Connect with us
Saturday,22-August-2026
Breaking News

Crime

After ED, CBI raids premises linked to Anil Ambani in Rs 2,000 crore bank fraud case

Published

on

Mumbai, Aug 23: Days after the Enforcement Directorate (ED) questioned businessman Anil Ambani in a money laundering case, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Saturday raided premises linked to Reliance Communications (RCOM) and its Promoter Director.

The raids, conducted at multiple places in Mumbai, were in connection with an alleged fraud that caused a loss of over Rs 2,000 crore to the State Bank of India (SBI), according to sources.

The SBI classified RCOM and 66-year-old Ambani as “fraud” on June 13 in accordance with the Reserve Bank of India’s Master Directions on Fraud Risk Management and the Bank’s Board-approved Policy on Classification, Reporting & Management of Frauds.

In its letter to RCom, SBI said it found deviation in the utilisation of loans, involving a complex web of fund movements across multiple group entities.

“We have taken cognisance of the responses to our show-cause notice and after due examination of the same, it is concluded that sufficient reasons have not been provided by the respondent, to explain the non-adherence to the agreed terms and conditions of the loan documents or the irregularities observed in the conduct of the account of RCL to the satisfaction of the bank,” the bank said.

As per RBI guidelines, after a bank classifies an account as “fraud”, the lender should then report it to the RBI within 21 days of detection and also report the case to the CBI or police.

Earlier this month, Anil Ambani faced a gruelling nine-hour interrogation at the ED headquarters in the national capital regarding an alleged Rs 17,000-crore loan fraud case.

The regulator was set to call Anil Ambani again for questioning in a couple of days, according to sources.

Reliance Group Chairman had reportedly sought 7-10 days from the probe agency to submit documents related to the alleged scam.

According to sources, Anil Ambani sought to deny any involvement in the case, maintaining that all financial decisions were taken by the internal board of his companies, and that he only signed them.

The ED had conducted raids at locations linked to Anil Ambani’s Reliance Group. Investigators seized a large number of documents, hard drives, and other digital records from several sites in Mumbai and Delhi. The raids began as part of a money laundering investigation into the Yes Bank loan fraud case.

Crime

‘Give her to us’: Adobe techie Vinay Gupta’s mother, sister allege pre-planned murder by in-laws in Delhi

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 22: The mother and sister of 31-year-old software engineer Vinay Gupta, who was allegedly beaten to death by his in-laws in outer Delhi Nihal Vihar area, on Saturday alleged that the killing was pre-planned and demanded strict punishment for those responsible.

Speaking to reporters, Gupta’s mother alleged that her daughter-in-law had orchestrated the murder and deliberately called her relatives to their home.

“Give her to us, and we will punish her with our own hands. She orchestrated his murder and left,” she said.

According to her, the incident occurred early in the morning when her daughter-in-law allegedly called her brothers to the house. “We were preparing to serve them water, thinking that relatives had come to visit. But they did not want water. They grabbed him by his hands, choked his throat, jumped on his chest and killed him right before my eyes within five minutes,” she alleged.

She further claimed that when she tried to save her son, she too was assaulted. “When I rushed to save him, they beat me. When his father tried to rescue him, they assaulted him as well. Everything went dark before my eyes. There was no one else in the house. She had the CCTV cameras switched off,” the grieving mother stated.

Calling the incident pre-planned, she said there had been no major dispute before the attack. She claimed that six people were involved, of whom four had reportedly been detained while two are absconding.

Gupta’s sister, who was at her in-laws’ home at the time of the incident, also alleged that the killing had been planned in advance.

“My parents and my brother were alone at home. In the morning, she had an argument over something and stormed out of the house. Within just 10 minutes, she returned with six men from her family. She led them upstairs,” she said.

“My mother was preparing to serve them water, thinking that guests had arrived. But they refused the water, grabbed my brother by his hair, choked his throat and killed him. Before leaving the house, she had intentionally switched off the CCTV cameras,” she alleged.

She questioned how the relatives could have reached the house within 10 minutes when their residence was allegedly around 30 minutes away.

“It was completely pre-planned. Everything was orchestrated in advance,” she said, adding that her elderly parents were unable to save her brother.

The sister also alleged that Gupta’s wife frequently fought over minor issues and threatened the family. “There were six people who killed my brother,” she alleged.

The deceased was a resident of Laxmi Park and worked as a software engineer with Adobe in Noida. He had married his 31-year-old wife, a homemaker, around three-and-a-half years ago. The couple have twin children — a son and a daughter — who are about four-and-a-half months old.

According to the victim’s family, an argument broke out between Gupta and his wife in the morning over a matrimonial issue. Following the dispute, the woman allegedly contacted members of her parental family, who later arrived at the couple’s residence in Nihal Vihar.

The family alleged that Gupta was subsequently attacked and severely beaten by his wife’s relatives. Gupta was later rushed to a nearby hospital for treatment. However, doctors declared him dead on arrival.

Continue Reading

Crime

Andhra MP’s son tests negative for alcohol after fatal Aston Martin crash

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 22: Preliminary tests for alcohol and drugs have returned negative for 21-year-old Lingamaneni Sanjush, the son of Andhra Pradesh Rajya Sabha MP, Lingamaneni Ramesh, following a fatal Aston Martin accident in Hyderabad.

The accident took place near Inorbit Mall on August 16, when Sanjush was allegedly driving the luxury car. The vehicle struck 26-year-old Bharati Mukhi, a sales executive, leaving her critically injured. She was rushed to Apollo Hospital for treatment but was declared dead on arrival, according to police.

Investigators said Sanjush was allegedly driving at a high speed in a rash and negligent manner at the time of the collision. The Aston Martin has been seized and examined by a Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI), while the authorities are awaiting the inspection report.

Police said that despite the negative preliminary screening for alcohol and narcotic substances, Sanjush’s blood samples have been forwarded to the Forensic Science Laboratory (FSL) for detailed analysis. The final forensic findings, along with the MVI inspection report and the victim’s post-mortem report, are expected to play an important role in the ongoing investigation.

A case has been registered under Section 106(1) of the Bharatiya Nyaya Sanhita (BNS) for causing death through a rash or negligent act. The provision carries a maximum punishment of five years in prison.

Police said Sanjush was not arrested immediately because the evidence available at that stage did not justify custodial action. Instead, he was issued a notice under Section 35 of the Bharatiya Nagarik Suraksha Sanhita (BNSS) and directed to cooperate with investigators.

The Deputy Commissioner of Police dismissed allegations that Sanjush received preferential treatment because of political connections or outside pressure. The officer maintained that the action taken by police was in line with legal provisions and Supreme Court guidelines governing arrests.

Police added that Sanjush could be arrested later if additional evidence or the findings of the investigation warrant such action. Investigators are continuing to collect forensic, technical and other evidence to establish the precise circumstances surrounding the crash.

The Aston Martin involved in the accident was reportedly not registered in Sanjush’s name. Meanwhile, Sanjush has maintained that he did not leave the scene after the collision. He claimed that he helped take Bharati to the hospital and subsequently cooperated with the police probe.

Following the post-mortem examination, Bharati’s body was handed over to her brother and later taken to Odisha. Her post-mortem report is still awaited.

Bharati was reportedly the sole earning member of her family. Her death has led to calls for financial assistance for her family as the investigation into the fatal accident continues.

Continue Reading

Crime

15 years on the run: Delhi Police arrest 72-year-old proclaimed offender in extortion case

Published

on

New Delhi, Aug 22: In a major breakthrough against long-evading fugitives, the Special Cell of the Delhi Police on Saturday arrested a proclaimed offender who had been absconding for nearly 15 years in connection with an extortion case, officials said on Saturday.

The accused, identified as 72-year-old Hari Singh Shekhawat, a resident of Rajasthan’s Jaipur, was arrested by a team of the South-Western Range (SWR) of the Special Cell following an extensive inter-state search spanning Delhi, Haryana, Gujarat and Rajasthan.

The case dates back to 2008, when Shekhawat allegedly attempted to extort money from a prominent multinational garment company while he was employed with the firm. Following the incident, a case was registered against him at the Special Cell police station under Sections 384, 389, 506 and 511 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

According to officials, Shekhawat subsequently failed to appear before the court on multiple occasions and continued to evade the legal proceedings. Due to his persistent non-appearance, the court declared him a Proclaimed Offender on April 2, 2016.

In view of the recent efforts to track down absconding criminals and fugitives involved in sensational crimes, a team of the SWR/Special Cell was constituted to pursue such offenders and prevent them from committing further crimes.

The team was led by Inspector Sandeep Yadav and Inspector Neeraj Kumar under the supervision of ACP Puran Chandra Pant. The officers deployed extensive human surveillance and conducted sustained efforts to establish the whereabouts of criminals who had been evading arrest for prolonged periods.

“Consequent to the rigorous groundwork for more than one month, it was established that initially, he had shifted to Gujarat to avoid legal proceedings in this case and later on, shifted to Rajasthan,” officials said.

Investigators found that Shekhawat had initially moved to Gujarat in an attempt to avoid the legal proceedings arising from the extortion case. He subsequently shifted to Rajasthan, where he remained under the radar and continued to evade arrest for several years.

On August 13, the Special Cell team received credible information that the absconder was hiding in Jaipur, Rajasthan, in an attempt to avoid being arrested in the long-pending case.

Following the information, a dedicated raiding team was immediately formed and sent to Jaipur.

The police team carried out an intensive search operation in Jaipur and eventually confirmed that the accused was residing inside a residential society in the city. After verifying his presence and establishing his identity, the team apprehended Shekhawat from the residential premises.

The accused was subsequently arrested in accordance with the provisions of law, officials said, bringing to an end his prolonged period of evasion from the authorities.

Police officials said the arrest was the result of sustained surveillance, intelligence gathering and coordinated efforts across multiple states to locate the accused, who had repeatedly changed his place of residence to remain away from the legal process.

Hari Singh Shekhawat is a graduate of XLRI and has worked with several renowned multinational corporations in senior positions during his professional career.

According to officials, he was working with a prominent garment multinational company when he allegedly attempted to extort money from the firm in 2008.

Continue Reading

Trending