Connect with us
Saturday,22-August-2026
Breaking News

Crime

Delhi LG tells police chief to take strict action in Ashok Vihar acid attack

Published

on

New Delhi, Oct 27: Taking a serious note of an acid-attack on a 20-year-old woman in northwest Delhi, Lieutenant Governor V.K. Saxena on Monday directed Police Commissioner Satish Golcha to take strict action against the culprits.

“He has instructed the Commissioner of Police to ensure that the guilty are arrested and brought to the book at the earliest and the most stringent punishment under law is sought against them,” said a Raj Niwas official.

The official, in a post on X, said, “The LG has taken an extremely serious view of the recent unfortunate incident of acid attack in the Capital.”

The Sunday incident that caught the attention of the LG involved a 20-year-old woman who sustained burn injuries on her hands after being allegedly attacked with acid by her stalker and his two associates.

The incident took place near Laxmi Bai College in northwest Delhi’s Ashok Vihar area, according to police officials, who maintained that they have launched a manhunt for the accused after collecting clues from CCTV footage.

The victim, a second-year student at a private institution, was on her way to attend an extra class when the accused intercepted her near the college.

“She was stopped by the main accused, Jitender, and his two associates, Ishan and Arman, who were on a motorcycle,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Northwest) Bhisham Singh said in a statement.

According to the woman’s statement, Ishan handed a bottle to Arman, who threw the acid at her.

She instinctively raised her hands to shield her face, suffering burns on both hands while the attackers fled the scene immediately after the assault.

The injured woman was rushed to Deep Chand Bandhu Hospital, where doctors provided initial treatment and informed the police.

A team of forensic and crime experts later visited the site to collect samples and evidence. Preliminary investigation suggests that the main accused, Jitender — a resident of Mukundpur, the same locality where the victim lives — had been stalking her for several months.

According to reports, the two had a heated argument about a month ago, following which the harassment reportedly escalated.

A case has been registered under the relevant provisions of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS), including those about acid attack and criminal conspiracy.

The incident has once again raised concerns over women’s safety and the easy availability of corrosive substances in the national capital.

The Delhi University Students’ Union (DUSU) held protests outside the college, demanding the strictest punishment for the accused and concrete reforms to curb acid sales

Crime

Delhi Police arrest three in illicit liquor supply case

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 22: In a major crackdown on the illegal transportation and supply of liquor, the Anti-Auto Theft Squad (AATS) team of the North-East District of Delhi Police arrested three persons and recovered 778 quarters of Haryana-marked illicit liquor along with two taxis allegedly used to transport the consignment.

The action was carried out on August 21, 2026, after Head Constable Deepak, along with Head Constable Anuj and Constable Mukesh, was conducting area patrolling duty near Maujpur Chowk.

At around 6:30 a.m., the police team received information from a secret informer that two taxis carrying illicit liquor from Haryana would arrive near Seelampur Metro Station. The taxis’ numbers were also shared by the informer.

Acting on the information, the police team reached the location. At around 7:30 a.m., both taxis arrived and were intercepted. Three persons were apprehended, while another individual reportedly managed to flee from the spot.

A search of the vehicles led to the recovery of 399 quarters of illicit liquor from taxi HR55AX3345 and 379 quarters from taxi DL1ZD5015, taking the total recovery to 778 quarters.

The arrested accused have been identified as Vinit Chauhan (35), owner of taxi bearing number — HR55AX3345; Akash Sharma (25), driver of taxi bearing number — DL1ZD5015; and Vishal (23), who was allegedly accompanying the other accused.

During interrogation, the accused reportedly disclosed information about the source of the illicit liquor. Police are verifying the information and conducting further investigation to identify other individuals allegedly involved in the supply chain.

A case has been registered as FIR No. 288/26 under Section 33 of the Delhi Excise Act at Seelampur Police Station. Police said none of the three arrested accused has any previous criminal involvement on record. Further investigation is underway, according to police.

Continue Reading

Crime

‘Give her to us’: Adobe techie Vinay Gupta’s mother, sister allege pre-planned murder by in-laws in Delhi

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 22: The mother and sister of 31-year-old software engineer Vinay Gupta, who was allegedly beaten to death by his in-laws in outer Delhi Nihal Vihar area, on Saturday alleged that the killing was pre-planned and demanded strict punishment for those responsible.

Speaking to reporters, Gupta’s mother alleged that her daughter-in-law had orchestrated the murder and deliberately called her relatives to their home.

“Give her to us, and we will punish her with our own hands. She orchestrated his murder and left,” she said.

