Connect with us
Sunday,23-August-2026
Breaking News

International News

Trump says US ‘unaware’ of Israeli strike on South Pars, warns Iran on Qatar

Published

on

Washington, March 19: US President Donald Trump said that the United States “knew nothing” about Israel’s strike on Iran’s South Pars gas field and warned Tehran of massive retaliation if it “unwisely” targets Qatar again, after Iran struck a portion of Qatar’s LNG facility following the attack.

Trump on Wednesday night (Local time) said Israel had “violently lashed out” at the South Pars Gas Field, “out of anger for what has taken place in the Middle East,” but stressed that “a relatively small section of the whole has been hit.”

He underlined that Washington had no prior role in the operation. “The United States knew nothing about this particular attack,” Trump said, adding that “the country of Qatar was in no way, shape, or form, involved with it, nor did it have any idea that it was going to happen.”

According to Trump, Iran responded without full knowledge of the circumstances. “Unfortunately, Iran did not know this, or any of the pertinent facts pertaining to the South Pars attack, and unjustifiably and unfairly attacked a portion of Qatar’s LNG Gas facility,” he said.

The US President issued a clear warning aimed at deterring further escalation involving critical energy assets in the Gulf. “No more attacks will be made by Israel pertaining to this extremely important and valuable South Pars Field unless Iran unwisely decides to attack a very innocent, in this case, Qatar,” he said.

Trump added that any future Iranian attack on Qatar would trigger overwhelming US action. “In which instance the United States of America, with or without the help or consent of Israel, will massively blow up the entirety of the South Pars Gas Field at an amount of strength and power that Iran has never seen or witnessed before,” he said.

At the same time, he signalled reluctance to escalate further. “I do not want to authorise this level of violence and destruction because of the long-term implications that it will have on the future of Iran, but if Qatar’s LNG is again attacked, I will not hesitate to do so,” Trump said.

According to The Wall Street Journal, escalating attacks on Persian Gulf oil-and-gas infrastructure are sending the US-Israeli war with Iran into a dangerous new phase that threatens to worsen the crisis over global energy supplies.

“Israel and Iran had already hit energy facilities throughout the nearly three-week-old war, but Wednesday’s attacks struck some of the world’s most important hubs and raised the prospect of tit-for-tat volleys against oil-and-gas facilities,” the financial daily said.

Already, the conflict has effectively closed the Strait of Hormuz, a strategic chokepoint between the Persian Gulf and the wider world that carries about 20 per cent of the global oil and liquefied-natural gas supply during normal times, it said.

The developments have heightened tensions across the Persian Gulf, with energy infrastructure emerging as a key flashpoint. Iran warned countries around the region that a number of energy assets are now “legitimate targets” following the strike on South Pars.

South Pars, located in southwest Iran, is the country’s largest natural gas field and a central pillar of its energy system. It accounts for roughly 75 per cent of Iran’s natural gas production, while natural gas fuels about 85 per cent of the country’s electricity grid.

The field is widely regarded as the world’s largest natural gas reserve and is shared between Iran and Qatar.

disaster

37 injured after 5.9-magnitude earthquake hits Japan’s Ibaraki

Published

on

Tokyo, Aug 23: At least 37 people were injured after a 5.9-magnitude earthquake struck Ibaraki Prefecture, northeast of Tokyo, early on Sunday.

The earthquake also caused burst water pipes and disruptions to transportation in some areas, local media reported.

Japan’s Fuji News Network, citing the Fire and Disaster Management Agency, reported that as of 10 a.m. local time, at least 37 people were injured in Tokyo, Ibaraki Prefecture, Kanagawa Prefecture and other areas, reports Xinhua news agency.

The earthquake temporarily disrupted some train services in the Kanto region, although operations are gradually being restored. Multiple water pipes burst in Tokyo and other areas, causing temporary flooding on some roads.

According to the Japan Meteorological Agency, the temblor occurred at around 2 a.m. local time on Sunday at a depth of about 70 km, measuring a lower 5 on Japan’s seismic intensity scale of 7 in parts of Ibaraki, Saitama and Chiba prefectures as well as Tokyo’s Adachi Ward.

A lower 5 quake is defined by the agency as shaking that causes most people to be frightened and to hold on to something stable, while objects may fall from shelves.

