Connect with us
Tuesday,18-August-2026
Breaking News

Crime

Doctors hint fresh stir after Calcutta HC’s ‘rape or gang-rape’ query in RG Kar case

Published

on

Kolkata, March 25: The observation by a single judge bench of Calcutta High Court, asking the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) to clarify whether the ghastly R.G. Kar rape and murder case in August last year was a case of “rape or gang-rape” has encouraged different organisations spearheading the movement to start a fresh stir.

After this, the leading protest groups have made it clear that CBI would be the target of their future protests in the matter now. According to an office-bearer of one such group, Medical Service Centre, the CBI has yet to file a supplementary charge sheet highlighting the aspects of the larger conspiracy behind the tragedy.

“We had been saying for a long time that the CBI had been trying to wash their hands off just by ensuring the conviction and sentencing of civic volunteer Sanjay Roy. The Calcutta High Court too seems to have realized it as evident from its observation on Monday. “Now it is time again to start a fresh movement on this issue and if necessary the series of protests like ‘reclaiming the night’ as was done last year. We demand that CBI reaches a quick and logical conclusion revealing the larger conspiracy behind the tragedy,” he added.

At the same time, said a representative of the West Bengal Junior Doctors’ Front, another association, which led the protests last year, the future movements will also focus on the role of the state government in trying to stall a fresh probe into the case by raising legal points.

“On one hand, the CBI had failed miserably in discharging their duty in revealing the larger conspiracy behind the tragedy. And now the state government seems to be determined to create hurdles for further investigation into the matter. Our next course of movement, which will be announced shortly, will be against both CBI and the state government,” claimed an activist.

On Monday, the state government counsel and Trinamool Congress MP Kalyan Banerjee submitted that the state government was not opposed to further investigation into the matter. However, he questioned whether this could be done after the trial process had been completed at a special court.

Even the victim’s parents also strongly objected to the line of the state government counsel in the matter.

“On one hand, the state government is claiming that it did not have any objection to further investigation. On the other hand, it is raising questions on the legal aspects of whether further investigation could be carried out or not. The state government is not making it clear what it wants. This particular approach on the part of the state government had been evident since the body of our daughter was recovered from within the hospital premises in the morning of August 9 last year,” the victim’s father said after the hearing on Monday.

Crime

SC seeks replies from Centre, intermediaries on plea against police sharing photos of accused on social media

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 18: The Supreme Court on Tuesday asked the Centre, sates and intermediaries to respond to a plea aimed at preventing police officials from uploading photos and videos of an accused on social media to safeguard the latter’s fundamental right to fair trial.

Taking note of the petitioner’ view that revealing identities of accused could prejudice their right to fair trial, a bench comprising Chief Justice Surya Kant and Justice Joymala Bagchi and Justice V Mohana took note of a suggestion for having in place guidelines for use of social media by police organisations.

At the same time, CJI Surya Kant wondered how preventing police from sharing photos online could prevent the circulation of the content in the digital ecosystem.

“his is not a border that you can just close down,” CJI Kant said, agreeing with the need to prevent the uploading of content that reveals faces or identities of accused.

During the hearing, petitioner Hemendra Patel was represented by Senior Advocate Gopal Sankaranarayanan who shared images and videos depicting accused in handcuffs or being made to kneel.

Stressing on the need for uniform guidelines at the national level, Sankaranarayanan said that there is a crying need for an operational mechanism to prevent police-generated content violating the rights of an accused, who is still to be proved guilty.

He added that similar issues have been examined in some High Courts earlier but there is scope for a uniform national framework to prevent police organisations from circulating photos and videos of the accused.

The petition, which made the Union Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology and social media platforms respondents in the matter, also sought a formal, transparent and structured mechanism for prompt removal of such content in case of an objection.

A reference was also made to a matter in Rajasthan High Court in January wherein the judges ordered a takedown of social media content related to an accused under arrest.

Following this case, the state police issued a standard operating procedure (SOP) curbing the practice of uploading or sharing of photos and videos of arrested persons on social media or with mediapersons.

Continue Reading

Crime

Two held with stolen foreign liquor worth Rs 27,000 in Pune

Published

on

Pune, Aug 18: Two men were apprehended after police found stolen liquor from a shop in Pune’s Kalyani Nagar on Tuesday, officials said.

