National News
Mumbai: Jain Community Moves Bombay HC Against Collector’s Order Upholding Wine Shop’s License Near 1833 Anantnathji Derasar Temple
Mumbai, Nov 19: The long-simmering dispute between the Jain community and a wine shop has escalated to the Bombay High Court. A writ petition has been filed challenging an order issued by the Mumbai city collector, which had previously upheld the operating legality of Masjid Bunder-based Anand Wines, despite allegations that the liquor outlet is situated in violation of mandatory distance norms from the city’s second-oldest Jain temple.
The petition, filed on behalf of the temple trust and the Jain community, centers on the proximity of Anand Wines to Shree Anantnathji Maharaj Derasar, said to be Mumbai’s second oldest Jain temple built in 1833.
Although the dispute has been long standing between the religious institution and the liquor shop, it peaked recently after the Mumbai City collector dismissed the petitioner’s complaint dated March 27, 2024, seeking relocation of the liquor shop.
The complaint read, “The presence of the wine shop in such close proximity to a place of worship is inappropriate and disrespectful. The residents have raised concerns that are impacting the sanctity and tranquility of the area.
Based on this, the state excise department commenced an inquiry and found that the liquor shop was established on August 12, 1999, after being shifted from Bhuleshwar, where it was named as Tipu Wines. It noted that the shop’s license marked it free from restrictions at the time of transfer.
However, the department’s survey revealed that the liquor shop is 88.4 metres away from the temple’s main gate. However, it also recorded that the distance between the temple’s backdoor and the wine shop was only 13 metres, which violated the norms prescribed under Mumbai Foreign Liquor Rules, 1953.
“The licensee does not appear to be free from restrictions as it is within 50 metres of the nearest entrance of a registered religious institution,” read the show cause notice to Anand Wines, seeking reply about why its license should not be cancelled since it is not exempted from the inter-restrictions.
However, the collector dismissed the complaint stating that the distance between the front door and the wine shop is 87.2 metres and therefore it is free from restrictions.
He cited the survey by the state excise department’s deputy superintendent, which said that the back door was found closed on all the three occasions of the official’s visit, hinting that the door is not in use. The order also cited the then collector’s order granting license to Anand Wines, calling it free from restrictions.
The petition challenges the order stating that it considered a report from Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation, dated April 19, 2025, which recorded that there is no reference of backdoor of the said temple but did not consider the temple CEO Rajendra Khona’s statement to the excise department, dated June 3, 2024, which stated that the temple’s backdoor is being used for religious work. It alleged the order to be bad in law, highlighting the contrary findings in BMC report and state excise department’s records.
It has urged the High Court to quash and set aside the district collector’s order dated July 3, 2025, and cancel the liquor license issued to Anand Wines under the provisions of Maharashtra Prohibition Act, 1949. It also prayed the court to suspend operations of the liquor shop’s license until the final disposal of the petition.
Contacted Sushil Khatanhar, the owner of Anand Wines, who said, “We have been running this business for 25 years and there has never been any objection from any local citizen. The temple’s back gate has not opened in the last 30 years and they have recently started opening it to make it an issue against us. This is a tactic used to harass us so that we give up our shop.”
National News
Two killed in reactor blast at Telangana pharma unit

Hyderabad, Aug 22: Two people were killed, and several others were seriously injured after a reactor blast triggered a fire at a pharmaceutical unit in Telangana’s Yadadri Bhuvanagiri district, officials said on Saturday.
According to the police, the incident occurred late on Friday night while workers were changing shifts.
The pharma company is located in the Pochampally mandal area, according to police.
“A tragic industrial accident occurred late on Friday night at Hazelo Lab Private Limited, a pharma unit near Dothigudem in Pochampally mandal. A reactor explosion resulted in the deaths of two employees and left several others injured,” an official told media.
Upon receiving the information, police and the fire department, along with rescue and relief officials, reached the spot, officials said.
They added that the workers were rescued and the injured were admitted to the nearest hospitals for treatment. Two were declared dead by the medical officials.
The blaze triggered by the blast was brought under control by the fire officials.
Police said that a case has been registered and an investigation into the incident is underway.
The cause of the blast is unknown, and officials are investigating to determine what could have led to the tragedy, police said.
Further details are awaited.
In a separate incident, a blast occurred at a factory in Jharkhand’s Ramgarh district, killing three engineers and leaving one injured.
The explosion occurred late on Friday at Maa Chhinnamastika Cement and Ispat Private Limited, a sponge-iron factory located in Hehal, under Patratu block of the Ramgarh district, officials said.
According to officials, the fire broke out during production work at the power plant site of the factory. This caused panic among the workers in the night shift.
Upon receiving the information, police and the fire department arrived at the scene and rescued the workers. However, three engineers and the workers were trapped inside the factory.
The injured have been shifted to the nearest hospital.
The factory management has said that the cause of the blast is likely overheating in the plant.
Crime
Andhra MP’s son tests negative for alcohol after fatal Aston Martin crash

