Sports
Winning U19 Women’s T20 WC is the happiest moment I’ve ever felt, says Parunika Sisodia
New Delhi, Feb 7: In the cricketing world, moments of pure euphoria are rare. But for Parunika Sisodia, the pure thrill and ecstasy of winning the U19 Women’s T20 World Cup for India, turned out to be the happiest moment she’s ever felt in her lifetime.
When Sanika Chalke hit a boundary off Monalisa Legodi at Kuala Lumpur’s Bayuemas Oval on February 2, it meant that India clinched the 2025 U19 Women’s T20 World Cup trophy and successfully defended the title they won in South Africa two years ago.
“Oh, I think I’ve never felt so well (when that winning shot was hit). I mean, what I felt after winning that World Cup, it was a dream for me because as I’ve told you earlier, I was not there in the first inaugural World Cup win, as I just missed the cut for it.
“Since then, to be actually going there and winning that World Cup for India, that moment was giving me goosebumps. Even talking about it is literally giving me goosebumps now, and that was like the happiest moment I’ve ever felt.”
Talking about celebrations in the Indian camp after winning the World Cup, Parunika said it was nothing short of epic. “I think we had no idea what we were doing. We were so happy that we were just raising our hands. We were just laughing and just soaking in that moment that we have finally won the World Cup.
“Everyone went crazy – someone was dancing on the ground; someone was lying on the ground. We had like quite an interesting photo shoot over there, which you must have seen now on all of our posts – the pookie one and then Bhavika (Ahire) did this Hardik Pandya-styled celebration. I guess there’s more of it, which is going to come now on social media.”
Parunika’s journey from missing out on triumph in 2023 to claiming ten wickets in the winning 2025 campaign highlights her consistent self-improvement and focus on being one of the main contributors to the team’s success in Malaysia.
“All I have ever worked on from the last two years, like how to make myself useful for the team and how to do things in ways where I can make sure that the team will win from here. When the World Cup came, I saw that I was doing it. So I was very excited to come back home and see my videos on how I have done it, because I know somewhere that I have achieved a little part of it,” she said.
One of her defining performances in the tournament came in the semi-final against England, where India were struggling to break the opening partnership. But Parunika came in and got the first two wickets before taking another one late in the innings to pick 3-21 and the Player-of-the-Match award.
While everyone may have felt the pressure of bouncing back in a crucial semi-final game, Parunika remarked that inside the Indian camp, the atmosphere was strikingly calm. “To be honest, inside the team, we didn’t have that much of pressure, which people could feel outside.
“But inside it was quite calm, and we just knew that there’s going to be one good ball and we’re going to get back in the game. That ball came with me because I think at that point of time, I had made that much trust in my team that if I am there, you’re going to be okay. Not just me, I think whenever the left arm spinners come, that gives a lot of pressure to the other teams.”
A big factor in India’s second consecutive U19 World Cup triumph was the left-arm spin—bowling group functioning like a well-oiled machine. Vaishnavi Sharma topped the wicket-taking charts with 17 scalps, while Aayushi Shukla took 14 wickets, as the duo along with Parunika became three of the four highest wicket-takers in the competition.
“We have been playing together for so long that all of us are family only. When any one of us was getting wickets, it literally felt like, ‘it’s our wicket’. There was this thing which we created is, whenever we were in the World Cup, when any of us was bowling, we were just looking in the eyes and we just knew what other person was saying to us.
“I think that has been the best part in this spinners group that you just know what the other person is doing and what I have to do next. Like, how the batters in our team have showed partnerships, I think the bowlers have done the same as a bowling side too,” added Parunika.
VVS Laxman, head of cricket at the BCCI Centre of Excellence, joined the Indian team in the dugout before the knockout matches and Parunika said he motivated the team by saying a lot of good things.
“But it concluded on one thing – just be calm at any given moment and always keep things simple and not overthink much and overdo things. I think it was something which helped all of us there in the finals and the semis as well.”
It also helped India that they had a calm captain in Niki Prasad, who just like Parunika put behind the disappointment of not making the squad for the previous U19 World Cup which India won under Shafali Verma’s captaincy.
But since December, Niki stepped up to lead India to winning the inaugural U19 Asia Cup and retaining the U19 World Cup silverware. A ruthless and dominant playing style, as laid down by Niki, led to both trophy wins, which in turn has set the foundation for creating a lasting legacy in women’s cricket in India.
“I think she (Niki) is one of the calmest persons I have ever met. So, even if, a lot of times it has happened that I or, one of the girls from the left-armers group did something which can piss anyone off.
“But she was calm and gave a very calm response that ‘don’t do that, do it like this’. She has always given a positive response to us. I think that was something which also helped us to be there and be ourselves.
“It’s been very special because getting 2 trophies, one with ICC and one with ACC, we are creating that legacy in women’s cricket now to keep winning those trophies.
“As Niki has mentioned a lot of times that we are here to dominate, and that was the goal – to be out there, be ruthless and just go for it no matter what. It is something which has given us a very good result. So, we feel quite satisfied with that. But definitely, we are focused on the coming up things now,” elaborated Parunika.
Prior to every game, Parunika always seek guidance from her father Sudhir Singh Sisodia, who is a cricket coach and was the one who encouraged her to switch from tennis to cricket in 2018.
“My dad didn’t talk much about how everyone is feeling at home. The only conversations we had were he always just told me ‘all the best, do well, enjoy the game and be yourself out there’.”
“The conversation has always been this for every single day since the time I was there from Asia Cup to the World Cup. He has told me to just go ahead, do well and let the results be results, and even if we were winning, he just told whatever is done is done.”
Although Parunika had two big months with trophy wins, her ambitions extend beyond that. Her sights are set on bigger goals, such as playing for India’s senior women’s team. She also knows that steady progress is essential to accomplishing her main goal.
“Obviously, stepping into the senior team is the main goal. But for now, I think I have my domestic cricket coming up, the under-23 one-dayers and the multi-days. So, I’ll be focusing on that for now. Then we have this Emerging Asia Cup, so, I’m eyeing that too,” she signed off.
Sports
FIFA sacks chief operating officer after criticism of Infantino’s sell-off plan

New Delhi : FIFA has reportedly sacked its chief operating officer Kevin Lamour after he criticised president Gianni Infantino’s plan to sell stakes in the World Cup to investors.
The staff of the world body were informed of the development via an email from its secretary general, Mattias Grafstorm, who told the organisation that the two parties have “agreed to part ways”.
A report in BBC Sport quoted a FIFA spokesperson saying that “the working relationship between FIFA and Kevin Lamour as Chief Operating Officer has ended on 17 August 2026. FIFA thanks Kevin for his two years of service and wishes him the best of luck for the future.”
The report further quoted the letter sent to the staff, saying that the decision was made after ‘careful consideration’. “I would like to provide you with an important update regarding a change within the FIFA Administration.
“Following recent discussions, FIFA and our Chief Operating Officer, Kevin Lamour, have agreed to part ways. This decision was made after careful consideration and with great respect for Kevin, both personally and professionally… I felt it was important that I personally provide you with this update, and I would like to express my gratitude to Kevin for these contributions and for his work and commitment on behalf of FIFA on a daily basis. I wish Kevin all the best for the future,” it said.
This came after Lamour criticised Infantino’s plan to sell the stakes of the World Cup, which was later abandoned by the 56-year-old after he received severe backlash from UEFA, AFC and CONCACAF. Lamour had called the sell-off plan “the project of one person”.
He further stated that the FIFA administration was “deceived” about the abandoned plan. “Our mission – the mission of the hundreds of passionate, dedicated, and exemplary FIFA employees – is to serve football. A president must bring people together, unite them, and inspire them. Today, we are experiencing the opposite,” he had said.
Lamour went vocal and was not worried about his job in the governing body. “If that means I lose my job, then so be it,” he added. “I will understand and respect that decision. At least I’ll sleep well tonight.”
Recently, UEFA, CONCACAF and AFC accused the world governing body of “fundamental breach of trust” and “deception” over the management of the plans to sell the World Cup stakes. The three bodies had hit out at Infantino. “This is about something more fundamental: the integrity of the game, and the integrity of those elected to lead it,” the joint statement read.
“Leadership in football is not a possession. It is not about holding – or demanding – power to be held. It is a duty of service to the football family that entrusts it. When trust is broken through deception, when an individual places himself above the collective that entrusted him with authority, that duty has been abandoned.”
Sports
Badminton WC: Sindhu makes winning start with clinical opening-round victory

Former winner PV Sindhu began her latest World Championships campaign emphatically, brushing aside Ireland’s Sophia Noble 21-7, 21-11 in just 29 minutes in the 2026 edition at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium on Monday to move into the women’s singles Round of 32.
The fifth-seeded Irish debutant, ranked 141st in the world, found herself under pressure almost immediately against the World No. 9. Sindhu, who raced through the opening exchanges and established an 8-0 advantage before Noble could settle into the contest.
The gulf in experience was evident as the 31-year-old Sindhu, who won the World Championship in 2019 in Basel, controlled the rallies and kept the 21-year-old Irishwoman from building any sustained momentum.
Noble eventually opened her account, but the early damage had already put the opening game firmly in Sindhu’s grasp, with the Indian closing it out 21-7.
Noble returned for the second game with greater composure and managed to stay within striking distance through the first half. She went into the interval only three points behind the Indian, offering signs that the contest could become more competitive.
Sindhu, however, quickly stamped her authority back on the game.
The Indian shifted gears after the interval, winning 10 of the next 13 points to pull decisively away and leave Noble with no route back into the contest. The 31-year-old Indian, who won silver in 2016 and bronze in the 2020 editions of the Olympic Games, completed a straightforward 21-11 second-game win to wrap up her 10th World Championships campaign with an assured opening performance.
For Noble, the match marked her first appearance at the World Championships. Sindhu, by contrast, arrived with five medals from the event already on her résumé and the experience of having been a world champion.
The Indian will now face a more demanding test in the Round of 32, where she will meet Canada’s World No. 49 Wen Yu Zhang.
Sindhu was one of three Indian winners on the opening day so far.
Earlier, top women’s doubles pair Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand also advanced in women’s doubles after defeating Spain’s Paula Lopez and Lucia Rodriguez 21-9, 21-13. The Indian pair will next face the 16th-seeded American combination of Lauren Lam and Allison Quynh Lee.
M. R. Arjun and Hariharan Amsakarunan also progressed in men’s doubles, although their opening-round match ended prematurely. The Indian duo was leading Ireland’s Scott Guildea and Paul Reynolds 21-16, 6-4 when the Irish pair withdrew with an injury. Their next challenge will come against the 15th-seeded Korean pair of Kang Min Hyuk and Ki Dong Ju.
Sports
1st Test: Padikkal makes 167 as India reach 364/5 despite new ball strikes from Sri Lanka

Devdutt Padikkal managed to make a magnificent 167 before Sri Lanka’s spinners struck with the second new ball to restrict India to 364/5 in 94 overs at tea on a rain-affected day two’s play of the first Test here at the Galle International Stadium on Sunday.
Resuming from 288/2 after a completely washed-out morning session and multiple rain delays, India added 76 runs in an extended 85-minute afternoon session, though they lost three wickets to Sri Lanka’s resurgence with the new ball, especially with the hosts being disciplined in their bowling effort.
Padikkal, who resumed on his overnight score of 131, continued his masterclass and showed no signs of slowing down. He flicked pacer Asitha Fernando over mid-on for four to reach his first-ever score of 150 in Tests. It made Padikkal only the third Indian batter after Rahul Dravid (2009) and Cheteshwar Pujara (2017) to score 150-plus at number three against Sri Lanka.
Rishabh Pant (39) looked to attack from the outset after taking the field alongside Padikkal, but fell to debutant off-spinner Keshara Nuwantha shortly after Sri Lanka opted for the second new ball. Pant was looking to attack every ball and on the fourth ball of the 81st over, he charged down the wicket, lost his shape, and sliced a high catch to wide mid-off to hand Nuwantha his maiden Test scalp.
KL Rahul, who returned to bat after retiring hurt on 77 on Saturday due to right forearm cramps, added five runs before Nuwantha extracted a sharp turn and bounce to have him caught at forward short leg by Nishan Madushka for 82.
Padikkal’s 230-ball marathon ended when left-arm spinner Prabath Jayasuriya foxed him with a flatter and wide ball while dancing down the pitch and was stumped by Niroshan Dickwella. Padikkal struck 15 boundaries and a six during his commanding knock, as he left the field to a standing ovation from both the crowd and his teammates.
Dhruv Jurel (19 not out) and Ravindra Jadeja (4 not out) safely negotiated the remaining overs till tea break arrived and ensured India remained in a commanding position, as they look to push for a score around 450.
Brief Scores: India 364/5 in 94 overs (Devdutt Padikkal 167, KL Rahul 82; Prabath Jayasuriya 2-91, Keshara Nuwantha 2-133) against Sri Lanka
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
