National News
Uddhav Sena slams Union Minister’s ‘IIT Bombay’ remark; seeks FIR for ‘disrespect to Mumbai’
Mumbai, Nov 27: The Shiv Sena (Uddhav Balasaheb Thackeray) on Thursday strongly criticised Union Minister Jitendra Singh for expressing gratitude that “IIT Bombay’s name was not changed to IIT Mumbai,” calling the comment a sign of ‘mental slavery’ and demanding a police case be registered against him for showing disrespect to the city.
The Uddhav Thackeray faction of the Shiv Sena, through a hard-hitting editorial in its party mouthpiece ‘Saamana’, claimed the statement was yet another attempt by the Centre to sever Mumbai’s connection with Maharashtra, citing the recent attempt to place Chandigarh under central control as a precedent.
“All self-respecting political parties in Maharashtra need to take this matter seriously,” the editorial asserted.
The Uddhav Thackeray-led Sena slammed the ruling ‘MahaYuti’ partners — the Bharatiya Janata Party, Shiv Sena, and Nationalist Congress Party — for failing to condemn the Union Minister’s preference for ‘Bombay,’ suggesting they had become subservient to Delhi. It urged the Opposition and self-respecting citizens to not only condemn the remark but also launch a “Jodo Maro” (beat him with shoes) protest against the Minister.
“This is the Maharashtra of Chhatrapati Shivaji and Shiv Sena chief Balasaheb Thackeray. Therefore, the self-respect is filled in the hearts and minds of the Marathi people who will not tolerate any insult to Mumbai,” the editorial said.
The editorial further said that the Delhi-based BJP leadership has designs on Mumbai, alleging a systematic “looting” has occurred over the last ten years.
Claiming it as a plot, the editorial further said, “Mumbai should not remain Mumbai and must either be drawn into Gujarat’s fold or made dependent on Delhi. Institutions with a Marathi imprint have been pushed towards Gujarat’s influence, and by handing strategic parcels of land to favoured groups, the rights of Marathi people over the city are being steadily weakened.”
It further alleged that the leadership that tried to bring Chandigarh under the Centre’s direct control was now pursuing a similar path for Mumbai.
“The Centre tried to take Chandigarh out of Punjab’s hands and issued a ‘fatwa’ that it would hereafter run the city. This provoked the people of Punjab, and they agitated. Like Mumbai, Chandigarh is a centre of major economic activity. The Centre hatched a plan to ensure that it (especially Gujarat) would have control over those economic turnovers. It is now becoming clear that they may try the same move with Mumbai too,” the editorial alleged.
Stepping up its attack on the BJP-led government at the Centre, the Uddhav Thackeray camp alleged that a deliberate effort was underway to separate Mumbai from Maharashtra and place it under a Gujarat-based administrator, allowing continued misuse of the city’s resources.
The editorial said Mumbai draws its name from the grace of Mumba Ai or Mumbadevi, and noted that repeated attempts had been made to distort this legacy. It recalled that the Portuguese had renamed the city Bom Bahia, which later morphed into Bombay, and argued that this remained the root of present-day disputes.
According to the Shiv Sena-UBT, Jitendra Singh’s preference for the name Bombay reflected a mindset shaped by colonial influence. It remarked that although the Prime Minister had spoken of freeing the country from the mentality of slavery during the Ayodhya Ram Mandir’s flag-hoisting ceremony, his own minister continued to celebrate a colonial-era name.
“What punishment will he get?” it asked.
Crime
CBI court sentences former oriental insurance manager to 3-year jail in bribery case

