Connect with us
Tuesday,18-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

Middle class beware, warns Shiv Sena (UBT) in editorial on Union Budget’s tax exemption

Published

on

Mumbai, Feb 3: Shiv Sena (UBT) in an editorial in its mouthpiece ‘Saamna’ has taken a swipe at Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman about no tax on income up to Rs 12 lakh annually.

The ‘Saamna’ editorial states, “It is a complete lie that the budget is for the middle class.”

It has cautioned the middle class to be careful as it will start feeling the pinch as inflation and unemployment will not reduce despite the budget proposals.

“It is being said that by making income up to Rs 12 lakh tax-free, people will have more money in their hands and their purchasing power will increase, but there is not much truth in it.

“This budget will not reduce inflation and unemployment. So what is the use of this barren budget? This budget is nothing extraordinary. This is a political budget.

“There are Assembly elections in Delhi. Modi-Shah have already distributed freebies for them. Since elections are also on the horizon in Bihar, money and schemes have rained down on Bihar. Therefore, as usual, this budget is election-oriented. It is not for the country,” says the editorial.

“Basically, how many people pay income tax in the country? About three-and-a-half crore people. Out of these, two crore people have an income of less than Rs 7 lakh. That means they have already received exemption. Out of one-and-a-half crore, at most 80-85 lakh will be salaried or employed. Out of these, 50 lakh people have salaries of around Rs 12 lakh. So how many are left? At most 60 lakh. That means the new tax system will benefit only about 50 lakh people, but the drums are being played in such a way that 45 crore people will benefit,” it taunts.

“The Modi government had earlier brought a women-centric budget, but the majority of women in the country are still standing in queues for free ration and if ‘beloved sisters’ are being made happy by offering them Rs 1,000-1,500 per month in states like Goa, Maharashtra, Jharkhand and Madhya Pradesh, what can be termed development of women?

“Modi government had presented a farmer-oriented budget, but farmers have been going on hunger strike and agitation to get the minimum support price for their produce and even today farmers are on hunger strike in Punjab and Haryana.

“Modi government brought an employment-centric budget and PM had promised to provide two crore jobs a year. In reality, there is a job shortage in BJP ruled states.

“Competitive exam papers are being sold in the market. The unemployed have taken to the streets to protest in various states and police are lathi-charging the unemployed,” it said.

“The Centre has now presented a meandering budget that provides relief to the middle class. Therefore, the middle class should be careful. These people are skilled at cutting throats with a knife by putting honey on it,” it reiterates.

“Due to inflation and unemployment, people do not have money to spend. So how will purchasing power increase? It seems that special provisions have been made for Bihar in this budget, but Bihar leaders do not accept this claim.

“Even today, most people from Bihar go to other states for jobs. This is a result of the serious employment problem in Bihar. In terms of development and money, other states are not getting the same treatment that Gujarat is currently getting.

“Speaking about Bihar, since supporting PM Modi, Bihar received a financial package of Rs 60,000 crore in a year, but not even Rs 60 crore of this was spent on development, so what happened to that Rs 60,000 crore? Where did this money go?

“Ever since President Trump came to power again in the US, he has been trying to create an economic crisis in India. The Trump administration is adamant on sending back 1.7 million Indians from the US, which is threatening to create a bubble in the Indian economy,” the editorial stated.

Crime

Rajasthan: Threat to blow up CM office, accused arrested after search

Published

on

Jaipur, Aug 18: Panic gripped Jaipur on Tuesday after a threatening call claimed that a bomb had been planted at the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO). The call was received at the Jaipur Control Room, prompting police and security agencies to launch an extensive search operation.

DCP (South) Rajarshi Raj reached the spot to assess the situation. Teams from the police, dog squad, Anti‑Terrorist Squad (ATS) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) were deployed at the CMO. Officials said the building was thoroughly searched for around four and a half hours, but no suspicious object was found.

Meanwhile, Vidhayakpuri police traced the phone number used to make the threat and arrested the accused, identified as 38‑year‑old Lala Kothyari, a resident of Sawai Madhopur.

According to preliminary information, the accused allegedly made the threatening call while under the influence of intoxicants. Police said he is being interrogated to determine the exact motive and circumstances behind the call.

The search operation inside the CMO began around 10:30 am, following receipt of the threat. Security personnel thoroughly checked different sections of the building as a precautionary measure.

Officials recalled that this was not the first time the Rajasthan Chief Minister’s Office had received a bomb threat. On July 26, 2025, a threat was received to blow up both the CMO and Jaipur International Airport. Security agencies carried out searches at both locations, but no suspicious object was found.

Bomb threats have also repeatedly targeted the Rajasthan High Court. On July 13, 2026, the High Court administration received an email claiming six gelatin bombs had been planted, though the message stated there was no intention to harm the public.

