Crime
Mumbai Crime: Vikhroli Man Cheated Of ₹2.2 Crore In Housing Fraud, Accused Used Documents To Take Bank Loan
Mumbai: The Vikhroli police have registered a case of alleged fraud worth Rs2.2 crore against Rajendra Babulal Kumar for allegedly cheating a man under the pretext of purchasing his house and using the property documents to secure a bank loan.
According to the c, the complainant, Mohammed Nasim Rais Hashmi, 49, resides with his family at Ashoka Tower in Firozshah Nagar, Vikhroli East. Hashmi runs a business manufacturing wooden boxes for gold jewellery. Due to financial difficulties, he had put his house up for sale.
In August 2025, Hashmi came in contact with Rajendra Babulal Kumar, 41, who is involved in the auto parts export business and resides at Unwala Building on D.N. Singh Road in Mazgaon. Kumar allegedly expressed interest in buying the house but claimed he did not have the money immediately. He proposed that if the property was transferred to his name, he would secure a loan of Rs2.20 crore against it and pay the full amount to Hashmi as the purchase price.
Trusting Kumar, Hashmi appeared at the registration office in Vikhroli East on September 26, 2025, and executed a sale deed in Kumar’s name after obtaining a power of attorney from his mother, Jamila Begum Shaikh, who was the property owner. Later, a deed of rectification was also registered on November 21 at the same office.
Police said that although Kumar had allegedly paid only Rs13 lakh to Hashmi, the sale deed mentioned that Rs2.2 crore had been received. The amount was shown in the document at Kumar’s request so that he could secure a loan, with the assurance that the loan proceeds would be handed over to Hashmi.
As part of the alleged transaction cycle, Kumar transferred Rs2,16,75,000 to Hashmi’s Axis Bank account via RTGS between September 26 and November 13, 2025, and also gave Rs25,000 in cash. Hashmi then transferred Rs1.07 lakh to the bank account of Kumar’s associate, Shyamrao Shankarrao Shinde, and Rs97,25,000 to the account of another associate, Sachin Shrikant Hejib, between October 17 and November 13.
Investigators said that Shinde, Hejib and another person, Narayan Bindeshwar Jha, allegedly transferred the funds back to Kumar’s bank account, completing what police suspect was a circular transaction designed to show a legitimate payment trail.
Using the sale deed, Kumar later mortgaged the property with Cholamandalam Finance in CBD Belapur, Navi Mumbai, and secured a loan of Rs1.97 crore on November 20, 2025. The loan was allegedly taken in the names of Kumar and his wife, Chetana Devi.
However, Hashmi alleged that Kumar never paid him the agreed sale amount. Instead, after obtaining the loan, Kumar allegedly began threatening and abusing him, demanding that he vacate the house and hand over possession, claiming ownership of the property.
Hashmi has also alleged that Kumar’s associates Shyamrao Shinde, Sachin Hejib, Narayan Jha, and Kumar’s wife Chetana Devi were aware of the alleged fraud and assisted him. He has requested the police to investigate their roles as well.
Based on the complaint, the Vikhroli police have registered a case under relevant sections of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) and have initiated further investigation.
Crime
Man hacked to death by bike-borne men at traffic signal in Bengaluru

Bengaluru, Aug 23: An incident in which a man was hacked to death in full public view at a traffic signal near the Madiwala underpass came to light on Sunday, raising fresh concerns over the safety of residents in Bengaluru.
The victim, identified as Suhail, a resident of Mangammanapalya and a medical shop owner, was attacked by a group of assailants as he was on his way from Madiwala towards Koramangala on Saturday night.
The incident occurred late at night when Suhail had stopped his motorcycle amid a traffic jam on the main road. Four men who arrived on two motorcycles allegedly attacked him with swords before fleeing the spot. Suhail suffered severe blood loss and died at the scene.
Police suspect that the murder could be an act of revenge linked to an earlier murder case in Bandepalya.
On January 13, a man named Shabbir was murdered in Bandepalya, and Suhail’s brothers Kaleem, Nazir and another brother were allegedly involved in that case. Investigators suspect that Suhail may have been targeted in retaliation, despite having no connection with the Shabbir murder case.
Police sources said Suhail had no criminal background and was not an accused in the earlier case. His murder is therefore suspected to have been driven by hostility towards his brothers.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (South East) Mohammad Sujeetha, CCB DCP Haribabu and Joint Commissioner of Police Ramesh Banoth visited the crime scene and inspected the spot.
Following the murder, Suhail’s younger brother Nazir reportedly arrived at the scene and vowed revenge. He said Suhail was not merely his elder brother but was like a father to him, and warned that he would not spare those responsible for his killing.
Police suspect that the assailants had been planning the murder for several days and had been closely monitoring Suhail’s movements. According to preliminary information, the attackers allegedly followed him and executed a pre-planned attack while he was travelling on his motorcycle.
After the murder, the assailants reportedly abandoned the weapons at the scene and escaped.
Three special teams have been formed to track down the suspects. Police have seized the CCTV DVR from the area and are examining footage to identify the attackers and trace their movements before and after the crime.
Investigators are also trying to establish why Suhail, who lived in Mangammanapalya and operated a medical shop in Bommanahalli, travelled towards Madiwala. Police are examining who last contacted him before he left the medical shop and other details surrounding his movements.
The brazen murder in a busy public area has triggered concerns over safety in the city, particularly as the attackers allegedly assaulted the victim in front of members of the public before fleeing the scene. Police are continuing their investigation to establish the exact motive and identify all those involved.
When asked whether any accused have been arrested in connection with the case, DCP South East Mohammad Sujeetha declined to comment. Further investigation is on.
Crime
Shillong violence: Army, RAF conduct flag march as Assam-Meghalaya tensions persist