New Delhi, Nov 29: A special CBI court in Ahmedabad on Saturday sentenced former Senior Divisional Manager of Oriental Insurance Company Limited, Rajkot, Mahendra A. Loonker, to three years of rigorous imprisonment in a 13-year-old bribery case.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on the former official.
According to the CBI press note, the case was registered on July 11, 2012, following a complaint by a partner of a private firm.
Loonker, then serving as Senior Divisional Manager at the insurance company’s Rajkot office, had allegedly demanded a bribe of Rs 15,000 to clear an accident insurance claim submitted by the complainant for an injured employee.
“CBI registered the instant case on July 11, 2012 against the accused person on allegations that accused Mahendra A Loonker, the then Sr. DM, Oriental Insurance Co. Ltd., Rajkot had demanded and accepted an illegal gratification of Rs 15,000 from the complainant, Partner of a private company in order to pass the Accident Insurance Claim filed by him regarding the accident and injury of his employee,” the CBI said.
CBI officials arrested Loonker the same day the FIR was filed, after he was found to have accepted the bribe.
Subsequent searches were carried out at his residence and office premises in Rajkot. Investigators later filed a chargesheet on December 3, 2012, against the accused for demanding and accepting illegal gratification and criminal misconduct committed by the accused public servant.
After examining the evidence and hearing arguments from both sides, the court held Loonker guilty and convicted him accordingly.
Meanwhile, the CBI Court in Vijayawada on Friday sentenced a former Railway official to one year of imprisonment in a nearly two-decade-old bribery case.
The court convicted Matta Dharma Rao, who was serving as Assistant Divisional Engineer with South Central Railway in Bhimavaram, West Godavari district, for demanding and accepting illegal gratification from a contractor.
Crime
No firearms used in Bihar Deputy CM Sinha’s victory procession, clarify police

Patna, Nov 29: A day after a purported video showed supporters using guns to fire in the air during the victory march of Bihar Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Kumar Sinha in Lakhisarai, Superintendent of Police Ajay Kumar on Saturday clarified that “firecracker guns, not firearms” were used in the celebratory firing.
Vijay Kumar Sinha, who has been elected from Lakhisarai for the fifth time, was welcomed by supporters in a grand procession.
The video circulating on social media alleged that supporters used firearms, triggering sharp criticism. However, the police investigation found the claims to be misleading.
According to SP Ajay Kumar, the device seen in the video was seized and examined by an armourer.
The probe confirmed that it was not a real rifle but a firecracker gun, a device commonly used for fireworks, bird-scaring, and to chase away nilgai and boars that damage crops in the region.
“It poses no threat to life or property,” the SP said.
Locals said that such devices are traditionally used in weddings, festivals, and celebrations involving the fulfilment of vows. After verifying their statements, police released the two youths seen handling the device in the video.
The Superintendent of Police urged the public to verify the authenticity of any video or claim before sharing it online, cautioning against the spread of misinformation.
He reiterated that the firing involved only a firecracker containing gunpowder, not a live bullet.
Following the viral video, RJD leaders were quick to target the Deputy Chief Minister.
From the party’s official X handle, RJD posted, “Fire the bullet, show the double-barrelled gun, intimidate the public – the government of loud speeches has arrived. Now for five years, keep listening to sermons based on stories from 25–30 years ago, because this government is capable of nothing more than this.”
RJD spokesperson Ejaz Ahmed also criticised the administration, saying, “The gunfire that greeted Deputy Chief Minister Vijay Sinha shows the true state of affairs in Bihar. While the Home Minister talks about expelling crime and criminals, the government must clarify what action will be taken against those who created fear among the public with such firing.”
Mumbai Press Exclusive News
Jogeshwari POCSO case: Accused out on bail arrested again

Mumbai: A fugitive accused involved in the Mumbai Pisco case has been arrested again by the Jogeshwari police after 6 years. In Jogeshwari, Mumbai, accused Pankaj Panchal, 27, was arrested in 2019 in the Pisco child abuse and exploitation case and was on bail but was absent from court proceedings and had been hiding his identity for the last 6 years. The police received information that the accused had come near the SRA building, on which the police laid a trap and succeeded in arresting the accused from Jogeshwari. The court had also issued a non-bailable warrant against him, after which the police complied with it and arrested him and presented him in the court and the court has sent him on remand. The police are investigating further. This information has been given by DCP Datta Nalawade of Mumbai Police Zone 10.
-
Crime3 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra1 year agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra1 year agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra1 year agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News1 year agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra1 year agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News1 year agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime1 year agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