The quake was clearly felt in Tokyo, with some people living in the city posting on social media that it was the strongest shaking they had experienced in recent years. The tremor was also felt across a wide swath of the country, including northeastern and central Japan.

The weather agency urged the public to remain alert for an earthquake registering lower 5 over the next week, especially during the next two to three days.

No abnormalities were detected at the Tokai No. 2 nuclear power plant in Ibaraki Prefecture or the disaster-stricken Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant and the nearby Fukushima Daini plant in northeastern Japan, according to their operators.

Continue Reading

International News

Israel informs US of possible Turkish radar deployment in Syrian airbase

Published

on

Jerusalem, Aug 23: Israel told the United States that Turkey was preparing to deploy a radar system and air-defense assets at a Syrian airbase, Israel’s state-owned Kan TV News reported.

Israeli security officials reportedly told Washington that the alleged Turkish move could “significantly” alter the regional balance of power.

Sources familiar with the discussions told the channel that Israel did not provide a timetable for the possible Turkish deployment. Yet, they identified Abu al-Duhur military airport, which was struck by Israeli air force on Tuesday, in northwest Syria, as a potential site.

The Tuesday strikes further strained relations between Turkey and Israel. US Special Envoy for Syria Tom Barrack said Israel did not inform the United States of the attack in advance.

An Israeli official said the strikes were aimed at preventing the arrival of Turkish equipment or troops by air at the airbase, Xinhua news agency reported.

Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz said the strikes were in response to “clear intelligence” about Turkey’s intentions to act in ways that would “endanger” Israel’s security. He said Syria had received a diplomatic warning before the strike.

Katz had said earlier on Saturday that the army issued a direct warning to senior Syrian officials before the strikes on the Abu al-Duhur air base “in an attempt to prevent the move.”

“Following several discussions that Prime Minister [Benjamin Netanyahu] and I held with the IDF and the various security officials, it was agreed that before approval was given, a direct warning would be issued to the Syrian regime at the highest levels first in an attempt to prevent the move, and that is what was done,” Katz said.

“After the request went unanswered, the prime minister and I authorized the IDF to carry out the strike, which commenced successfully,” he added.

Continue Reading

International News

Egypt, Iran discuss efforts to resume diplomatic track for regional de-escalation

Published

on

Cairo, Aug 23: Egyptian Foreign Minister Badr Abdelatty and his Iranian counterpart Seyed Abbas Araghchi held a phone call to discuss the latest regional developments and ongoing diplomatic efforts to de-escalate tensions.

The two ministers discussed efforts to create conditions for a return to diplomacy, including the implementation of a memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed between the United States and Iran on June 18, according to a statement from the Egyptian Foreign Ministry on Saturday (local time).

Abdelatty stressed the importance of intensifying ongoing diplomatic efforts to ease current escalations and reach peaceful understandings that would help restore security and stability in the region, reports Xinhua news agency.

He also underscored the importance of ensuring the freedom and safety of international navigation and respecting the security and stability of the Gulf states in a way that serves the interests of all peoples in the region.

Araghchi briefed Abdelatty on Iran’s assessment of recent developments, the course of negotiations, and the challenges facing them, according to the statement.

Under the US-Iran MoU, the two sides were scheduled to hold negotiations within a period of 60 days, which ended on Monday, to reach a final agreement. Yet the talks’ fate remains unclear following the renewed escalation over the Strait of Hormuz.

US President Donald Trump said Wednesday that the United States would launch “the most crushing economic operation ever taken” against Iran.

Meanwhile, Iran’s Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf has said that Iran has received “numerous” messages from neighbouring countries about “shaping new security arrangements and economic cooperation” in the region.

In a post on social media platform X on Saturday (local time), Qalibaf said the United States “put the security of every single one of its allies at such risk through bullying and pure disregard for their interests for the sake of Israel.”

“A homegrown, independent (regional) order is what will actually deliver peace and security,” he added.

The United States and Israel launched joint airstrikes on Iran on February 28. Tehran responded by launching missiles and drones toward Israel and US military bases in regional countries, reports Xinhua news agency.

Media reports, citing regional officials, said Gulf Arab countries were frustrated with Washington for initiating the war while failing to shield them.

Continue Reading

Trending