Connect with us
Wednesday,26-January-2022

Maharashtra

Probe role of ex-top cop in missing DVR: Congress to NIA

Published

on

Param-Bir-Singh

Adding a fresh dimension to the SUV-businessman death cases, the Maharashtra Congress on Saturday asked the National Investigation Agency (NIA) to probe the role of ex-city top cop Param Bir Singh into the alleged disappearance of a DVR from the Mumbai Police Commissionerate.

State Congress Spokesperson Sachin Sawant said that when Singh was the Mumbai Commissioner of Police (CoP) the police headquarters’ digital video recorder had gone missing.

“Surprisingly, its over 18 days but so far the NIA has not bothered to even record the statements of any senior officers of the prime accused, arrested API Sachin Vaze. Who are they trying to protect”, Sawant said, addressing the media.

He pointed out how on March 10, the DVR of the CoP premises was officially collected by the Maharashtra Anti Terrorism Squad, but a couple of hours later, the CoP’s office felt it was a mistake to hand over the DVR to the probe agency.

Some from Singh’s office called up the ATS Chief Jai Jeet Singh, asking for the DVR, claiming its quality was poor, it would be rechecked and given back to the ATS later, and this aspect will come out in the NIA probe, the Congress leader said.

The DVR was taken by an official who was sent from the CoP’s office, but since then, the DVR has gone missing, and nobody is talking about it, he claimed.

“Why is the NIA still not going after this In this DVR, the movements of the SUV Scorpio, an Innova were clearly visible and also Sachin Vaze and others who were in contact with him. Its a crucial bit of evidence, but the NIA is doing nothing in the matter since nearly three weeks,” Sawant said.

Slamming the Opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), he said it has been consistently trying to ‘divert’ attention from the Antilia case, then the Thane businessman Mansukh Hiran death, later it was the CoP’s letter to Home Minster Anil Deshmukh, followed by the illegal phone-tapping ordered by former State Intelligence Department Commissioner Rashmi Shukla.

“They keep changing the goal-posts to defame and destabilize the Maha Vikas Aghadi government Though Shukla had apologized for making the fake report on the cops’ transfer racket and had not given a 6.3 GB pendrive to the state government, then from where Fadnavis get it (pendrive) and what did he hand over to the Union Home Secretary?” asked Sawant.

He said it is surprising that Fadnavis kept quiet for over seven months on his trusted officer Shukla’s ‘Top Secret’ report and has brought it up only now to shift the focus from Param Bir Singh matter.

However, he said the truth will emerge from a thorough judicial probe, will reveal more names of those involved in the conspiracies, how the cases (SUV-Hiran) were abruptly taken away from the ATS and given to the NIA, etc.

Sawant’s verbal missives came a day after it became apparent that the MVA has decided to launch an offensive against a section of powerful serving and retired bureaucrats, allegedly working in tandem with the Opposition to topple the Shiv Sena-Nationalist Congress Party-Congress government headed by Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray.

Maharashtra

Can reduce Juhi Chawla’s 5G suit fine, but on one condition: Delhi HC

Published

on

By

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday said it will consider reducing actress-environmentalist Juhi Chawla’s fine – slapped for abuse of the process of law in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology – from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 2 lakh on the condition she does some service for the public.

A division bench of Justice Vipin Sanghi and Justice Jasmeet Singh said: “We will make it Rs 2 lakh but that comes with another condition. Considering that your client is a celebrity, she should do some public work. Her status should be implied for some good of society. She could do a programme for the Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA).”

Representing Chawla, senior advocate Salman Khurshid, argued that the petitioner had raised a genuine concern on the impact of 5G technology on the human body. If the cost amount could be waived, his client could go back to pursue the cause, he said.

Later, he said he would seek her instructions on the suggestion made by the court.

Further, issuing notice to the DLSA Secretary, the court listed the case for further hearing on January 27.

On January 21, the DSLSA approached the court seeking the execution of the order, in which Chawla and two others were directed to deposit Rs 20 lakh fine imposed in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology.

On June 4 last year, Justice J.R. Midha had dismissed her lawsuit against the setting up of 5G wireless networks in the country. Her plea stated the levels of RF radiation are 10 to 100 times greater than the existing levels. It also claimed that the 5G wireless technology can be a potential threat to provoke irreversible and serious effects on humans and it could also permanently damage the earth’s ecosystems.

The court had held that the suit filed by Chawla and two others were defective, non-maintainable, and also contained unverified and vexatious assertions and also imposed the fine.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Maha BJP MLA Nitesh Rane moves SC for anticipatory bail

Published

on

By

BJP’s Maharashta MLA Nitesh Rane, the son of Union Minister Narayan Rane, has moved the Supreme Court, seeking anticipatory bail in an attempt to murder lodged against him in Sindhudurg district last month.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, representing Rane, mentioned the matter for urgent hearing before a bench headed by Chief Justice N.V. Ramana, submitting that the matter is a result of political rivalry. After hearing brief submissions, the bench agreed to consider the request to list the matter urgently.

Rane has challenged the January 17 order of the Bombay High Court, declining to entertain his plea seeking anticipatory bail, before the top court. The matter is connected with a road rage incident, which occurred in December last year. The complainant alleged that his motorcycle was hit by a car without a number plate and claimed he heard one of the occupants say “should inform Gotya Sawant and Nitesh Rane”.

The Maharashtra Police had given an oral assurance before the high court that Rane would not be arrested till Monday. However, Nitish claimed the case was registered to stop him from participating in the Sindhudurg District Co-operative Bank elections.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

PM condoles loss of lives in Maha accident

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday expressed deep grief over the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. The Prime Minister has also announced an ex-gratia from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) for the victims.

In a series of tweets, the Prime Minister’s Office tweeted, “Pained by the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. In this hour of sadness, my thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that those injured are able to recover soon: PM.”

In another tweet, the PMO said, “PM @narendramodi announced that Rs. 2 lakh each from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of those who have lost their lives in the accident near Selsura. Those who are injured would be given Rs. 50,000.”

At least seven medical students, including the son of a BJP legislator, were killed in a major road accident on the highway in Wardha district of Maharashtra early on Tuesday.

According to a police official, the accident took place when they were travelling in an SUV from Yavatmal to Wardha. At one stretch as the SUV sped on a bridge near Selsura, the driver lost control over the vehicle and it plunged into the river below. All the victims were students of the Sangavi Medical College.

Continue Reading

Trending