Connect with us
Saturday,30-August-2025
Breaking News

National News

Lakhimpur incident: Ashish Mishra gets bail after four months

Published

on

Ashish Mishra, son of Union Minister Ajay Mishra Teni, and the prime accused in the mowing down four farmers in Lakhimpur on October 3, following a protest by farmers, has been granted bail by the Allahabad High Court’s Lucknow bench.

Mishra was arrested on October 9 last year by the Special Investigation Team (SIT) that was probing the incident.

“Ashish Mishra has been arrested as he was not cooperating during the interrogation and did not answer a few questions,” DIG Upendra Agarwal had told reporters at the time of his arrest.

An FIR was registered against him and a few others over the incident, but the UP Police did not move against him until the Supreme Court decided to take up the matter.

His arrest came a day after the apex court expressed its dissatisfaction with the UP government over the action taken in the case.

Ashish Mishra turned up for questioning the second time he was summoned, and after 12 hours the nine-member SIT headed by DIG Agarwal, arrested him.

Eight people were killed on October 3, 2021, after violence erupted during a farmers’ protest, claiming the lives of farmers and BJP workers ahead of a visit to Lakhimpur by UP Deputy Chief Minister Keshav Prasad Maurya.

Four of the dead were farmers who were mowed down by a speeding SUV, belonging to Ashish Mishra. One journalist covering the incident was also killed in the incident.

Three BJP workers were killed in retaliatory violence.

The Special Investigation Team probing the Lakhimpur Kheri violence incident has said that there was a planned conspiracy to murder protesting farmers.

National News

35-Year-Old Nagpur Trader Falls Victim To Betting Fraud, Loses ₹26 Lakh

Published

on

Mumbai: A 35-year-old grocery trader from Nagpur was recently induced to transfer Rs 26 lakh in nearly 60 different beneficiary bank accounts in seven months under the pretext of returns amounting to crores of rupees through bogus online gaming and betting platforms.

In January this year, the man received a WhatsApp message about online betting platforms for cricket, tennis, football, and 150-plus types of casino, horse race, and binary market-related online games. The message also contained links to six different betting and gaming platforms on which he could register, create his profile, and start playing online betting games.

He received such messages and calls from over a dozen different WhatsApp numbers used by the scammers from January to July 26, the police said. The complainant told the police that he even took a loan to play online games, but couldn’t earn any profits. When he finally did, he informed his friends, who said that scammers deliberately manipulate settings of such gaming and betting platforms, wherein they get benefits, and those placing bets end up losing.

Continue Reading

National News

AIMIM Chief Asaduddin Owaisi Accuses BJP-RSS Of Targeting Sambhal To Push Hindutva Agenda After Panel Cites Demographic Shifts

Published

on

Hyderabad: All India Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen (AIMIM) chief Asaduddin Owaisi has claimed that the Sambhal city in Uttar Pradesh is a “target” for the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) and the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) for implementing their Hindutva agenda, just a day after a panel in its report stated that “demographic changes” have happened in the area.

“Sambhal is on the BJP-RSS target. The fight for justice is being fought. We have hopes with the Court. We have no hopes for justice from the BJP, Yogi and Narendra Modi because whatever is happening in Sambhal, with many people being killed during police firing, it is clear and known what kind of report will come out.

Earlier, on August 28, a three-member panel appointed to investigate the Sambhal violence case submitted its report to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath. The 450-page report consists of details about the November 2024 violence, which took place, and also mentions key details about the demographic changes in Sambhal, where, at one point, the Hindu community members comprised 45 per cent, but their number has since decreased to 20 per cent.

“What is there in the report? You are just looking to implement the agenda of Hindutva in Sambhal. I have full faith that the people will not let this happen,” Owaisi added.

According to the report, during independence, 55 per cent of the population was Muslim and 45 per cent Hindu in the Sambhal Nagar Palika area; however, at the present time, the Hindu population has decreased to 15 per cent, whereas the Muslim community has increased to 85 per cent.

Earlier on Thursday, a three-member panel appointed to investigate the Sambhal violence case submitted its report to Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath.

The 450-page report consists of details about the November 2024 Sambhal violence and also touches on the previous riots which took place in the city.

The report also mentions key details about the demographic changes in Sambhal, where, at one point, the Hindu community members comprised 45 per cent, but their number has since decreased to 20 per cent.

According to the report, during independence, 55% of the population was Muslim and 45% Hindu in the Sambhal Nagar Palika area; however, at the present time, the Hindu population has decreased to 15%, whereas the Muslim community has increased to 85%.

Continue Reading

National News

Bombay HC Disposes Lavasa Corporation Pleas Against MoEFCC Orders, PILs Alleging Irregularities Still Pending

Published

on

Mumbai: Even as public interest litigations (PILs) alleging irregularities in the Lavasa township project remain pending, the Bombay High Court has disposed of three petitions filed by Lavasa Corporation Ltd. (LCL) challenging orders issued by the Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC).

In 2011, the MoEFCC had passed an order accusing LCL of serious environmental violations. However, during the proceedings, the Ministry acknowledged the scale of investment, job creation, and third-party interests linked to the project. It agreed to reconsider environmental clearance, subject to strict conditions.

A bench of Chief Justice Alok Aradhe and Justice Sandeep Marne on August 25 disposed of the petitions noting they had become infructuous after the MoEFCC granted environmental clearance to Lavasa on November 9, 2011.

The original MoEFCC order, dated January 17, 2011, alleged violations of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Notifications of 1994, 2004, and 2006. It was based on a site inspection that found the Lavasa hill station project had caused significant environmental harm and lacked proper authorisation.

While halting construction at the time, the Ministry gave LCL a chance to regularise the project by meeting several conditions, including a penalty, setting up an Environmental Restoration Fund (ERF), and submitting detailed project documentation and a time-bound environmental management plan.

The court observed that LCL later submitted a fresh proposal that complied with these requirements, leading to the environmental clearance.

“In light of the environmental clearance now granted, the challenge to the January 17, 2011 order becomes infructuous,” the bench stated. The court has scheduled the next hearing for related PILs on September 12.

The Lavasa case has been under legal and environmental scrutiny for over a decade, and this ruling marks a significant development in the ongoing dispute.

A PIL has been filed by activist Nanasaheb Jadhav seeking an inquiry by Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the alleged irregularities committed by Pawar, his daughter Supriya Sule and deputy chief minister Ajit Pawar.

NCP supremo Sharad Pawar had then filed an application seeking permission to intervene in the PIL stating that several allegations were made against him with regard to the development of Lavasa hill station.

Jadhav had earlier filed a PIL seeking to declare the special permission granted by Development Commissioner (Industries) to develop Lavasa as void, arbitrary, unreasonable, undue political favouritism, breach of trust and bad in law.

The PIL sought quashing the special permission granted to the Lake City Corporation to purchase lands for private hill station Lavasa. The HC, on February 26, 2022, disposed of the PIL observing that there seemed exertion of “influence and clout” of the Pawar family in the development of Lavasa as a hill station, however, it refused to interfere with the same due to “gross delay” in the filing of the plea and considering that “third party rights have been created”.

Jadhav has filed an appeal before the apex court against this order, which is pending.

Continue Reading

Trending