Connect with us
Tuesday,18-August-2026
Breaking News

National News

After LoC, Pakistan violates ceasefire on International Border in Jammu

Published

on

Jammu, April 30: After resorting to unprovoked ceasefire violation on the Line of Control (LoC) consecutively for the last six days, Pakistani troops on Wednesday initiated unprovoked firing on the International Border (IB) in the Jammu district.

The Defence ministry spokesman said, “Further to the previous update about 29-30 April (Night), unprovoked small arms firing by Pakistan Army was also reported from their posts across the LoC in Baramulla and Kupwara districts, as well as across the International Border in the Pargwal Sector.”

“Indian Army troops responded appropriately,” the spokesman said.

The Pakistan Army had already initiated unprovoked firing on the LoC in Jammu and Kashmir on Wednesday for the sixth consecutive day as the Indian Army responded swiftly and proportionately.

The Defence Ministry spokesman said earlier today, “During the night of 29-30 April 2025, Pakistan Army posts initiated unprovoked small-arms fire across the LoC opposite the Naushera, Sunderbani and Akhnoor sectors in the Union Territory of Jammu & Kashmir.”

“Indian Army troops responded swiftly and proportionately,” the spokesman said.

During April 28-29, the Pakistan Army resorted to unprovoked small arms firing across the LoC in areas opposite Kupwara and Baramulla districts, as well as the Akhnoor sector of Jammu district.

The officials said the Indian Army responded to the provocation in a measured and effective manner.

Tensions have mounted between the two countries after Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorists sponsored and aided by Pakistan killed 26 innocent civilians, including 25 tourists and a local, on April 22 in Baisaran meadow of Pahalgam.

The entire country was outraged by the cowardly act of terrorists, and Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in his first reaction to Pahalgam killings that the terrorists, their handlers and backers would he chased and hunted down to the ends of the earth.

PM Modi has given a free hand to the armed forces to decide on the timing, targets and the response to the Pahalgam terror attack.

The statement came after Defence Minister Rajnath Singh, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval, Chief of Defence Services, and the three chiefs of the Army, Navy, and Air Force had a meeting with the PM.

J&K Lt Governor Manoj Sinha had a security review meeting with Army Chief General Upendra Dwivedi in Srinagar a few days ago.

The L-G asked the Army to use whatever force is required to hunt down the perpetrators of the Pahalgam terror attack. Meanwhile, to send a powerful message to terrorists, their overground workers (OGWs) and sympathisers, security forces continue to demolish the houses of terrorists.

Security forces have so far demolished the houses of 10 terrorists, who are reportedly still active in the Kashmir Valley.

On Monday, the J&K Assembly unanimously condemned the dastardly terrorist attack and passed a resolution on this.

National News

BJP leaders welcome Trump’s praise for India’s electoral system, SP smells a rat

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 18: As US President Donald Trump lauded India’s electoral system to strengthen his point for introduction of mandatory voter identification requirements in the United States, the BJP on Tuesday called it a “proud moment” for the country.

Speaking to media, BJP MP Praveen Khandelwal said, “This clearly shows how diligently, sincerely and transparently the Election Commission of India works. US President Donald Trump’s statement is a strong rebuttal to all those who repeatedly question the Election Commission of India and its functioning. They should at least understand that if the US President is praising India’s election system and the Election Commission, it demonstrates that our Election Commission works in a fair and transparent manner, leaving no room for doubt.”

BJP spokesperson R.P. Singh said, “India’s Election Commission and its electoral system are respected worldwide. The world acknowledges it as one of the best procedures. Donald Trump has now said that he wants to implement the process of voter ID cards through the SIR procedure, similar to what is done here. It’s good that both countries are learning from each other.”

Bihar Minister Ramkripal Yadav said, “Salute to Indian democracy, salute to the free Election Commission, salute to the people of Bihar, and salute to the system. Now, if America discusses India regarding elections, then it is a big thing.”

“India is giving a message to the world, and the US is appreciating it. So, it’s a proud moment. Awareness has increased, and participation is also increasing. The Election Commission has worked towards removing non-national people from the country,” he added.

However, Samajwadi Party spokesperson Ashutosh Verma disputed the BJP’s interpretation, saying, “Trump did not say that; your question is incorrect. Gyanesh Kumar said it. He asked Trump how such a large election could be conducted in the US without valid identification. The question is incorrect. You should instead ask why democracy has not come under attack in your country and why questions have not been raised about democracy there.”

“Gyanesh Kumar is going there and talking about voter IDs and all, but he is not saying that 80 per cent of people raise questions about him. So, in a democracy, there should not be one-way communication. We see that in the US, there is democracy and it is alive. Even after losing, he has chosen once again. The voting happens on ballot papers,” he added.

