Connect with us
Saturday,24-July-2021

Crime

Mehul Choksi trial adjourned as his health declines

Published

on

Mehul-Choksi

The trial of the fugitive businessman Mehul Choksi, who is wanted in India in the Rs 13,500 crore Punjab National Bank (PNB) fraud case has been adjourned to June 25 due to decline in his health condition, local media reported.

The trial was expected to begin in the Roseau Magistrate court on Monday, Dominica News Online, a news outlet in Caribbean island said.

At the hearing, two of Dominica’s top criminal attorneys were added to Choksi’s legal team for this matter. Zena Moore-Dyer and her daughter Gina Dyer-Munro have joined Julien Prevost, Wayne Norde and Cara Shillingford-Marsh.

The defence attorneys presented to the court a medical document which stated that Choksi is incapacitated and as a result, he was unable to attend the proceeding, it said.

It further said that the prosecution team also saw the addition of Harpreet Singh Giani, an Indian-born lawyer based in London, who said he appears as a consultant to the prosecution on the matter.

The States case is led by the acting Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) Sherma Dalrymple, with assistance from attorney-at-law Lennox Lawrence, Jodie Luke and Heather Felix Evans.

On June 2, the 62-year-old diamantaire pleaded not guilty to illegal entry in Dominica.

According to the charges of the police, Choksi entered Dominica illegally on May 24, 2021, at Toucari Beach. However his attorneys alleged that he was kidnapped, beaten and unwillingly brought to Dominica from Antigua.

Choksi is remanded in police custody at the Dominica China Friendship Hospital (DCFH) where he has been a patient since May 29, 2021.

On June 11, a high court judge denied bail to the alleged fugitive on the basis that he is a “flight risk.”

Choksi had gone missing on May 23 from Antigua sparking a massive manhunt. He was reportedly captured in Dominica.

On June 8, the Indian authorities described Choksi as an Indian citizen in its affidavit filed in Dominican High Court, saying that his application for renunciation of citizenship was “rejected”.

It also noted that he is therefore erroneously claiming renunciation of citizenship under the Citizenship Act, 1955.

He had taken the citizenship of Antigua in 2017 and left India on January 4, 2018 days before the bank loan fraud case came to light.

Crime

33-year-old man commits suicide in Gurugram

Published

on

Noose

A 33-year-old man allegedly committed suicide by hanging himself inside a private company’s premises in IMT Manesar Sector-2, Gurugram, on Saturday afternoon. However, no suicide note has been recovered. Manesar police have sent the body for autopsy and are probing the case.

The deceased has been identified as Pawan Kataria, a resident of Samalkha in Sonipat.

According to police the victim used to work in the company’s lab and was a permanent employee. His colleagues found his body inside the lab room and informed the police.

During a preliminary probe, the police have ruled out any foul play and said the exact cause of death would be known only after the autopsy report comes.

“Statements of family members and his colleagues were being recorded to ascertain the reasons behind the extreme step taken by the victimy,” Varun Singla, Deputy Commissioner of Police (Manesar), told IANS.

Continue Reading

Crime

Taliye village of Raigad devastated by landslide, population of 120 people, 49 dead, 47 missing

Published

on

By

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-24 at 1.03.20 PM

Heavy rains, floods and landslides have cause great damage in Maharashtra. So far 136 people have been confirmed dead in different different incidents. But the most painful accident happened in Taliye village of Mahad taluka of Raigad district, where 49 people have died. Here 12 people are still injured, while 47 others are said to be missing. See the scene in the pictures.. This incident of landslide happened in Raigad’s Taliye on Thursday evening. Relief and rescue work is on. Milind Gangwane, a resident here, said, ‘The disaster alert was not issued to the villagers by the government and the administration. Our small village has a population of 120 peoples only. The stone fell from a height of 100 feet from the mountain.

He also told that they were shifted to a safer place 4-5 days ago by the local administration but they returned when the rains subsided. Several people have died in separate incidents of floods and landslides in Raigad, Satara, Ratnagiri. At the same time, a resident of Taliye named Ankita told- My house was broken. This had never happened before. People had built new houses and took loans for the same. Everything is over. The opposition BJP accused the leaders of the ruling party and the administration of not taking action on time and not reaching even after 20 hours of the incident. At the same time, the NDRF team, which came from Mumbai via helicopter, had to return due to non-availability of landing place from the administration.

There is a red alert in Raigad, Konkan and Satara for the next two days. Kolhapur, Ratnagiri and Sindhudurg are on Orange Alert. River Panchganga in Kolhapur, Kajali and Muchkundi in Ratnagiri, Krishna river and Koyna dam as well as Vishishti river are still flowing above the danger mark. Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray has announced interim assistance of Rs 5 lakh each to the families of the deceased in rain-related accidents. The central government will give Rs 2 lakh to the families of dead person and Rs 50,000 to the injured. Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray took the look of the situation by reaching the emergency control room of Mantralaya.

Continue Reading

Crime

CBI raids multiple locations in Jammu and Kashmir gun license scam

Published

on

Gun. (File Photo: IANS)

The CBI on Saturday carried out raids at multiple places including the official residence of an IAS officer in Jammu and Kashmir in connection with the gun licences racket being investigated by the agency.

Official sources said the CBI carried out raids at 12 places in the Valley and 10 places outside in connection with the issuance of gun licenses racket being investigated by it.

Sources said CBI also raided the official residence of IAS officer, Shahid Iqbal Choudhary in Srinagar in addition to the office/factory of a gun manufacturer in Rainawari area of the city.

The gun licences issuance racket was transferred to the CBI after the J&K anti-corruption bureau (ACB) registered an FIR against the racket.

Last year, another IAS officer, Rajiv Ranjan and a senior J&K cadre officer, Itrat Hussain Rafique were arrested by the CBI in connection with the same investigation for misuse of their official position during their tenure as deputy commissioners in Kupwara district of the Valley.

This racket is believed to be India’s biggest gun licences racket in which thousands of gun licences were issued on monetary consideration even to people living outside J&K.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending