalyan and on the Harbour line between Panvel and Vashi for engineering and maintenance works.

On the Main line, the Up and Down fast lines between Thane and Kalyan will remain blocked from 10.40 am to 3.40 pm. Down fast and semi-fast services leaving CSMT from 9.34 am to 3.03 pm will be diverted on the Down slow line between Thane and Kalyan, halting at Kalva, Mumbra and Diva, and will arrive around 10 minutes late.

Up fast and semi-fast services leaving Kalyan from 10.28 am to 3.40 pm will be diverted on the Up slow line between Kalyan and Thane, halting at Diva, Mumbra and Kalva.

On the Harbour line, services between Panvel and Vashi will remain suspended from 11.05 am to 4.05 pm. CSMT-Panvel/Belapur services and Panvel-CSMT services during the block period will remain cancelled. Trans-Harbour services between Thane and Panvel will also be affected, while services between Thane and Vashi/Nerul will remain available.

Railway officials said the blocks are essential for infrastructure upkeep and passenger safety.

Continue Reading

Trending