Samajwadi Party MP Awadhesh Prasad said, “Trump’s ideology is dangerous for our country. Because of Trump’s policies, our country’s economy has been affected. His policies have also impacted the interests of our farmers… Trump is not a person with a consistent ideology, nor is he a predictable leader. It is difficult to say what he might say or where he might turn next. Therefore, it would be in our country’s best interest to maintain a distance from him.”

US President Donald Trump cited India’s election system while giving renewed calls for the passage of the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) America Act, which seeks stricter citizenship requirements to vote in US elections.

Taking to his Truth Social platform, Trump recalled that India’s Chief Election Commissioner, Gyanesh Kumar, recently asked the US administration about why elections in America are held without a valid photo identification card, as he made a case for mandatory photo IDs for every US voter to curb “electoral fraud”.

“Earlier this month, India’s Chief Election Commissioner, Gyanesh Kumar, asked our Administration — How can you have Elections in the US without a valid Photo ID,” Trump wrote.

Trump made these remarks to drum up support for the SAVE America Act, which would require Americans to show proof of citizenship to register to vote, impose a nationwide voter identification requirement and severely limit voting by mail.

Continue Reading

National News

‘Cong not only against BJP, but against country’, claims Kangana; criticises Sonia Gandhi over Vande Mataram row

Published

on

BJP MP and actress Kangana Ranaut on Tuesday expressed deep concern over allegations that Congress Parliamentary Party (CPP) Chairperson Sonia Gandhi objected to the full rendition of Vande Mataram at the AICC headquarters.

Her remarks came after an alleged dramatic episode at the Congress headquarters, Indira Bhavan, on Saturday, where the full version of Vande Mataram was sung despite the party’s position that only its first two stanzas would be rendered.

Congress President Mallikarjun Kharge unfurled the Tricolour at the party headquarters during the Independence Day celebrations, following which singers began rendering Vande Mataram.

However, the singing continued through the full version of the national song despite the party’s stand to restrict the rendition to its first two stanzas.

Sonia Gandhi was reportedly the first to notice that the singers were continuing with the full version. She allegedly gestured towards Kharge and later appeared to communicate with the singers, asking them to stop.

Speaking to IANS, Kangana Ranaut said, “Vande Mataram represents the consciousness of India. As an artist, I understand the impact that art and poetry can have on people. The level of opposition and hatred shown towards it, and the efforts made to stop its rendition, are deeply concerning.”

“I will say that Congress is not only becoming anti-BJP, but also against the country,” she claimed.

Kangana Ranaut further said that the BJP has strengthened its team to address the challenges facing the country.

“Siddhivinayak and the other temples are among the protectors of our Mumbai region, and whenever we come here, we are fortunate to seek their blessings. Today is especially significant as BJP workers here presented me with a Ganpati idol,” she said.

“The BJP has strengthened its team to address the challenges we face today, including the spread of Naxal ideology and the narratives being promoted. Today, social media and reel culture have a greater influence on young people than newspapers, textbooks and parental guidance,” she added.

“To address these challenges, women and youth have been included in the team. With renewed energy, the team will work towards Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision for India by 2047,” she said.

Continue Reading

National News

Fire breaks out on second floor of ATC building at Kolkata airport, flight operations hit

Published

on

Kolkata: A sudden fire incident in the early hours of Tuesday caused widespread panic at the Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International (NSCBI) Airport, Kolkata.

It is learnt that the fire broke out on the second floor of the Air Traffic Control (ATC) building at Kolkata Airport. However, due to the swift response of the firefighters and airport authorities, the fire was brought under control very quickly. At the same time, flight operations remained unaffected. The situation at present is completely normal.

According to airport staff, the security guards and other staff on duty suddenly saw flames coming out of the second floor of the ATC building at around 4 a.m.

Before they knew it, the fire started spreading to a specific part of the building in a matter of moments. The area was covered in black smoke.

As soon as the news was received, the fire station’s engines adjacent to the airport rushed to the scene. The firefighters started extinguishing the fire quickly. Since the ATC building is a sensitive and important part of the airport, no risks were taken. Several more fire engines arrived at the spot to bring the situation under control. Soon, the fire was completely brought under control within a short time due to the efforts of the firefighters. Later, cooling down work was also done so that there was no new danger from the pocket fire.

An airport official said, “The fire was mostly confined to an open area. There has been no major disruption of work or damage to ATC. There was no need to evacuate the entire building as the firefighters were quick to identify the source and contain the fire.”

An investigation has already started into the exact reason why such a fire broke out in such a secure and important high-rise building. Firefighters suspect that some decoration work was recently done on the second floor of the ATC building on Independence Day and small decorative lights were installed there.

It is suspected that the fire broke out due to the decorative lights being on for a long time or due to a short circuit in the weak wire of the decorations. However, a probe is underway to find out whether there is any other electrical or mechanical malfunction or negligence in maintenance behind this fire.

Continue Reading

Trending