Connect with us
Thursday,29-July-2021

National News

Omar Abdullah to vacate high security Srinagar residence

Published

on

Omar-Abdullah

Former Chief Minister and Vice President of the regional National Conference (NC), Omar Abdullah said on Wednesday that he has decided to vacate his official residence in the high security Gupkar Road area of Srinagar city.

Omar on Wednesday made public a letter he wrote to the administrative secretary, estates, hospitality and protocol.

The letter is, however, dated July 31, 2020.

In his letter Omar said he was allotted house G-1 in his capacity as a member of the Parliament representing the Srinagar Lok Sabha seat.

“Consequent upon my election as CM in 2008, the adjoining house was renovated and the complex of G-1 and G-5 was used as the official CM residence from October 2010 onwards.

“I continued to remain in occupation of the accommodation subsequent to my demitting the office of the CM in January 2015, as the rules allowed for me to retain an accommodation in Srinagar or Jammu and I chose to retain an accommodation in Srinagar.

“Consequent upon the change of entitlements for former CMs of J&K some months ago, I now find myself in unauthorised occupation of this accommodation as no attempt has been made to regularise the allotment to me on security or other grounds. This situation is unacceptable to me”.

In his tweet on Wednesday Omar said, “My letter to the J&K administration. I will be vacating my government accommodation in Srinagar before the end of October. The point to note is that, contrary to stories planted in the media last year I received no notice to vacate & have chosen to do so of my own accord”.

It must be mentioned that as per the rules made by the J&K government in the past, former Chief Ministers could retain the official accommodation they held during their tenure.

Consequent upon the abrogation of Article 370, the rule allowing this privilege of the Chief Ministers in J&K was not scrapped.

National News

Govt driver arrested in rape case has been suspended: Goa CM Pramod Sawant

Published

on

Pramod-Sawant

The Goa government has suspended a 33-year-old driver employed with the state Agriculture Ministry, days after he was accused of involvement in a rape of two teenaged women at South Goa’s Colva beach earlier this week, Chief Minister Pramod Sawant told the Goa legislative assembly on Thursday.

“The government staff involved in the case has been suspended. He has been suspended first and termination will follow,” Sawant told the ongoing monsoon session.

Four persons have been arrested in connection with the alleged rape of two teenagers at Colva beach on the night of July 24.

One of the accused Rajesh Mane is a driver attached to the state Agriculture Ministry.

Continue Reading

National News

Tejashwi Yadav to meet CM to press for caste census in Bihar

Published

on

Tejashwi-Yadav-and-Nitish-Kumar

Tejashwi Yadav, the leader of opposition in Bihar assembly, will soon meet chief minister Nitish Kumar to discuss caste-based census in Bihar.

This comes in the wake of central government’s denial to do the same in the country. Tejashwi Yadav said that Nitish Kumar also advocated caste-based census in the country. He said the opposition party leaders will ask him to put their views before Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

“Entire opposition parties in Bihar are with caste-based census. Hence, we will put our viewpoint before the chief minister and ask him to form a delegation comprising ruling as well as opposition leaders to meet with Narendra Modi on this issue,” Tejashwi said.

“As the central government has already denied for initiating caste-based census in the country and may not give time to us, in that case, Nitish Kumar should initiate the same in Bihar at the expense of the state government. The Karnataka government did the same in its own state after central government’s denial, the Nitish Kumar government can do the same,” Tejashwi Yadav said.

Tejashwi said that 70 per cent of the Hindu population in the country is from the backward castes. Then, why the Centre is ignoring it is not understandable.

Tejashwi also raised this issue in the Bihar Assembly and requested the Speaker for discussion in the Question Hour. However, Speaker Vijay Sinha disallowed him from doing so. He asked Tejashwi Yadav to discuss the matter later in the day.

Continue Reading

National News

Won’t discuss cabinet expansion in first meet, says Basavaraj Bommai

Published

on

Basavaraj-Bommai

Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai on Thursday said that he won’t discuss cabinet expansion with leaders in New Delhi in the first meeting. “I have sought appointments with central leaders and if it comes through I will leave for New Delhi on Friday,” he said.

“Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Home Minister Amit Shah wished me yesterday. I will meet them along with party president J.P. Nadda and other top leaders to convey my regards,” he stated.

He maintained that the pulls and pressures during the formation of the cabinet are normal and the party will take right decisions.

Sources explained that the high command will take some time before giving green signal to cabinet expansion as it is being planned to let go of senior leaders who had held major portfolios.

Chief Minister Bommai is scheduled to visit the flood affected regions of Karwar district on Thursday. He will reach Hubli from Bengaluru and from there he will visit the flood ravaged district.

“Rain has caused much destruction in Uttara Kannada (Karwar) district. Three persons have been killed due to floods. After the visit, I will hold a meeting with officers and discuss the relief measures,” he explained.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending