Connect with us
Thursday,06-August-2020

International

Sri Lanka drops probe into 2011 World Cup final fixing allegations

Published

on

Sri Lanka Cricket. (Photo: Twitter/@OfficialSLC)

The probe into match-fixing allegations surrounding the 2011 ICC World Cup final launched by the Sri Lankan Sports Ministry’s Special Investigation Unit (SIU) has ended, said Chief of the SIU SSP Jagath Fonseka on Friday.

Fonseka was quoted as saying by local media that the investigation, which included taking statements from Sri Lankan players involved in the match, produced no evidence to support the allegations.

“The three statements recorded thus far shows that there are no evidence to prove the 14 allegations raised by former Parliamentarian Mahindananda Aluthgamage. The International Cricket Council too has not responded with regard to the allegations. It has also not even commenced any investigations,” Fonseca told Lankadeepa Newspaper.

Among the cricketers who gave statements in this regard were then captain Kumar Sangakkara, Mahela Jayawardena, Upul Tharanga alongwith Aravinda De Silva, who was chairman of selectors before the 2011 tournament.

Fonseka said that the SIU will send the report on the investigation to the Secretary of the Ministry of Sports. A decision to end the investigation was drawn during a discussion with high ranking officials of the Special Investigation Unit held this morning, he said.

The probe was sparked by former Sports Minister Aluthgamage claiming that the match, in which Sri Lanka lost to India at the Wankhede Stadium in Mumbai, was fixed.

“The 2011 Cricket World Cup final was fixed. I stand by what I say. It took place when I was the minister of sports,” Aluthgamage had told Sri Lankan outlet newsfirst.lk last month.

“However, I do not wish to expose details for the sake of the country. The game against India in 2011, the game we could have won, was fixed. I say this with a responsibility and I can come forward for a debate. The people are concerned about it. I would not involve the cricketers in this. However, certain groups were definitely involved in fixing the game,” he added.

He later seemed to backtrack on the statements after both Sangakkara and Jayawardene publicly spoke out against him, claiming that he was talking about certain officials selling the match and not the players.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

International

Babar key to Pakistan’s success in England Tests, says Nasser Hussain

Published

on

Nasser-Hussain

Former England captain Nasser Hussain has heaped praise on Babar Azam, stating that the Pakistan Test vice-captain will have a huge say in the outcome of the three-Test series .

The first Test of the series will be played at the Ageas Bowl and Hussain stated Pakistan have a good bowling attack like the West Indies, but their better batting line-up makes them a formidable team.

“There’s 17-year-old Naseem Shah, who will push 90 miles per hour, and the tall left-armer Shaheen Afridi, who will get it through,” Hussain wrote in his column for Daily Mail.

“Add the wrist-spin of Yasir Shah and the accuracy of Mohammad Abbas, who has a phenomenal record in England, and that’s a useful line-up.

“Like West Indies they will need to give their bowlers runs to play with, but where they are different is that they have a stronger batting order,” he added.

According to Hussain, Babar is not just consistent but also plays good positive cricket and that is what makes him one of the best in the world. Hussain feels if Babar has a good series, Pakistan will end up to be on the winning side.

“The outstanding member of that line-up is Babar Azam, who has the best average in the world over the past two years,” Hussain wrote further.

“Babar has taken on the responsibility of being Pakistan’s leading batsman now and it is not only his stats that are impressive but the way he bats, because he is very pleasing on the eye.

“He will need to have a good series for Pakistan to win it,” he added.

Pakistan will also take confidence from the fact that they have done well in the last two Test series in the England. The 2018 series ended in a 1-1 draw while the 2016 series also ended with both teams sharing spoils after the conclusion of four-Test series (2-2).

Continue Reading

International

Cool we got them back but disappointed we didn’t win: Steve Smith on 2019 Ashes

Published

on

Australian-cricket-captain-Steve-Smith

Australia batsman Steve Smith feels that his team have unfinished business in England from their last Ashes tour. Australia retained the Ashes for the first time since 2001 but the series itself was a draw with the visitors losing the last Test.

“To know that we’d got the Ashes back was pretty special,” he told The Unplayable Podcast’s Ashes Revisited special.

“Unfortunately, we couldn’t win them which is something I’d still like to do.

“It just doesn’t feel the same … you get to the end of the series and we’re there holding up the Ashes but we’d just lost the last Test match, and we actually hadn’t won anything.

“It was cool to get them back, but I was actually more disappointed that we hadn’t won them.”

Smith was the player that most commentators said was the difference between the two sides.

Playing his first Test series since the 2018 ball tampering scandal led to him getting a one-year ban and losing the captaincy, Smith scored a mind numbing 774 runs at an average of 110.57 from four Tests played.

It was an Ashes series aggregate in the UK surpassed only by Don Bradman (974 at 139.14 from five Tests in 1930) and Mark Taylor (839 at 83.9 from six in 1989).

Smith however said that he left The Oval after the final Test with conflicting emotions. “From my personal perspective, I think it’s unfinished business. It’s great to retain the Ashes but it just doesn’t sit right with me when you don’t win it,” he said.

“We drew the series — good, but not great. So I probably left at the end of the fifth Test (feeling) more disappointed than a sense of achievement.”

Continue Reading

International

We now only have a few real fast bowlers around the world: Shoaib Akhtar

Published

on

Shoaib-Akhtar

Former Pakistan speedster Shoaib Akhtar feels pacers of today do not bowl fast anymore as the laws of the game and the rigours of it don’t provide that space.

Shoaib was the first bowler to break the 100mph mark. He retired in 2011 having taken 444 international wickets across the three formats.

“Ten years ago, bowlers would bowl 155kph (96.3mph) and now they’re all of a sudden bowling 135km/h (83.9mph). We now only have a few real fast bowlers around the world. Back in the day, South Africa alone had six.

“The cricket laws don’t allow you to bowl fast now: two new balls, too much restriction, too much cricket, too many Twenty20 leagues, too much money, too many TV rights,” Shoaib told BBC’s TMS commentator Isa Guha and Aatif Nawaz on the BBC’s Doosra podcast.

“Players are now getting smarter and more focused on money; they want to save their careers and legs and play for 10 years — whereas I would fight for that specific series only, I fought for the day.

“The laws were more relaxed back then. When they banned us from bowling more than two bouncers I was gutted. I was like: “How do you trap the batsman? Where is the bodyline bowling?

“Please allow me to hit the guy and let him hit me back. This is what you want to see in international cricket. I’m sick of seeing this lame, prim and proper cricket,” said the ‘Rawalpindi Express’ who made history by becoming the first bowler to officially bowl at 100mph during the 2003 World Cup.

“Breaking the 100mph barrier wasn’t a big deal to me. It was just media hype, an international cricket gimmick. I wasn’t getting paid for this — to break my bones trying to bowl that fast,” said Shoaib.

“I just thought: “For heaven’s sake, I need to finish this and just do it.” So I planned it all out, I started training for it.

“I ran with 170kg weights on my back, taking 20kg off after every 100 metre sprint. I also used to bowl from 26 yards with something much heavier than a cricket ball. When I came back to the 22 yards, I was about 6km/h (3.7mph) quicker.

“I planned to bowl it against Nick Knight. I said to him: “I’m going to hurt you, so make sure you stay out of the way.’ I told him I’d bowl 100mph in that over, on that exact ball,” he added, throwing light to his preparation.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

WP2Social Auto Publish Powered By : XYZScripts.com