Connect with us
Saturday,17-April-2021

Crime

Pakistani agencies desperate to stop key D-company financier’s extradition to US

Published

on

dawood-ibrahim

In a last ditch effort, Pakistani agencies exercised all available resources to thwart extradition of Dawood’s Ibrahim’s key finance manager and drug operator Jabir Motiwala to the US.

Officials of Pakistan’s High Commission in London were reportedly seen with Motiwala’s pleaders, pursuing D-company aide’s appeal in High Court, in a bid to prevent D-company’s ultimate trial in the US, sources in Indian Intelligence agencies said.

Intelligence sources said that once the High Court clears Jabir Motiwala’s extradition, his subsequent trial in the US on charges of drug trafficking and money laundering will unmask D-company’s link with the ISI and its entire underworld operations in a US Court.

“The trial of the Jabir could also highlight, how Dawood, a global terrorist wanted in serial bomb blasts in Mumbai has been operating from Karachi and sharing drug routes with major terror outfits patronised by ISI,” said a senior IPS officer in New Delhi.

Motiwala, who operates for Dawood Ibrahim, is a Pakistani National, presently imprisoned in Wandsworth jail in south west London.

The High Court on Thursday reserved its judgement on Jabir Motiwala’s extradition to the US, earlier granted by a Westminster Magistrate’s court, last year.

Sources said that in a few weeks time, the High Court’s judgement on Motiwala’s fate could be expected. A section of Pakistani media, meanwhile has said that Motiwala, who hails from a well to do family in Karachi has been framed by US law enforcing agencies in drugs operations.

On the other hand, the US agencies have provided documentary evidence of drug dealing and handling finance of D-Company including tapes, against Motiwala in the court.

Pakistani diplomats had earlier tried to thwart the extradition move by submitting a letter on behalf of accused’s lawyer in the Magistrate’s court, saying Motiwala was a “well known respected businessman in the Pakistan”.

In fact Pakistani diplomats fear that once Motiwala is extradited to US, the close aide of D-company can reveal the entire nexus between Dawood Ibrahim’s underworld network (being operated from Karachi) and don’s connection with Pakistan’s spy agency Inter Services Intelligence (ISI).

The US had already declared Dawood a global terrorist running international drug syndicate and sharing gang’s routes with Pakistan based terror outfits.

Sources said that Dawood’s key finance aide Jabir Motiwala, was produced in Magistrates courts in London after his arrest by Scotland Yard Extradition Unit on charges of money laundering and sharing proceeds of narcotics money earned on behalf of the D-company.

Sources said that Barrister John Hardy, appearing on behalf of the US government, had earlier revealed to the Magistrate’s Court that Jabir Motiwala, a close aide of Dawood, travelled extensively and conducted (underworld crimes related) meetings for his boss Dawood Ibrahim, an Indian who along with his brother Anees, are wanted for terror crimes in India.

During the extradition trial Defence lawyer for the D-company member, told the Court that Motiwala was suffering from depression and had made several suicide attempts in the past few years.

The lawyer argued that in such a situation, Motiwala cannot be extradited to the US to face trial.

Sources said that contrary to the Defence lawyers claim, Motiwala has been investing D-company’s black money into various projects abroad. He is said to be involved in drug trafficking and also travels to collect money on behalf of the D-company in Europe.

Sources said that Motiwala’s extradition to the US, if endorsed by higher Court would be a setback for Dawood as well as his patrons in Pakistani establishment.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

41 people dead in shipwreck off Tunisia: UN

Published

on

TRIPOLI-MIGRANTS-CAPSIZED-BOAT

A shipwreck off the coast of southeast Tunisia killed at least 41 people, the UN Refugee Agency (UNHCR) and the International Organization for Migration (IOM) said in a joint statement.

The UN agencies said in the statement issued on Friday that three survivors have been rescued and the search effort was still underway, reports Xinhua news agency.

Based on initial information, the UN agencies said that all those who died were from Sub-Saharan Africa.

“This tragic loss of life underscores once again the need to enhance and expand state-led search and rescue operations across the Central Mediterranean, where some 290 people have lost their lives so far this year,” said the statement.

Continue Reading

Crime

18 people killed in Nigeria Boko Haram attack

Published

on

NIGERIA-BORNO-BOKO-HARAM-RECOVER

Eighteen people were killed and 21 others injured when members of the Boko Haram terror group attacked Nigeria’s northeastern town of Damasak earlier this week, wreaking havoc in the area, a top official said.

Babagana Umara Zulum, governor of the restive state of Borno, told reporters on Friday during he confirmed the toll from Tuesday’s attack during a visit to Damasak, reports Xinhua news agency.

“The UN humanitarian hub, private residential houses, a police station, a primary healthcare centre were among properties destroyed,” said Zulum.

He said he visited Damasak to fully assess the extent of damage and interact well with security officials involved in the counter-insurgency operations in the town, adding measures were put in place to forestall future attacks.

Boko Haram has been trying to establish an Islamist state in northeastern Nigeria since 2009.

The terror group has also extended its attacks to other countries in the Lake Chad Basin.

Continue Reading

Crime

Rescue ops to locate missing fishermen on, 3 bodies recovered

Published

on

Indian-Navy

The Indian Navy recovered the bodies of three missing fishermen from the sea off the coast of Mangaluru in Karnataka on Friday.

The Navy will resume its search and rescue operation on Saturday to find the remaining six missing fishermen.

“Indian Naval Ship Nireekshak recovers three bodies of missing fishermen from the IFB ‘Rabah’ ship, to enter Mangalore port on Friday midnight to hand over the bodies,” the Indian Navy stated.

The Navy has deployed its surface and air assets for the Search and Rescue (SAR) operation launched for the missing fishermen in the sea off the coast of Mangaluru.

“It was reported that an Indian fishing boat, IFB Rabah, with 14 fishermen had suffered a collision with a Singapore flag merchant ship, MV APL Le Havre, 40 nautical miles west of Mangaluru at about 2 am on April 13,” the Navy said.

The boat IFB Rabah had set off from Beypore in Kozhikode district in Kerala on Sunday evening.

The India Coast Guard (ICG) confirmed the rescue of two crew members after an operation that began on Tuesday. After Wednesday, the Indian Navy was roped in for the search and rescue operation.

Indian Naval ships along with naval aircraft from Goa have been deployed in the area to augment the search and rescue efforts of the Coast Guard vessels.

While two rescued fishermen have been shifted to safety ashore, six bodies have been recovered thus far. The search is on for the remaining six fishermen.

To assist in the rescue efforts, INS Subhadra, a patrol vessel, was sailed from Karwar along with a diving team.

The ship arrived on the scene in the early hours of April 14.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending