Connect with us


Missing Mumbai blast accused ‘Dr Bomb’ arrested from Kanpur



Jalees Ansari

Infamous ‘Dr Bomb’ Jalees Ansari, convicted in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case, was arrested by Uttar Pradesh Police Special Task Force (STF) from Kanpur on Friday after he jumped parole and went missing.

Uttar Pradesh Director General of Police O.P. Singh said that Ansari was arrested while he was coming out of a mosque in Kanpur.

A missing person complaint had been filed by Ansari’s family on Thursday in Mumbai.

The DGP said: “He had been out on parole. His arrest is a major achievement for the state police.”

The 68-year-old convict of the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case had been serving a life term. He was on parole for 21 days from the Ajmer Central Prison, Rajasthan, and was expected to surrender before prison authorities on Friday.

During the parole period, he was ordered to visit the Agripada Police Station everyday between 10.30 a.m. and 12 p.m. to mark his attendance.

However, Jalees Ansari did not visit the police station on Thursday during the designated time and his 35-year-old son Jaid Ansari approached the police station with a complaint about his “missing” father.

According to the complaint, Jalees Ansari woke up in the early hours and told family members he was going to offer namaz, but did not return home.

On the son’s complaint, the Agripada Police registered a complaint.

The Crime Branch of the Mumbai Police and the Maharashtra ATS had launched a massive manhunt to trace him. The Uttar Pradesh Police received a tip-off about his presence in Kanpur.

Jalees Ansari, known as Doctor Bomb in the underworld, was allegedly connected with terror outfits like SIMI and Indian Mujahideen and taught terror groups how to make bombs.

He was also questioned by the NIA in 2011 in connection with the 2008 bomb blast in Mumbai, the DGP said.

On Thursday, his family members complained to the Agripada Police Station that he had gone to offer ‘namaz’ at 5 a.m. and then went ‘missing’, his phone switched off and no trace anywhere.

The Mumbai Police alerted the Maharashtra ATS and others on Thursday and a massive manhunt was launched to trace and arrest Ansari.

A medico by profession, Ansari, who served with the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation at one point of time, had undergone terror and explosives training in Pakistan in the early 1990s.

He was finally convicted for the Jaipur serial blasts, Ajmer blast and Malegaon blast case and awarded a life sentence in jail.

Besides, Ansari was reportedly involved in several other blasts in Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad and other places ostensibly as vendetta for the felling of the Babri Mosque in Ayodhya in 1992.

Influenced by a terror mastermind Abdul Karim Tunda, Ansari had developed expertise in timer devices and TNT bombs, besides creating terror modules for IM, HuJI, SIMI, indoctrinating more to their cause, etc.


Confronted over extra marital affair, man kills wife




A 29-year-old woman was strangled by her husband after she confronted him over his alleged extra marital affair in Delhi’s Paharganj. The woman was found in an unconscious state on Thursday morning with ligature marks on her neck. When she was rushed to the hospital she was declared brought dead.

Suspicion fell on the husband as the children of the deceased were with their grandparents and the husband was missing post midnight.

A photo of the deceased’s husband was taken from their house and the police began to trace the suspect.

The accused Sunny, an e-rickshaw driver, tried to flee in his vehicle. The police team started stopping e-rickshaw drivers in the vicinity and tried to identify the suspect through his photograph.

Meanwhile, a policeman saw a person who turned around his e-rickshaw and tried to escape from the spot where the team was checking the vehicles but the police team apprehended the suspect.

“During interrogation, the suspect confessed to having strangulated his wife with her chunni after having a heated altercation over the issue of his extra marital relation,” said Sanjay Bhatia, DCP Central Delhi.

Continue Reading


4 people killed as building collapses in Punjab




Four people were killed as a commercial building in a residential area collapsed in Punjab’s Dera Bassi town near here on Thursday, police said.

The rescue operation was over but officials suspected that some more people might be trapped under the debris.

A team of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) carried out the rescue operation.

The building in Mira Malli Mohalla collapsed after the roof on the second floor caved in, NDRF Director General Satya Narayan Pradhan informed in a tweet.

Local legislator N.K. Sharma said the building was constructed in violation of laws.

“The Municipal Committee office is located just a stone’s throw away from the disaster spot. This indicates that the construction was undertaken in connivance of municipal officials,” he told the media at the spot.

Nearby residents said the illegal construction of shops led to the collapse of the building.

Continue Reading


Advocate shot dead in Srinagar




Suspected terrorists shot dead an advocate at his residence in Srinagar on Thursday evening, officials said.

According to reports, Babar Qadri, an advocate who also appeared in TV debates, was shot by gunmen from close range at his residence at Hawal in downtown Srinagar.

Additional police teams have reached the spot. The area has been cordoned off and a search operation has begun to nab the assailants.

Continue Reading