Officials said the Jaipur Bench of the High Court had received 13 threats over eight months, including on October 31, 2025, and subsequently on December 5, 8, 9, 10 and 11. In 2026, similar threats were reported on February 6, 17, 19 and 20, followed by March 17 and April 13.

On June 16, 2025, The Palace School at Jaleb Chowk in Jaipur received a bomb threat by email. The message was noticed the following day as the school was closed when it arrived. The administration informed police, who conducted searches.

Earlier, on August 19, 2024, bomb threats were issued against Delhi Public School and Pink Square Mall in Adarsh Nagar on the same day. Security teams searched both locations for several hours, but no explosive device was found.

On June 19, 2024, Pareek School in Chandpole received an email threatening a blast. Teams from the Bomb Disposal Squad, ATS and Special Operations Group (SOG) reached the location and conducted searches.

On May 13, 2024, the anniversary of the Jaipur serial blasts, threats were issued against 56 schools under the Jaipur Commissionerate. School principals reportedly received emails claiming bombs had been planted inside their buildings.

Officials said repeated threats have prompted security agencies to maintain heightened vigilance around government offices, educational institutions and other sensitive locations across Jaipur.

Continue Reading

National News

Prashant Kishor visits Ashok Dham stampede injured, kin of deceased; demands accountability of officers

Published

on

Patna, Aug 18: Following the tragic stampede in which seven people died and over a dozen were injured at the Ashok Dham temple in Lakhisarai in Bihar on the third Monday of Sawan, Jan Suraaj convener and Bankipur MLA, Prashant Kishor, visited the district on Tuesday to meet the injured and the bereaved families.

Kishor first visited Lakhisarai Sadar Hospital, where he met patients injured in the incident and enquired about their health and the treatment being provided to them.

He spoke with the injured to understand what happened and wished them a speedy recovery.

Kishor subsequently travelled to Pratappur village in Halsi block, where he met the families of three women who had died in the tragedy.

He expressed his condolences and assured the bereaved kin of all possible assistance.

After meeting the victims and their families, Kishor sharply criticised the Bihar government and district administration.

He alleged that despite the seriousness of the incident, no senior official had yet been held accountable.

He claimed that the administration appeared focussed on resolving the matter through compensation rather than determining responsibility.

Kishor questioned the practice of providing compensation of Rs 4 lakh, arguing that financial assistance alone cannot substitute for accountability when precious lives have been lost.

Kishor also questioned the status and scope of the investigation ordered after the incident.

He pointed out that the Commissioner and DIG had visited Lakhisarai and directed an enquiry, but said there was insufficient clarity about which officer was conducting the investigation and what specific aspects were being examined.

He demanded that the enquiry should establish who was responsible for the incident, and whether there were administrative or security lapses, which officials were responsible for any negligence, and what action should be taken against those found accountable.

Kishor also said that visits by elected representatives and ministers to the affected families were not enough, insisting that concrete administrative action must follow.

Several Jan Suraaj leaders and party workers accompanied Kishor during his visit, including Ravishankar Prasad Singh and Zila Parishad member Amit Sagar, along with local residents.

Kishor’s visit has added a political dimension to demands for an impartial investigation and accountability following the Ashok Dham temple tragedy in which seven people died and over a dozen were injured.

Continue Reading

Crime

Property dealer shot dead during late-night liquor party in Patna; probe underway

Published

on

Patna, Aug 18: A property dealer was shot dead following an altercation among acquaintances during a late-night liquor party in Karaudichak village, under the Phulwari Sharif police station area of Patna.

The deceased has been identified as Golu Yadav. According to preliminary information, one of the youths present at the gathering allegedly opened fire, shooting Golu four times. He lost his life at the scene.

According to an official, four to five youths had gathered in an open area near a religious site in Karaudichak for a late-night liquor party.

During the gathering, an argument reportedly broke out between Golu and one of his companions over an unspecified issue.

The dispute escalated, following which one of the youths allegedly pulled out a pistol and fired four consecutive shots at Golu.

The shooting triggered panic at the spot. The accused youths reportedly fled immediately after the incident.

After receiving information, Phulwari Sharif police reached the scene and began investigating the circumstances surrounding the killing.

Police took custody of Golu’s body and sent it for post-mortem examination.

Officers are questioning local residents and conducting searches at suspected locations to trace the accused and recover the weapon allegedly used in the crime.

Investigators are also working to identify all those who were present at the gathering and establish what led to the fatal confrontation.

Golu Yadav was reportedly involved in property dealing and land transactions.

Police are examining several possible angles, but the precise motive for the killing has not yet been established.

His family said Golu had left home in the evening. When he failed to return late at night, relatives began searching for him, only to subsequently learn that he had been killed.

The incident has left Golu’s family devastated, while the shooting has created an atmosphere of fear and tension in Karaudichak village.

An FIR has been registered under relevant sections of Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) in Phulwarisharif police station, and further investigation is on.

Continue Reading

Trending