Connect with us
Friday,22-May-2026
Breaking News

Sports

‘No Concerns About KL’: Ryan Ten Doeschate Defends Struggling Team India Batter Ahead Of 2nd Test vs New Zealand

Published

on

India assistant coach Ryan ten Doeschate said on Tuesday that middle-order batters KL Rahul and Sarfaraz Khan are locked in a selection battle for the second Test against New Zealand here even though head coach Gautam Gambhir is keen to give the former, a long rope.

With India looking to bounce back from the eight-wicket thrashing at Bengaluru in the opening Test, focus will be on the team combination with Washington Sundar being added to the squad. Shubman Gill and Rishabh Pant are both aiming to shake off injury concerns for the match starting Thursday.

“Yeah, there’s no point in sugarcoating it, there’s a fight for a spot,” ten Doeschate told the media when asked if Rahul and Sarfaraz were battling for a place in the team, here at the MCA Stadium ahead of India’s training session.

“Sarfaraz was obviously brilliant in the last Test. I went to KL after the last Test (and) said how many balls do you play at (and) miss at? He didn’t play at (and) miss at one ball and that’s what tends to happen when you’re not getting runs.

“There’s certainly no concerns about KL, he’s batting nicely, he’s in a good mental space. But we are certainly going to have to fit seven pieces into six spots for this Test and look at the pitch now and decide what’s going to be best for the team,” he said.

Sarfaraz scored a second-innings 150 in the Bengaluru game, while Rahul remained off-colour in both essays.

While admitting that it is difficult to keep Rahul out of the equation in the Test format, ten Doeschate said head coach Gautam Gambhir is “keen to” give him a long rope.

“It’s not like we’re worried about his form. If you go on just the past three months since Gauti has been in here, he’s keen to give him (Rahul) as much rope as we can. We have a lot of faith in him,” he said.

“But at the same time, it’s a very competitive environment, with Sarfaraz getting 150 plus runs (222 not out) in the Irani Trophy final. The decision will be what’s best for the team, but we’ll certainly back all the guys in,” he added.

“He’ll be good to keep in the Test as well” – Ryan Ten Doeschate on Rishabh Pant

Pant, who did not keep wickets for a significant part of the opening Test, and Shubman Gill, who missed the match due to stiffness in his neck, are close to attaining their full fitness.

“Rishabh is pretty good. I think Rohit (Sharmna) touched on it the other day. He was having a little bit of discomfort at the end range of his movement with the knee. But fingers crossed, he’ll be good to keep in the Test as well,” he said.

“He (Gill) looks so (available for this Test). He has batted last week in Bangalore, he had a few nets, he’s got a little bit of discomfort, but I think he’ll be good to go for the Test,” he added.

Ten Doeschate said the addition of Washington Sundar is “no desperate measure” but to add a bowling option who would take the ball away from the Kiwis left-handers.

“Definitely not. They (New Zealand) are filled with four left-handers in the XI. We’ve had Washy around the white-ball squad for a while and we like the way he operates. It’s also nice to see that guys are getting rewarded for Ranji Trophy performance as well.”

“We just want to make sure we’re absolutely prepared for conditions here and if that does mean taking the ball away from the left-hander, we want that option,” he added.

Sports

Pep Guardiola Sparks Tension With Antonio Rudiger After Manchester City’s Shocking Champions League Defeat Against Real Madrid

Published

on

In the wake of a disappointing exit from the UEFA Champions League, tensions surfaced between Pep Guardiola and Antonio Rudiger following Manchester City’s 1–2 loss to Real Madrid at the Etihad Stadium.

As the final whistle blew and the Spanish manager greeted the victorious Real Madrid players, a brief but heated moment unfolded between Guardiola and Rudiger. What began as a routine handshake quickly shifted in tone, with City defender Rudiger appearing visibly agitated.

Manchester City’s defeat ended their hopes in Europe this season, with Real Madrid advancing 5–1 on aggregate. Guardiola later addressed the loss, acknowledging the Champions League’s difficulty and urging his team to shift focus toward domestic targets, including the League Cup final. He emphasized the disappointment but maintained that the competition’s rigors require resilience and learning from setbacks.

Although football rivalries often carry emotional weight, incidents like the Guardiola–Rudiger moment highlight how passion and frustration can surface in intense matches. Both clubs now prepare for upcoming fixtures, with Manchester City looking to regroup and Real Madrid celebrating a significant European progression.

