Connect with us


NRI man from HP hangs self in Delhi hotel




A 43-year-old man from Himachal Pradesh, who had come to India from Dubai in January but could not return due to Covid-19 restrictions, hanged himself in a central Delhi hotel, police said on Saturday.

Deceased Balwinder Singh’s kin alleged that he took the extreme step due to a fake visa racket he fell for.

Balwinder Singh and three others arrived in Delhi on Thursday. He opted to stay separately in a Nabi Karim hotel where he ended his life.

When he did not order breakfast and lunch, the hotel staff became suspicious and called police who found him hanging in the room. A suicide note was found from his possession.

“He was found hanging from a ceiling fan with his turban on Friday afternoon. We rushed him to the RML Hospital but he was declared brought dead. A suicide note running into 10 pages was seized, in which he said that no one is responsible for his death. However, we are verifying the suicide note,” said Sanjay Bhatia, DCP Central.

The police said that his family, including brothers, have ruled out any foul play though some relatives suspect that he along with three others was duped by a man on the pretext of arranging visas.

“Balwinder had taken approximately Rs 1.5 lakh each from the three men who accompanied him to Delhi from Mandi for visas. He was in touch with a man on mobile phone for visas. After reaching Delhi, the man did not pick up the phone. It may be one of the reasons for his extreme step,” said a relative.

Balwinder was working in a Dubai firm for around 10 years. He is survived by his wife and three children.

The body has been sent for post-mortem. Inquest proceedings under Section 174 of the CrPC are on.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


NIA gets 15-day custody of PDP youth wing chief Waheed Parra




A Special NIA court on Friday sent Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Youth Wing President Waheed Parra to 15-day NIA custody in connection with its probe in the former Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Davinder Singh and Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Naveed Babu case.

An NIA official related to the probe told IANS, “A J&K court has sent Parra to 15 days NIA custody.”

The development comes two days after Parra was arrested by the NIA.

According to the NIA officials, Parra was arrested for supporting Hizbul Mujahideen activities in conspiracy with arrested terrorist Naveed Babu and another key accused Irfan Safi Mir.

Before his arrest, Parra was questioned by the anti-terror probe agency on Monday.

He has recently filed his nomination for the upcoming District Development Council elections in the Union Territory.

Parra was instrumental in the revival of the PDP in south Kashmir, especially in the militancy-affected Pulwama district of Kashmir.

Singh and Babu were arrested on January 11 this year while they were travelling together from Srinagar to Jammu.

Earlier in the day, PDP chief and former Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti alleged that she was detained, and even her daughter has been put under house arrest to prevent them from visiting Parra’s family after he was arrested by the NIA.

Continue Reading


It’s tense: Police use tear gas, water cannons & farmers pelt stones at Singhu




While one group of farmers prepared lunch for the protesters at Singhu on Delhi-Haryana border, another group launched stones after waiting for hours to secure entry inside the national capital.

According to reports, a Delhi Police personnel has been injured in the stone pelting incident.

Following which the tear gas shells were lobbed by the Delhi Police besides gushes of waters from cannons positioned to disperse the agitating farmers.

Not just the Delhi Police but farmers too have been innovative in trying to move blockades from their path. They hit a police van using a truck to remove the blockade.

The Delhi Police then resorted to mild lathi-charge.

The farmers on Friday clashed with Delhi Police personnel at Singhu after they were continued to be barred from an entrance to protest against the controversial Agriculture Bills.

Thousands of farmers have assembled at the border along Delhi but they have been stopped from marching in.

As they increase in volume coming from six states after night halts on the way, it has been hours and none of the side are ready to retreat.

As the farmers assembled near the barricades with barbed wires put by Delhi Police, the police fired several shots of tear gas shells to disperse the agitating farmers.

Following the tear gas shell firing by Delhi Police, the farmers also pelted stones on the police force which have been deployed at the Delhi-Haryana border.

Continue Reading


Rajiv Gandhi assassination convict AG Perarivalan’s parole again extended




The Supreme Court on Friday extended the parole of AG Perarivalan, a convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case, for one more week for medical treatments.

A bench headed by Justice L. Nageswara Rao made it clear that this is the last extension of parole for Perarivalan, who has been out since November 9 on medical grounds.

Tamil Nadu will also provide police escort to Perarivalan in the hospital.

The bench said Perarivalan may be taken to any medical facility that he needs, and asked his counsel to suggest his client to visit CMC Vellore for the treatment. “After one week he shall be taken to jail,” said the bench.

Perarivalan also sought extension of his parole by 90 days which was objected by Tami Nadu government counsel.

The Tamil Nadu government counsel said 30 days parole is allowed in 2 years and he has already availed 51 days. The counsel added that he has a hospital 25 km away, instead he wants to go to a hospital which is 200 km away and these facts are not presented before the court.

On November 23, the Supreme Court had extended Perarivalan’s parole by one week for medical check-up. The top court asked the Tamil Nadu government to provide police protection to him in the hospital.

Senior Advocate Gopal Sankaranarayanan, representing Perarivalan, had submitted before the top court that parole was given on November 9, which was later extended by Madras High Court to November 23. “He also requested for police escort for medical exams. If the state can grant parole for another week,” Sankaranarayanan had submitted.

The bench said it will hear the matter on the next date for final disposal and extended the parole for a week and directed the Tamil Nadu government to provide protect to him during medical check-up.

The order from the top court came after the Central Bureau of Investigation submitted it does not oppose his release of the convict and the Tamil Nadu Governor can decide on it.

On November 3, the Supreme Court expressed its dissatisfaction over the pendency of pardon-plea of a convict in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case for over two years with the Tamil Nadu Governor.

Continue Reading