Six bottles of foreign liquor, valued at Rs 27,200, were recovered from the accused.

According to the officials, the youths were apprehended by a team from Yerwada police station near the GST office in Kalyani Nagar.

The investigators said that the accused have been identified as Rohan Ram Kamble (28) and Amit Mahadev Sitapure (27).

They also added that a case has been registered against both the accused under Sections 303(2) and 3(5) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita.

While patrolling the area on Tuesday, police personnel Sandeep Jaybhay received information that two suspicious-looking youths were standing near the GST office and might be in possession of stolen goods, the officials said.

Acting on this information, the police team arrived at the spot and intercepted the two youths. They failed to provide satisfactory answers during questioning. Upon searching the bag they were carrying, the police found six bottles of foreign liquor, the officials added.

The police took both individuals to the Yerwada police station for questioning, during which, according to the officials, the accused admitted that the liquor bottles had been stolen from the ‘Tonic Outlet’ shop in Kalyani Nagar.

According to the police, the recovered liquor is linked to a theft case registered at the Yerwada police station.

The officials said that Sub-Inspector Kishor Berad is conducting investigations into the matter to ascertain the nexus and see if the accused duo has been involved in similar incidents in the past.

Necessary legal proceedings have been initiated in connection with the case, the investigators said.

Continue Reading

Crime

Rajasthan: Threat to blow up CM office, accused arrested after search

Published

on

Jaipur, Aug 18: Panic gripped Jaipur on Tuesday after a threatening call claimed that a bomb had been planted at the Chief Minister’s Office (CMO). The call was received at the Jaipur Control Room, prompting police and security agencies to launch an extensive search operation.

DCP (South) Rajarshi Raj reached the spot to assess the situation. Teams from the police, dog squad, Anti‑Terrorist Squad (ATS) and State Disaster Response Force (SDRF) were deployed at the CMO. Officials said the building was thoroughly searched for around four and a half hours, but no suspicious object was found.

Meanwhile, Vidhayakpuri police traced the phone number used to make the threat and arrested the accused, identified as 38‑year‑old Lala Kothyari, a resident of Sawai Madhopur.

According to preliminary information, the accused allegedly made the threatening call while under the influence of intoxicants. Police said he is being interrogated to determine the exact motive and circumstances behind the call.

The search operation inside the CMO began around 10:30 am, following receipt of the threat. Security personnel thoroughly checked different sections of the building as a precautionary measure.

Officials recalled that this was not the first time the Rajasthan Chief Minister’s Office had received a bomb threat. On July 26, 2025, a threat was received to blow up both the CMO and Jaipur International Airport. Security agencies carried out searches at both locations, but no suspicious object was found.

Bomb threats have also repeatedly targeted the Rajasthan High Court. On July 13, 2026, the High Court administration received an email claiming six gelatin bombs had been planted, though the message stated there was no intention to harm the public.

Officials said the Jaipur Bench of the High Court had received 13 threats over eight months, including on October 31, 2025, and subsequently on December 5, 8, 9, 10 and 11. In 2026, similar threats were reported on February 6, 17, 19 and 20, followed by March 17 and April 13.

On June 16, 2025, The Palace School at Jaleb Chowk in Jaipur received a bomb threat by email. The message was noticed the following day as the school was closed when it arrived. The administration informed police, who conducted searches.

Earlier, on August 19, 2024, bomb threats were issued against Delhi Public School and Pink Square Mall in Adarsh Nagar on the same day. Security teams searched both locations for several hours, but no explosive device was found.

On June 19, 2024, Pareek School in Chandpole received an email threatening a blast. Teams from the Bomb Disposal Squad, ATS and Special Operations Group (SOG) reached the location and conducted searches.

On May 13, 2024, the anniversary of the Jaipur serial blasts, threats were issued against 56 schools under the Jaipur Commissionerate. School principals reportedly received emails claiming bombs had been planted inside their buildings.

Officials said repeated threats have prompted security agencies to maintain heightened vigilance around government offices, educational institutions and other sensitive locations across Jaipur.

Continue Reading

Trending