National News
Giant crater appears on new Dehradun bridge, Cong says ‘Rs 16 crore crumbled in 16 days’
New Delhi, July 28: A newly inaugurated Rs 16 crore bridge at Nanda Ki Chowki over the Tons River in Dehradun sustained damage following overnight heavy rainfall, triggering questions over the quality of construction of the crucial link connecting Dehradun with Vikasnagar and neighbouring Himachal Pradesh.
The bridge, which was inaugurated only a few days ago, developed a massive crater near its approach road after incessant rainfall, disrupting vehicular movement along the route.
The incident has prompted residents to question whether the newly constructed infrastructure was adequately designed to withstand Uttarakhand’s annual monsoon, which is known for intense rainfall and flooding.
Amid concerns over the damage, Dehradun District Magistrate Ashish Chauhan clarified that the bridge structure itself had not suffered any damage and said restoration work on the affected approach road had already begun.
Speaking to media, Chauhan said, “In this regard, our 24×7 control room had already been activated, and reinforcement teams were deployed immediately. The bridge itself is intact. The damage has occurred to the approach road leading to the bridge, and restoration work is already underway. All the Chief Engineers and other officials are also on the scene and reviewing the restoration process.”
Meanwhile, the Congress staged a protest over the damage to the bridge. Party leader Sangram Singh Pundir questioned “serious lapses” in the execution of the project and demanded accountability from the government.
Speaking to media, Pundir questioned how a newly inaugurated bridge could suffer such damage within days of its completion.
“This bridge had just been constructed, yet it collapsed within a mere sixteen days — a massive failure. While the District Magistrate dismisses it as just a small section giving way, the reality is that all traffic movement here has come to a complete halt. In the past, whenever such incidents occurred, the concerned minister would immediately take moral responsibility and resign; today, we see nothing of the sort,” he said.
The Congress leader further demanded an investigation into the construction of the project, alleging that the incident had raised serious concerns about the quality of work carried out.
“The very infrastructure that was meant to serve the public has been reduced to rubble. We raise this issue vehemently and demand a CBI inquiry into how a newly built bridge collapsed so quickly. It is deeply concerning that a bridge costing Rs 16 crore crumbled in just 16 days; this casts serious doubt on the government and the executing agencies,” he said.
Pundir also accused local legislators of failing to take appropriate action and launched a sharp attack on Uttarakhand Public Works Department (PWD) Minister Satpal Maharaj, demanding answers regarding the execution of the project and the contractor responsible for the construction.
“This bridge falls within our constituency; five bridges have been built over the Tons River, yet they have remained dilapidated for nearly 20 years. What kind of flaws exist here? A bridge collapsing within 15 or 16 days warrants strict action against the contractor. We will launch a protest against the contractor,” he added.
National News
Two killed, 3,200 houses damaged in floods at Sabang in West Midnapore: Bengal CM

Two persons have been killed and 3,200 houses have been damaged so far in the devastating flood at Sabang in West Midnapore district of West Bengal, Chief Minister Suvendu Adhikari told on Thursday.The Chief Minister made an aural review of the flood situation at Sabang in the afternoon and thereafter had an administrative review meeting at the local block development office with the district officials and all the MLAs and Ministers from the district.
Thereafter, CM Adhikari spoke to the media persons and told about the number of human death and houses damaged so far.”Two persons have died so far and 3,200 houses have been damaged. Each affected family whose house had been damaged will be provided with a compensation of Rs 30,000 by the state government,” the Chief Minister said.According to CM Adhikari, besides the compensation for those houses damaged in the flood, the state government will also stand by the farmers whose crops were damaged because of the flood.
“The farmers who are covered under the Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana will get the opportunity to get compensation. However, the state government will have to work out a strategy for providing compensation for the affected mat-stick makers by any insurance scheme,” the Chief Minister added.He also claimed that during his interaction with the local flood-affected people, many told him that any Chief Minister had physically visited the flood affected areas for the first time after 1986.
“The previous (Trinamool Congress-led state) government did not consider the people of this area as human beings. I have a human connection with them. That is why I came here. My life begins with rural Bengal and will also end with rural Bengal,” the Chief Minister said.He also added that the state administration is also keeping a close watch on the situation in Arambagh in Hooghly district.”Although, there is not any flood-like situation in Arambagh as yet, things might worsen if Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) releases fresh water from their dams. I have asked the Hooghly district administration to remain alert,” the Chief Minister said.
National News
Tejashwi attacks JD-U leader Sanjay Jha, alleges leaders like him entrapped Nitish Kumar for Rajya Sabha

Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) National Working President and Bihar Leader of Opposition (LoP) Tejashwi Yadav launched a sharp attack on the Janata Dal-United (JD-U) National Working President and MP Sanjay Jha on Thursday, while leaving Patna for Madhubani.
Responding to Sanjay Jha’s criticism of the Wednesday’s Lok Bhavan march led by the Bihar LoP, Tejashwi said that Jha should first save his own position, alleging that there was considerable opposition to him within the JD-U.
He also accused Sanjay Jha of having entrapped Nitish Kumar and alleged that Jha and others were close to Home Minister Amit Shah.
Tejashwi also targeted the Bihar government over the death of 19-year-old Roshan Yadav in jail in Madhubani.
He claimed that the youth had been forcibly taken away by police and that serious questions had arisen regarding the circumstances of his death.
Tejashwi said he had spoken to Roshan’s family and was travelling to Madhubani to meet them personally.
He said he would also speak with the concerned officials and seek justice for the family.
The RJD leader made allegations regarding the treatment of Roshan, claiming that the youth had been assaulted and subjected to electric shocks while allegedly being kept in police custody.
These allegations are claims made by Tejashwi Yadav and would require investigation and independent verification.
The LoP alleged that Bihar was being transformed into a “police state” under Chief Minister Samrat Choudhary and said that the RJD would not allow such a situation to develop.
He also referred to a murder in Hajipur, saying he planned to meet the victim’s family as part of his visit to several locations in the state.
He accused the state government of failing on the law-and-order front and alleged that criminal activity was increasing across Bihar.
Asked about the ongoing student protest at Patna’s Gardanibagh, Tejashwi reiterated his support for the demonstrators, particularly those on hunger strike.
He urged the Bihar government to seriously consider their demands and warned that continued inaction could intensify the students’ agitation.
His remarks came a day after the RJD’s Lok Bhavan march in Patna, during which Tejashwi was detained by police before later being released.
The RJD-led march had focused on student issues, unemployment, examination irregularities and the controversy surrounding alleged AK-47 firing during a student protest in Siwan.
National News
‘Matter between two nations’: J&K CM Omar Abdullah on US-Pakistan row over Sergio Gor’s remarks

Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah, commenting on Pakistan summoning the US envoy over US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor’s statement, said on Thursday that the ambassador had made his remarks and the matter was now between the two countries.
Omar Abdullah was reacting to reports that Pakistan had summoned the US envoy over Gor’s statement on Wednesday that Kashmir is an important part of India.
When asked about Pakistan summoning the US envoy over US Ambassador to India Sergio Gor’s remark that Jammu and Kashmir is an important part of India, Omar Abdullah said the matter was between Pakistan and the US.
“Whatever the US ambassador said, he said. Now it is between the two countries,” the CM said.
Hours after Gor’s remarks, Pakistan’s Foreign Office had summoned the US envoy in Islamabad and lodged protest over the remarks.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting Omar Abdullah on Wednesday, Gor said that the US would reconsider its travel advisories on Kashmir, noting that Kashmir is an important part of India.
This was Sergio Gor’s maiden visit to J&K after he took over his assignment as the US ambassador to India.
Earlier, Omar Abdullah had said he would discuss issues with the visiting US ambassador, but would not complain about anything since it was the central government that could address issues in J&K and not the US.
Gor graduated from George Washington University, where he was involved in conservative causes, participating in College Republicans and founding the university’s chapter of Young America’s Foundation.
He was an activist for Arizona senator John McCain’s 2008 presidential campaign and worked for the Republican National Committee, later serving as the spokesman for representatives Steve King, Michele Bachmann, and Randy Forbes.
In May 2013, Gor began working for Kentucky senator Rand Paul’s political action committee, RANDPAC, eventually serving as Paul’s spokesman, communications director, and deputy chief of staff.
-
Crime4 years agoClass 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra2 years agoFalse photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News2 years agoMinistry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Maharashtra2 years agoMaharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News2 years agoJ&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface
-
Crime2 years agoBaba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