New Delhi, Aug 22: Preliminary tests for alcohol and drugs have returned negative for 21-year-old Lingamaneni Sanjush, the son of Andhra Pradesh Rajya Sabha MP, Lingamaneni Ramesh, following a fatal Aston Martin accident in Hyderabad.
The accident took place near Inorbit Mall on August 16, when Sanjush was allegedly driving the luxury car. The vehicle struck 26-year-old Bharati Mukhi, a sales executive, leaving her critically injured. She was rushed to Apollo Hospital for treatment but was declared dead on arrival, according to police.
Investigators said Sanjush was allegedly driving at a high speed in a rash and negligent manner at the time of the collision. The Aston Martin has been seized and examined by a Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI), while the authorities are awaiting the inspection report.
Police said that despite the negative preliminary screening for alcohol and narcotic substances, Sanjush’s blood samples have been forwarded to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for detailed analysis. The final forensic findings, along with the MVI inspection report and the victim’s post-mortem report, are expected to play an important role in the ongoing investigation.
A case has been registered under Section 106(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) for causing death through a rash or negligent act. The provision carries a maximum punishment of five years in prison.
Police said Sanjush was not arrested immediately because the evidence available at that stage did not justify custodial action. Instead, he was issued a notice under Section 35 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) and directed to cooperate with investigators.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police dismissed allegations that Sanjush received preferential treatment because of political connections or outside pressure. The officer maintained that the action taken by police was in line with legal provisions and Supreme Court guidelines governing arrests.
Police added that Sanjush could be arrested later if additional evidence or the findings of the investigation warrant such action. Investigators are continuing to collect forensic, technical and other evidence to establish the precise circumstances surrounding the crash.
The Aston Martin involved in the accident was reportedly not registered in Sanjush’s name. Meanwhile, Sanjush has maintained that he did not leave the scene after the collision. He claimed that he helped take Bharati to the hospital and subsequently cooperated with the police probe.
Following the post-mortem examination, Bharati’s body was handed over to her brother and later taken to Odisha. Her post-mortem report is still awaited.
Bharati was reportedly the sole earning member of her family. Her death has led to calls for financial assistance for her family as the investigation into the fatal accident continues.
Crime
15 years on the run: Delhi Police arrest 72-year-old proclaimed offender in extortion case

New Delhi, Aug 22: In a major breakthrough against long-evading fugitives, the Special Cell of the Delhi Police on Saturday arrested a proclaimed offender who had been absconding for nearly 15 years in connection with an extortion case, officials said on Saturday.
The accused, identified as 72-year-old Hari Singh Shekhawat, a resident of Rajasthan’s Jaipur, was arrested by a team of the South-Western Range (SWR) of the Special Cell following an extensive inter-state search spanning Delhi, Haryana, Gujarat and Rajasthan.
The case dates back to 2008, when Shekhawat allegedly attempted to extort money from a prominent multinational garment company while he was employed with the firm. Following the incident, a case was registered against him at the Special Cell police station under Sections 384, 389, 506 and 511 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
According to officials, Shekhawat subsequently failed to appear before the court on multiple occasions and continued to evade the legal proceedings. Due to his persistent non-appearance, the court declared him a Proclaimed Offender on April 2, 2016.
In view of the recent efforts to track down absconding criminals and fugitives involved in sensational crimes, a team of the SWR/Special Cell was constituted to pursue such offenders and prevent them from committing further crimes.
The team was led by Inspector Sandeep Yadav and Inspector Neeraj Kumar under the supervision of ACP Puran Chandra Pant. The officers deployed extensive human surveillance and conducted sustained efforts to establish the whereabouts of criminals who had been evading arrest for prolonged periods.
“Consequent to the rigorous groundwork for more than one month, it was established that initially, he had shifted to Gujarat to avoid legal proceedings in this case and later on, shifted to Rajasthan,” officials said.
Investigators found that Shekhawat had initially moved to Gujarat in an attempt to avoid the legal proceedings arising from the extortion case. He subsequently shifted to Rajasthan, where he remained under the radar and continued to evade arrest for several years.
On August 13, the Special Cell team received credible information that the absconder was hiding in Jaipur, Rajasthan, in an attempt to avoid being arrested in the long-pending case.
Following the information, a dedicated raiding team was immediately formed and sent to Jaipur.
The police team carried out an intensive search operation in Jaipur and eventually confirmed that the accused was residing inside a residential society in the city. After verifying his presence and establishing his identity, the team apprehended Shekhawat from the residential premises.
The accused was subsequently arrested in accordance with the provisions of law, officials said, bringing to an end his prolonged period of evasion from the authorities.
Police officials said the arrest was the result of sustained surveillance, intelligence gathering and coordinated efforts across multiple states to locate the accused, who had repeatedly changed his place of residence to remain away from the legal process.
Hari Singh Shekhawat is a graduate of XLRI and has worked with several renowned multinational corporations in senior positions during his professional career.
According to officials, he was working with a prominent garment multinational company when he allegedly attempted to extort money from the firm in 2008.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