Vinicius Junior once again found himself at the center of attention, not just for his footballing brilliance but for a bold and emotional celebration that left fans stunned during a high-voltage UEFA Champions League clash against Manchester City.

The Real Madrid forward lit up the night with a crucial goal. However, it was what followed that truly ignited conversations across the football world. As the ball hit the back of the net, Vinicius turned towards the crowd and performed a ‘cry’ gesture, mocking his critics and seemingly responding to the hostile atmosphere inside the stadium.

The reaction inside the ground was immediate. Manchester City supporters were left in disbelief, many visibly stunned by the Brazilian’s audacity. The gesture, interpreted by many as a direct message to opposition fans who had been jeering him throughout the match, added another layer of intensity to an already fiery encounter.

Vinicius has often been a polarizing figure in European football, frequently targeted by opposition fans but equally known for his fearless personality. This celebration appeared to be a culmination of pent-up emotion, a statement that he thrives under pressure and refuses to be intimidated on the biggest stage.

Continue Reading

Sports

FIFA World Cup 2026 uncertainty grows as Iran eyes venue change

Published

on

New Delhi, March 17: Iran’s participation in the FIFA World Cup 2026 is uncertain as the country’s football federation are in talks with FIFA to move its scheduled matches in the United States to Mexico due to rising security concerns.

Iranian football president Mehdi Taj confirmed this development. He stated that safety assurances are a major issue. “When [US President Donald] Trump has said he cannot ensure the security of the Iranian national team, we will certainly not travel to America,” Taj said in a post shared via the Iranian embassy in Mexico’s X account. “We are negotiating with FIFA to hold Iran’s World Cup matches in Mexico.”

These concerns arise from the ongoing conflict following the US-Israel airstrikes on Iran in 2026, which started in late February and has heightened regional tensions. Iran’s sports minister previously indicated the seriousness of the situation, mentioning that the national team might not be able to take part in the tournament as planned.

Earlier, US President Donald Trump stated that Iran would be allowed to participate but recognized the sensitivity of the matter. He said the team is welcome but suggested it might not be suitable for them to play in the United States “for their own life and safety.”

Iran had easily qualified for the expanded 48-team tournament co-hosted by the United States, Mexico, and Canada. They became the first Asian team to secure their spot on March 25, 2025. According to the current schedule, they are set to play two group matches in Los Angeles and one in Seattle.

However, the worsening geopolitical situation raises the possibility of a dramatic withdrawal. This would be unprecedented in the modern era of the World Cup and could require FIFA to make a last-minute replacement decision.

For now, the Asian Football Confederation has said it has not received any official communication about a withdrawal. It added that the Iranian federation has confirmed its intention to participate, although the rapidly changing situation continues to create uncertainty about their final decision.

Continue Reading

Sports

‘Crores Of Indians Await Victory’: Eknath Shinde Wishes Team India Ahead Of T20 Cricket World Cup Final In Ahmedabad Against NZ

Published

on

Mumbai: Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister Eknath Shinde on Sunday extended his best wishes to Team India ahead of the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2026 final, where India will take on New Zealand at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad later in the day.

In a message shared on X (formally Twitter), Shinde expressed confidence in the Indian side and said the team, led by Suryakumar Yadav, will enter the summit clash with determination and the hopes of millions of fans across the country.

Wishing the Men in Blue success in the crucial match, Shinde said crores of supporters across India are eagerly awaiting the final and are ready to celebrate the team’s victory. He added that fans across the nation are hopeful that India will secure the title and create history in the tournament.

India secured their place in the final after defeating England in the semi-final on March 6 at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai. The win helped the Suryakumar Yadav-led side advance to the title clash, setting up a highly anticipated contest against New Zealand.

The final is scheduled to take place on Sunday, March 8, at the Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad, which is expected to witness a massive turnout of cricket fans. The stadium, known as the largest cricket venue in the world, is likely to see strong support for the Indian team as they take the field in pursuit of the championship.

The match also presents India with an opportunity to script history in the T20 World Cup. If the team lifts the trophy on Sunday, it will achieve two rare milestones in the tournament’s history.

India are currently the defending champions of the T20 World Cup, and a victory in the final would make them the first team to successfully retain the title. At the same time, the win would also mark the first instance of a host nation winning the T20 World Cup.

With two historic records at stake, fans across the country will be hoping that the Men in Blue rise to the occasion and deliver a memorable performance in Ahmedabad, turning the night into a celebration for cricket lovers across the nation.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending