Connect with us
Wednesday,19-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

Visionary and courageous’, Congress pays tributes to Rajiv Gandhi on his 34th death anniversary

Published

on

New Delhi, May 21: Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha, Rahul Gandhi, and Congress National President Mallikarjun Kharge on Wednesday paid heartfelt tributes to former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi on the occasion of his 34th death anniversary.

Both leaders arrived at Veer Bhumi in New Delhi to offer their solemn respects to the late Prime Minister.

Rajiv Gandhi, who served as India’s Prime Minister from 1984 to 1989, assumed office following the assassination of his mother, then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi. At the age of 40, he became the youngest Prime Minister in Indian history.

Rajiv Gandhi led the country until the 1989 general elections, after which he served as the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha. He resigned in December 1990, just six months before he was assassinated in a brutal terrorist attack.

Marking the occasion, the Congress party shared a tribute on X, stating, “On the death anniversary of the late Shri Rajiv Gandhi, the leader of opposition, Rahul Gandhi visited ‘Veer Bhumi’ and paid his emotional tribute to him. The excellent work done by Rajiv Gandhi in the national interest can never be forgotten.”

Earlier in the day, Mallikarjun Kharge also paid homage to the former leader through a post on X, calling Rajiv Gandhi “a great son of India” who inspired hope among millions.

He wrote, “His visionary and courageous interventions were instrumental in preparing India for the challenges and opportunities of the 21st Century.”

Kharge highlighted some of Rajiv Gandhi’s key contributions to India, stating, “These include lowering the voting age to 18, strengthening Panchayati Raj, spearheading the Telecom and IT revolution, implementing a computerisation program, securing sustained peace accords, launching a universal immunisation program, and introducing a new education policy focused on inclusive learning.”

He concluded his tribute stating, “Our deepest respects to the Former PM, Bharat Ratna, Rajiv Gandhi on his martyrdom day.”

Several other Congress leaders also visited Veer Bhumi to pay their respects.

Congress leader Pawan Khera, speaking to Media, said, “The inspiration this family has given us to shed blood for the country is priceless. It feels like the nation was unfortunate to have lost Rajiv Gandhi at such a young age. Had he been with us today, the history of this country would have been very different and much better.”

Congress veteran Sushil Kumar Shinde also paid homage and told Media, “Whenever we come here, we pay our respects at Veer Bhumi. The contributions Rajiv Gandhi made to our country, especially during this transformative era, will never be forgotten by this nation. What he did for our country is something the nation will always remember.”

Crime

BJP appeasing its ‘communal’ supporters with raids on those building universities: Akhilesh Yadav

Published

on

Lucknow, Aug 19: Samajwadi Party (SP) chief, Akhilesh Yadav, on Wednesday launched a strong attack on the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) over the Enforcement Directorate (ED) searches at several locations linked to jailed former Rampur MP, Azam Khan.

Yadav accused the BJP of targeting those involved in establishing educational institutions while “ignoring” other individuals facing allegations of corruption and wrongdoing.

Taking to social media, Yadav claimed that the action was intended to appease the BJP’s remaining 1-2 per cent “communal, narrow-minded” supporters.

“Anti-education, anti-teacher, and anti-student BJP members and their allies, who shut down schools, are conducting ED raids against those building universities, just so they can appease their remaining 1-2 per cent supporters who cling to communal, narrow-minded illogical thinking, while no action is being taken against those corrupt individuals involved in the following criminal scandals,” Yadav posted on X, while listing several alleged “scandals”.

In the list, the SP chief referred to the Ram Temple donation theft case, the codeine scandal and the poor condition of several expressways while questioning the BJP government over its handling of these issues.

Yadav claimed that several major roads and infrastructure projects in Uttar Pradesh have deteriorated during the BJP government’s tenure. He claimed that the Bundelkhand Expressway has fallen into disrepair, while the Purvanchal Expressway has become rutted and the Kanpur-Lucknow Expressway has developed numerous potholes.

The Kannauj MP further questioned the BJP government over alleged cracks in the green corridor, damaged roads, deteriorating bridges, collapsing water tanks, leaking roofs and station walls that he claimed were falling apart.

Yadav also raised allegations concerning corruption involving police officials in BJP-ruled states, claiming that corrupt officers have been caught not only in Uttar Pradesh but also in other states. He questioned the alleged misappropriation of funds during the Maha Kumbh Mela and raised allegations of widespread corruption in the implementation of Smart City projects.

The SP chief further alleged that BJP representatives were involved in illegal construction on land that had not received the necessary approvals.

He questioned why action was allegedly not being taken against those facing such allegations while the ED was conducting searches against individuals associated with the establishment of universities.

Yadav also claimed that a purported distribution involving around Rs 7,000 crore had taken place, claiming that a layer of publicity was added to the alleged wrongdoing and objectionable statements in an attempt to divert attention from the issue.

His remarks came after the ED conducted searches at multiple locations in Uttar Pradesh and Delhi in connection with a money laundering investigation linked to Azam Khan and matters concerning the Mohammad Ali Jauhar University and its associated trust.

Continue Reading

Crime

Rs 5 Cr spurious drug racket unearthed in K’taka; Health Minister calls for interstate probe

Published

on

Bengaluru: A racket involving spurious drugs allegedly carrying labels of multinational pharmaceutical companies has been unearthed in Ramanagara district, with drugs worth over Rs 5 crore seized, Health Minister U.T. Khader said on Wednesday. Seeking an interstate probe, Khader said initial investigation has revealed possible links to fake drug manufacturing units operating in other parts of the country.

The racket came to light after beat police personnel alerted the authorities on Tuesday evening. Acting swiftly on the information, officials from the Drug Control Department and the Commissionerate of Food Safety and Drug Administration conducted a raid at a farmhouse in Bidadi, where the spurious drugs were allegedly stored and repacked before being supplied to pharmaceutical outlets and hospitals.

One person, identified as Prabhudev, has been arrested in connection with the case. Ramanagara Superintendent of Police is currently conducting the investigation.

Khader said preliminary investigation has revealed possible links to fake drug manufacturing units operating in Telangana, Himachal Pradesh and other parts of the country.

The accused allegedly procure drugs at very low prices and relabel them using the names and labels of multinational pharmaceutical companies before supplying them to hospitals and medical outlets.

“Even tablets used in ICUs are being faked and labelled with multinational companies’ names. If an injection costs Rs 20,000, they supply it for Rs 5,000 to Rs 6,000 to hospitals,” Khader said, describing the racket as a serious issue that extends beyond Karnataka.

The minister said the premises where the drugs were stored was operating without a valid licence. Officials are also investigating whether labels and stickers used on the spurious medicines were manufactured locally or procured from other sources.

“We suspect that the accused may have procured labels and stickers from hospitals and used them for fake drugs,” Khader said.

According to the minister, the suspected racket has several layers, including the procurement of raw materials and medicines, logistics, repackaging, distribution and supply to hospitals and medical shops. Authorities are now trying to identify the middlemen involved and the hospitals and outlets that may have received the spurious medicines.

Khader said the main accused, identified as Prashanth, is believed to be based in Dubai, while Tejas has been identified as the person operating on the ground. Prabhudev has been arrested and is being questioned to establish the entire supply chain.

The minister said the case cannot be treated as a Karnataka-only issue as the suspected network involves multiple states and an accused allegedly based outside the country. He called for a coordinated investigation involving the state and Central governments.

“I have already spoken to the Union Health Minister and the Home Ministry. The Health and Home departments should have a joint team to investigate the matter,” Khader said.

He said he would also discuss the matter with Karnataka Home Minister Priyank Kharge and seek the formation of a Special Investigation Team to probe the interstate and international links.

Khader said authorities need to establish where the spurious drugs originated, who provided logistical support, how the medicines reached Karnataka, who acted as intermediaries and which hospitals and medical shops purchased them.

He also warned that establishments procuring medicines at unusually low prices could come under scrutiny as part of the investigation.

The minister said the Drug Control Department has a database containing details of more than 12 lakh medicines and that authorities routinely identify and ban spurious drugs when they enter the market.

Khader praised the officials who conducted the raid and said the government would consider rewarding personnel involved in uncovering the racket.

“This is not limited to Karnataka. Such factories may be operating across the country. We need a separate and coordinated investigation considering the logistics, supply chain and consumers,” he said.

Officials have so far seized spurious medicines worth more than Rs 5 crore. Further details are expected as the Ramanagara police investigation progresses.

Continue Reading

Crime

Kolkata hotel fire: Five-member police team to conduct probe

Published

on

Kolkata, Aug 19: Kolkata Police, on Wednesday, announced the formation of a five-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the fire incident at a hotel on Mirza Ghalib Street in central Kolkata, which claimed nine lives, including two women and a child.

Informing the media persons, Joint Commissioner (Crime) of Kolkata Police Kunal Agarwal said the SIT will be headed by a Deputy Commissioner-rank officer, who is currently attached to the detective department of the city police.

Already, the local New Market Police station, under whose jurisdiction the said hotel building comes, has registered a suo motu case in the matter. A separate complaint had also been launched in the matter by the state fire services department.

The police, however, have not yet disclosed the identity of the nine persons killed in the fire incident.

Mirza Ghalib Street area has several cheap hotels, accommodating people coming as tourists from other states and even other countries. Since a major section of those staying in these hotels are from neighbouring Bangladesh coming to Kolkata for medical tourism, there is a possibility that Bangladeshis may be among those nine persons who have been killed in the fire.

State Municipal Affairs and Urban Development Minister Agnimitra Paul, who visited the spot of the fire, blamed the previous Trinamool Congress regime and the private power generation-cum-distribution entity, CESC Limited, for the mishap.

“How could the fire services department give permission to run the hotel without a minimum fire safety arrangement in place? How could CESC Limited give electricity connection? What were the Kolkata Municipal Corporation Authorities doing? All of them should be accounted for,” said Paul.

She also questioned how multiple hotels and guest houses were operating from a single building. “Many rooms were fitted with AC machines? How could CESC Limited permit that? How could the previous Trinamool Congress-run board in KMC grant them the trade license? All these factors will be looked into,” said Paul.

Meanwhile, the owner of the building as well as the owners of the hotels and guest houses run from that building have remained incommunicado since the fire broke out early this morning.

The building caretakers and the staff of the hotels and guest houses there have claimed that the respective owners have either switched off their mobiles or were not answering their calls since this morning.

Initial findings by the police and the West Bengal Fire Services Department have revealed that the nine people, including two women and a child, killed in the fire incident at the hotel this morning died of suffocation rather than burn injuries

Continue Reading

Trending