According to her, the incident occurred early in the morning when her daughter-in-law allegedly called her brothers to the house. “We were preparing to serve them water, thinking that relatives had come to visit. But they did not want water. They grabbed him by his hands, choked his throat, jumped on his chest and killed him right before my eyes within five minutes,” she alleged.

She further claimed that when she tried to save her son, she too was assaulted. “When I rushed to save him, they beat me. When his father tried to rescue him, they assaulted him as well. Everything went dark before my eyes. There was no one else in the house. She had the CCTV cameras switched off,” the grieving mother stated.

Calling the incident pre-planned, she said there had been no major dispute before the attack. She claimed that six people were involved, of whom four had reportedly been detained while two are absconding.

Gupta’s sister, who was at her in-laws’ home at the time of the incident, also alleged that the killing had been planned in advance.

“My parents and my brother were alone at home. In the morning, she had an argument over something and stormed out of the house. Within just 10 minutes, she returned with six men from her family. She led them upstairs,” she said.

“My mother was preparing to serve them water, thinking that guests had arrived. But they refused the water, grabbed my brother by his hair, choked his throat and killed him. Before leaving the house, she had intentionally switched off the CCTV cameras,” she alleged.

She questioned how the relatives could have reached the house within 10 minutes when their residence was allegedly around 30 minutes away.

“It was completely pre-planned. Everything was orchestrated in advance,” she said, adding that her elderly parents were unable to save her brother.

The sister also alleged that Gupta’s wife frequently fought over minor issues and threatened the family. “There were six people who killed my brother,” she alleged.

The deceased was a resident of Laxmi Park and worked as a software engineer with Adobe in Noida. He had married his 31-year-old wife, a homemaker, around three-and-a-half years ago. The couple have twin children — a son and a daughter — who are about four-and-a-half months old.

According to the victim’s family, an argument broke out between Gupta and his wife in the morning over a matrimonial issue. Following the dispute, the woman allegedly contacted members of her parental family, who later arrived at the couple’s residence in Nihal Vihar.

The family alleged that Gupta was subsequently attacked and severely beaten by his wife’s relatives. Gupta was later rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. However, doctors declared him dead on arrival.

Continue Reading

Crime

Andhra MP’s son tests negative for alcohol after fatal Aston Martin crash

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 22: Preliminary tests for alcohol and drugs have returned negative for 21-year-old Lingamaneni Sanjush, the son of Andhra Pradesh Rajya Sabha MP, Lingamaneni Ramesh, following a fatal Aston Martin accident in Hyderabad.

The accident took place near Inorbit Mall on August 16, when Sanjush was allegedly driving the luxury car. The vehicle struck 26-year-old Bharati Mukhi, a sales executive, leaving her critically injured. She was rushed to Apollo Hospital for treatment but was declared dead on arrival, according to police.

Investigators said Sanjush was allegedly driving at a high speed in a rash and negligent manner at the time of the collision. The Aston Martin has been seized and examined by a Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI), while the authorities are awaiting the inspection report.

Police said that despite the negative preliminary screening for alcohol and narcotic substances, Sanjush’s blood samples have been forwarded to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for detailed analysis. The final forensic findings, along with the MVI inspection report and the victim’s post-mortem report, are expected to play an important role in the ongoing investigation.

A case has been registered under Section 106(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) for causing death through a rash or negligent act. The provision carries a maximum punishment of five years in prison.

Police said Sanjush was not arrested immediately because the evidence available at that stage did not justify custodial action. Instead, he was issued a notice under Section 35 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) and directed to cooperate with investigators.

The Deputy Commissioner of Police dismissed allegations that Sanjush received preferential treatment because of political connections or outside pressure. The officer maintained that the action taken by police was in line with legal provisions and Supreme Court guidelines governing arrests.

Police added that Sanjush could be arrested later if additional evidence or the findings of the investigation warrant such action. Investigators are continuing to collect forensic, technical and other evidence to establish the precise circumstances surrounding the crash.

The Aston Martin involved in the accident was reportedly not registered in Sanjush’s name. Meanwhile, Sanjush has maintained that he did not leave the scene after the collision. He claimed that he helped take Bharati to the hospital and subsequently cooperated with the police probe.

Following the post-mortem examination, Bharati’s body was handed over to her brother and later taken to Odisha. Her post-mortem report is still awaited.

Bharati was reportedly the sole earning member of her family. Her death has led to calls for financial assistance for her family as the investigation into the fatal accident continues.

Continue Reading

Trending