Connect with us
Monday,19-April-2021

Crime

Toolkit case: Nikita Jacob gets 3-weeks relief from arrest

Published

on

Nikita-Jacob

The Bombay High Court on Wednesday granted three weeks transit anticipatory bail to Mumbai-based activist lawyer Nikita Jacob in connection with the farmers’ protest ‘toolkit’ case.

The relief by Justice P.D. Naik came in her plea against a non-bailable arrest warrant issued against her and another activist Shantanu Muluk, by Delhi’s Tis Hazari Court.

The high court had reserved its order on Jacob when the matter was heard here on Tuesday after it was mentioned for an urgent hearing on Monday by her lawyers.

Simultaneously, the Bombay HC (Aurangabad Bench) on Tuesday granted a 10 days transit bail to Muluk, an engineer from Beed, in the same case.

Jacob and Muluk are among the accused with non-bailable warrants against them in the case involving a ‘toolkit’ shared with global climate campaigner Greta Thunberg in support of the farmers protests in Delhi.

Another accused activist, Disha Ravi was arrested by Delhi Police and is currently in police custody for five days.

The Delhi Police have claimed that Ravi, Jacob and Muluk created the ‘toolkit’ pertaining to the farmers agitation which was shared with Thunberg. A ‘toolkit’ is a series of guidelines suggesting how a particular aim can be achieved. Toolkits chart out plans of action explaining topics at hand and offers suggestions that could be followed to achieve particular goals.

Jacob’s lawyer Mihir Desai argued that she is a young woman, practicing law since the past six-seven years and a responsible environmental activist who was moved by the plight of the agitating farmers.

Crime

India’s 2nd Covid wave more infectious, lower fatality

Published

on

With the Covid-19 continuing to march aggressively, the Central Railway (CR) and Western Railway (WR) is all prepared to provide rail coaches for isolation of asymptomatic patients, officials said here on Friday.

While the WR has kept on standby 128 coaches, CR has reserved 25, totalling to 153 coaches where the patients can be shifted as Mumbai’s ‘active cases’ inches close to the one-lakh mark.

It may be recalled that last year, at the height of the Covid pandemic in 2020, the Indian Railways had converted over 5,000 rail coaches for Corona patients across the country.

However, till now railway coaches were not utilized in Mumbai or Mumbai Metropolitan Region (MMR) – both the worst-hit in the country – but this year in view of the steep increase in Covid patients, the isolation coaches may be used, officials said.

These coaches are parked at different railway sidings in and around the city, and can be quickly shunted around for medical use after washing, cleaning, installing oxygen cylinders inside, etc.

“We can deploy them at short notice after we get the request from the concerned medical authorities, and take them to the designated locations by adhering to all the government protocols in this regard,” said the official, declining to be identified.

The Mumbai tally has shot up to 553,404 cases and 12,197 deaths, besides 84,753 ‘active cases’.

The Mumbai Circle (MMR) has recorded a total of 11,50,776 cases and 21,416 deaths and the state tally is 36,39,855 cases and 59,153 fatalities till date.

Continue Reading

Crime

41 people dead in shipwreck off Tunisia: UN

Published

on

TRIPOLI-MIGRANTS-CAPSIZED-BOAT

A shipwreck off the coast of southeast Tunisia killed at least 41 people, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a joint statement.

The UN agencies said in the statement issued on Friday that three survivors have been rescued and the search effort was still underway, reports Xinhua news agency.

Based on initial information, the UN agencies said that all those who died were from Sub-Saharan Africa.

“This tragic loss of life underscores once again the need to enhance and expand state-led search and rescue operations across the Central Mediterranean, where some 290 people have lost their lives so far this year,” said the statement.

Continue Reading

Crime

18 people killed in Nigeria Boko Haram attack

Published

on

NIGERIA-BORNO-BOKO-HARAM-RECOVER

Eighteen people were killed and 21 others injured when members of the Boko Haram terror group attacked Nigeria’s northeastern town of Damasak earlier this week, wreaking havoc in the area, a top official said.

Babagana Umara Zulum, governor of the restive state of Borno, told reporters on Friday during he confirmed the toll from Tuesday’s attack during a visit to Damasak, reports Xinhua news agency.

“The UN humanitarian hub, private residential houses, a police station, a primary healthcare centre were among properties destroyed,” said Zulum.

He said he visited Damasak to fully assess the extent of damage and interact well with security officials involved in the counter-insurgency operations in the town, adding measures were put in place to forestall future attacks.

Boko Haram has been trying to establish an Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria since 2009.

The terror group has also extended its attacks to other countries in the Lake Chad Basin.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending