Sports
Champions Trophy: I have never said I don’t want to play ODIs, says Root

New Delhi, Feb 21: Ahead of England starting their 2025 Champions Trophy campaign against Australia, premier batter Joe Root said batting in ODIs is a different thing, as he can’t think of any two innings in his career that have been exactly the same.
England come into the eight-team competition on the back of losing four consecutive ODI series, latest of which was a 3-0 defeat in India. “I can’t think of any two innings that I have played that have been exactly the same.”
“I think the art of batting is assessing the conditions in front of you, managing the situation that you’re presented with and consistently making good decisions under pressure,” Root was quoted as saying by BBC Sport on Friday.
With England’s ODI fortunes on a slide after making a league stage exit from 2023 ODI World Cup, Root stated that he’s still hungry to have more 50-over success internationally. “I never retired. I have never said I don’t want to play the format. I don’t think there needs to be either really. I don’t think any player has a divine right for selection.”
“Obviously you’ve got perform, you’ve got to consistently go and do your job and offer something to the team and make sure you’re making it a better team, not holding it back. I’ve never been one to look too far ahead and try and say ‘I want to play until here or to then’. You’ve got to earn the right and you’ve got to keep putting into the pot,” he added.
Root signed off by calling for England’s players to be given more regular opportunities of playing the 50-over format and making a turnaround of fortunes in it. “It’s just going to take something different. There isn’t that opportunity to do that (play as regularly) nowadays but it doesn’t mean we can’t be as successful as that team.”
“There’s just different challenges that we’re going to have to overcome. Can we find a way to speed that process up by having good, smart conversations and using our experience and share them so that when you get to the crunch moments within big games, you get the team across the line? I think we’ve got the right players that are able to do that and we’ve certainly got the talent.”
Entertainment
Art remains immortal: Assam CM condoles death of legendary actor Manoj Kumar

Guwahati, April 4: Assam Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma on Friday condoled the death of ace Bollywood actor Manoj Kumar and asserted that art remains immortal.
Taking to X, Sarma mentioned, “Even today, Manoj Kumar ji’s films inspire countrymen and fill them with energy to dream new dreams. Many of my childhood memories are associated with the songs of his films.”
“Whether an artist lives or not, his art remains immortal. Om Shanti,” he further mentioned in the X post.
Veteran actor and film-maker Manoj Kumar breathed his last on Friday at the Kokilaben Dhirubhai Ambani Hospital. He was 87.
Reportedly, the medical reports reveal that Manoj Kumar’s death was caused by cardiogenic shock resulting from an acute myocardial infarction, a severe heart attack.
The reports also indicated that he had been struggling with decompensated liver cirrhosis in recent months, which had worsened his health.
The legendary actor was admitted to the hospital on February 21 when his health deteriorated.
Dr Santosh Shetty, CEO and Executive Director at Kokilaben Ambani Hospital, said in an official statement, “Veteran actor Shri Manoj Kumar ji passed away peacefully at the Kokilaben Ambani Hospital early this morning at around 3:30 am, due to age-related health issues. He had been hospitalised for the past few weeks.”
Following the news of his passing, tributes quickly flooded in from celebrities, politicians, and fans alike.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi also expressed his sorrow, mourning the loss of the legendary actor-director.
Taking to his X handle, he tweeted, “Deeply saddened by the passing of legendary actor and film-maker Manoj Kumar ji. He was an icon of Indian cinema, who was particularly remembered for his patriotic zeal, which was also reflected in his films. Manoj ji’s works ignited a spirit of national pride and will continue to inspire generations. My thoughts are with his family and admirers in this hour of grief. Om Shanti.”
Sports
IPL 2025: ‘Aggression isn’t about hitting sixes but showing correct intent’, Venkatesh on KKR’s win over SRH

Kolkata, April 4: Kolkata Knight Riders vice-captain Venkatesh Iyer provided valuable insights into his team’s comprehensive 80-run victory over Sunrisers Hyderabad in the IPL 2025 on Thursday and explained that aggression isn’t about hitting every ball for a maximum; it’s about showing correct intent.
Iyer, who smashed a brilliant 60 off just 29 balls with 7 fours and 3 sixes, played a crucial role in taking KKR to a formidable total of 200 after a cautious start at the Eden Gardens in a replay of the last edition’s final.
“A basic but very important meaning of aggression is to show positive but correct intent when we play cricket,” Iyer explained when asked about KKR’s batting approach.
“If we are 50 for six and I still go and tonk everything, that’s positive but not correct. If we are to call ourselves smart cricketers, it’s very important to read any situation and then react accordingly.”
The left-hander clarified that KKR’s definition of aggression isn’t about mindlessly hitting every ball for boundaries. “Aggression does not mean hitting every ball for a maximum. It’s about how you understand the conditions and can maximise the conditions in your favour,” he elaborated.
Iyer credited his teammates — especially skipper Ajinkya Rahane and young batter Angkrish Raghuvanshi — for providing valuable inputs during the strategic timeout that helped him assess the pitch conditions better. Stitching a crucial partnership of 81 in 51 balls, Rahane scored 38 runs, while Raghuvanshi hit 50.
“The main communication was by Ajinkya and Angkrish. The messages they sent during the time-out made us understand that it’s not an easy pitch to just go out there and hit. You have to take your time,” he said.
KKR’s batting strategy relied on Iyer and Rinku Singh laying a foundation before accelerating in the death overs, knowing they had destructive batters like Andre Russell waiting in the dugout. “I have that luxury because we have Rinku, Ramandeep (Singh), and (Andre) Russell in the back end. Even if I take a few balls, I know that I can cover it to an extent. We still have our engine room which can demolish any bowling attack,” Iyer added.
When discussing SRH’s ultra-aggressive batting approach that faltered against KKR’s bowling attack led by Vaibhav Arora and Varun Chakaravarthy (who took three wickets each), Iyer mentioned, “We’re not comfortable with any score when it comes to SRH. A team which is ultra-aggressive always carries the risk of losing wickets, and that’s what we wanted to exploit.”
Iyer also expressed appreciation for facing star Indian pacer Mohammed Shami, who recently returned to cricketing action after a long layoff due to injury. “The cricket fan in me is very happy to see Shami Bhai back and running in full flow. It was extremely challenging to play him in the Ranji trophy as well, but here in T20, the bowler also has a mindset that if they err, they can get hit for a boundary,” he concluded.
Sports
IPL 2025: Only unfinished business is lifting the trophy, says SRH’s Nitish Reddy

New Delhi, April 3: After ending up as runners-up in the last edition of the IPL, Sunrisers Hyderabad all-rounder Nitish Kumar Reddy feels that the only unfinished business for the franchise is to lift the trophy this season.
SRH had a tough start to the IPL 2025 season as they lost their last two matches and are placed in eighth place in the standings. They will look to add two points against defending champions Kolkata Knight Riders at Eden Gardens on Thursday, in a rematch of the IPL 2024 final.
“To be honest, I never set personal goals, even when playing for India or in the IPL last year. The only unfinished business is lifting the trophy. We created history with some records, but our ultimate goal is to win the IPL title and add a second star to SRH’s legacy,” Reddy said on JioHotstar’s show ‘Gen Bold’.
Reflecting on his growth since the breakthrough last season, where he scored 303 runs in 13 matches for SRH and went on to make his India debut in T20I and Test formats, Reddy said, “I am very happy with the progress I’ve made, both in my performances for my country and my IPL franchise. I want to continue delivering at the same level. There has been a significant change – people have started recognising me and praising my performances.
“However, I don’t want to let this get to my head. Moving forward, I want to play with the same passion and consistency, whether it’s for my franchise or India. My focus remains on keeping my love for cricket alive.”
The 21-year-old lauded Pat Cummins’ leadership skills and termed him a calm and composed captain. “He is an extremely calm and composed leader. The way he handles pressure is remarkable. When you see your captain managing things so smoothly, it instils confidence in the entire group.”
“His composure helps us believe that we can always make a comeback. As a captain, he is brilliant, and I truly enjoy playing under his leadership,” Reddy said.
On SRH’s explosive batting line-up, he added, “I would rate my team very highly. We had an incredible season last year, and we want to replicate that success. Our strategy is simple – playing with a free mind, maximizing runs in the powerplay, and carrying that momentum into the later overs. Whether it’s the top or middle order, everyone has a role to play. We’re hopeful for another great season.”
Reddy picked Kagiso Rabada as the toughest bowler to face in the IPL and said facing him was a tough challenge.
“I guess I have started understanding the bowlers better now. Just as they study my game, I analyse theirs too. My approach will remain the same, but I will adapt to situations as required. Last year, I didn’t play the first four matches, but when I did, I found Kagiso Rabada particularly challenging. When we played against Punjab, he was very expressive on that wicket, and facing him there was a tough challenge for me,” he said.
-
Crime3 years ago
Class 10 student jumps to death in Jaipur
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai Local Train Update: Central Railway’s New Timetable Comes Into Effect; Check Full List Of Revised Timings & Stations
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
Mumbai To Go Toll-Free Tonight! Maharashtra Govt Announces Complete Toll Waiver For Light Motor Vehicles At All 5 Entry Points Of City
-
Maharashtra6 months ago
False photo of Imtiaz Jaleel’s rally, exposing the fooling conspiracy
-
National News6 months ago
Ministry of Railways rolls out Special Drive 4.0 with focus on digitisation, cleanliness, inclusiveness and grievance redressal
-
Crime6 months ago
Baba Siddique Murder: Mumbai Police Unable To Get Lawrence Bishnoi Custody Due To Home Ministry Order, Says Report
-
Maharashtra5 months ago
Maharashtra Elections 2024: Mumbai Metro & BEST Services Extended Till Midnight On Voting Day
-
National News7 months ago
J&K: 4 Jawans Killed, 28 Injured After Bus Carrying BSF Personnel For Poll Duty Falls Into Gorge In Budgam; Terrifying Visuals Surface