Shillong, Aug 23: Security was intensified across Shillong as the Army and Rapid Action Force (RAF) conducted a flag march in the Meghalaya capital following violence during a Khasi Students’ Union (KSU) rally on August 19, officials said.
The security buildup came on Saturday amid heightened tensions after vehicles carrying tourists from Assam were allegedly attacked during a KSU black-flag protest.
Several vehicles were vandalised, with their windows and windshields smashed, while some tourists were reportedly injured.
Public property was also damaged during the violence.
The Centre has approved the deployment of five companies of central armed forces in Meghalaya to assist the state police in maintaining law and order amid the prevailing situation.
Meanwhile, Assam Border Protection and Development Minister Atul Bora and Meghalaya Deputy Chief Minister Sniawbhalang Dhar held a high-level meeting with senior officials of both states in Guwahati on Saturday to assess the situation and discuss steps to prevent further escalation.
The meeting came against the backdrop of tensions following the Shillong violence and protests at Jorabat, the key entry point between Assam and Meghalaya.
Bora termed the Shillong incident “unwarranted and unfortunate” and said Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma had acted promptly after the violence.
He said Assam CM Sarma spoke to Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K. Sangma, who subsequently asked Dhar to engage with Assam and explore measures to restore peace and ensure smooth movement between the neighbouring states.
Bora appealed to the people in both states to maintain peace and harmony, stressing the longstanding ties between Assam and Meghalaya.
The Shillong incident triggered protests by motor vehicle workers’ unions in Assam.
Demonstrations at Jorabat began the following day, with protesters stopping Meghalaya-registered vehicles from entering Assam and, in some cases, forcing them to turn back.
The protests continued for a third day on Friday, with demonstrators seeking compensation for vehicles damaged in Shillong and an apology from the authorities.
Heavy deployment of police and reserve personnel was made at Jorabat to prevent any fresh violence.
Three senior KSU office-bearers — president Raymond Kharjana, vice president Pynkmenlang Sanmiet and general secretary Reuben Najiar — were arrested late Wednesday in connection with the violence.
The situation has also prompted sharper reactions in Assam.
The Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuba Chatra Parishad (AJYCP) called for an economic blockade and warned of action against Meghalaya residents in Assam if attacks on Assamese people in Shillong continued.
With additional security forces deployed in Shillong and police maintaining a strong presence at Jorabat, authorities in both states are now working to contain tensions, prevent retaliatory incidents and ensure uninterrupted movement of people and vehicles.
Crime
Delhi Police arrest three in illicit liquor supply case

New Delhi, Aug 22: In a major crackdown on the illegal transportation and supply of liquor, the Anti-Auto Theft Squad (AATS) team of the North-East District of Delhi Police arrested three persons and recovered 778 quarters of Haryana-marked illicit liquor along with two taxis allegedly used to transport the consignment.
The action was carried out on August 21, 2026, after Head Constable Deepak, along with Head Constable Anuj and Constable Mukesh, was conducting area patrolling duty near Maujpur Chowk.
At around 6:30 a.m., the police team received information from a secret informer that two taxis carrying illicit liquor from Haryana would arrive near Seelampur Metro Station. The taxis’ numbers were also shared by the informer.
Acting on the information, the police team reached the location. At around 7:30 a.m., both taxis arrived and were intercepted. Three persons were apprehended, while another individual reportedly managed to flee from the spot.
A search of the vehicles led to the recovery of 399 quarters of illicit liquor from taxi HR55AX3345 and 379 quarters from taxi DL1ZD5015, taking the total recovery to 778 quarters.
The arrested accused have been identified as Vinit Chauhan (35), owner of taxi bearing number — HR55AX3345; Akash Sharma (25), driver of taxi bearing number — DL1ZD5015; and Vishal (23), who was allegedly accompanying the other accused.
During interrogation, the accused reportedly disclosed information about the source of the illicit liquor. Police are verifying the information and conducting further investigation to identify other individuals allegedly involved in the supply chain.
A case has been registered as FIR No. 288/26 under Section 33 of the Delhi Excise Act at Seelampur Police Station. Police said none of the three arrested accused has any previous criminal involvement on record. Further investigation is underway, according to police.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
