Connect with us
Tuesday,25-January-2022

Maharashtra

New letter-writing trend is political conspiracy: Shiv Sena

Published

on

Sanjay-Raut

A new trend of letter-writing by accused in jails has started in Maharashtra which is a political conspiracy intended to defame and destabilize the Maha Vikas Aghadi government, Shiv Sena MP and Chief Spokesperson Sanjay Raut said here on Thursday.

In his first reaction after the ‘letter-grenade’ lobbed by arrested-suspended Assistant Police Inspector Sachin Vaze levelling several allegations against the MVA ministers, Raut said that these efforts to dislodge the government are on since day one.

“The real faces of those who are trying to sabotage the state government are coming to the fore. A new trend has begun of people in jail writing letters which are used to hammer the government. There are many others in jail and a lot can be written from them also. This kind of dirty politics is unprecedented in the history of state and the country,” Raut said.

In Vaze’s letter, the names of former Home Minister Anil Deshmukh, Transport Minister Anil Parab and Deputy Chief Minister Ajit Pawar have cropped up.

“But who is taking these names. It (letter) is written in prison by a person who is jailed for the crime and is now being trumpeted as ‘evidence’. This is nothing by a political conspiracy,” Raut added sharply.

He called upon the Opposition to clarify the antecedents of the person writing the letter, how saintly or notorious he is and whether the letter itself is genuine or not.

Defending Parab, the Sena MP said that he could never be involved in such activities and ‘then take a false oath in the name of Balasaheb Thackeray’.

“It is unfortunate that the so-called National Investigation Agency (NIA) is laying the red carpet for the opposition to shake the MVA government. But their intentions will not succeed,” Raut warned.

The Sena MP’s reactions came a day after a letter written on April 3 by Vaze to the Special NIA Judge came into the public domain in which he has made certain allegations of corruption against Deshmukh, Parab, Ajit Pawar as the tainted policeman was sent to NIA custody till April 9.

Maharashtra

Can reduce Juhi Chawla’s 5G suit fine, but on one condition: Delhi HC

Published

on

By

The Delhi High Court on Tuesday said it will consider reducing actress-environmentalist Juhi Chawla’s fine – slapped for abuse of the process of law in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology – from Rs 20 lakh to Rs 2 lakh on the condition she does some service for the public.

A division bench of Justice Vipin Sanghi and Justice Jasmeet Singh said: “We will make it Rs 2 lakh but that comes with another condition. Considering that your client is a celebrity, she should do some public work. Her status should be implied for some good of society. She could do a programme for the Delhi Legal Services Authority (DLSA).”

Representing Chawla, senior advocate Salman Khurshid, argued that the petitioner had raised a genuine concern on the impact of 5G technology on the human body. If the cost amount could be waived, his client could go back to pursue the cause, he said.

Later, he said he would seek her instructions on the suggestion made by the court.

Further, issuing notice to the DLSA Secretary, the court listed the case for further hearing on January 27.

On January 21, the DSLSA approached the court seeking the execution of the order, in which Chawla and two others were directed to deposit Rs 20 lakh fine imposed in relation to a lawsuit challenging 5G wireless network technology.

On June 4 last year, Justice J.R. Midha had dismissed her lawsuit against the setting up of 5G wireless networks in the country. Her plea stated the levels of RF radiation are 10 to 100 times greater than the existing levels. It also claimed that the 5G wireless technology can be a potential threat to provoke irreversible and serious effects on humans and it could also permanently damage the earth’s ecosystems.

The court had held that the suit filed by Chawla and two others were defective, non-maintainable, and also contained unverified and vexatious assertions and also imposed the fine.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Maha BJP MLA Nitesh Rane moves SC for anticipatory bail

Published

on

By

BJP’s Maharashta MLA Nitesh Rane, the son of Union Minister Narayan Rane, has moved the Supreme Court, seeking anticipatory bail in an attempt to murder lodged against him in Sindhudurg district last month.

Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, representing Rane, mentioned the matter for urgent hearing before a bench headed by Chief Justice N.V. Ramana, submitting that the matter is a result of political rivalry. After hearing brief submissions, the bench agreed to consider the request to list the matter urgently.

Rane has challenged the January 17 order of the Bombay High Court, declining to entertain his plea seeking anticipatory bail, before the top court. The matter is connected with a road rage incident, which occurred in December last year. The complainant alleged that his motorcycle was hit by a car without a number plate and claimed he heard one of the occupants say “should inform Gotya Sawant and Nitesh Rane”.

The Maharashtra Police had given an oral assurance before the high court that Rane would not be arrested till Monday. However, Nitish claimed the case was registered to stop him from participating in the Sindhudurg District Co-operative Bank elections.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

PM condoles loss of lives in Maha accident

Published

on

By

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday expressed deep grief over the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. The Prime Minister has also announced an ex-gratia from the Prime Minister’s National Relief Fund (PMNRF) for the victims.

In a series of tweets, the Prime Minister’s Office tweeted, “Pained by the loss of lives due to an accident near Selsura in Maharashtra. In this hour of sadness, my thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones. I pray that those injured are able to recover soon: PM.”

In another tweet, the PMO said, “PM @narendramodi announced that Rs. 2 lakh each from PMNRF would be given to the next of kin of those who have lost their lives in the accident near Selsura. Those who are injured would be given Rs. 50,000.”

At least seven medical students, including the son of a BJP legislator, were killed in a major road accident on the highway in Wardha district of Maharashtra early on Tuesday.

According to a police official, the accident took place when they were travelling in an SUV from Yavatmal to Wardha. At one stretch as the SUV sped on a bridge near Selsura, the driver lost control over the vehicle and it plunged into the river below. All the victims were students of the Sangavi Medical College.

Continue Reading

Trending