Connect with us
Tuesday,26-January-2021

National News

Make call records of Vikas Dubey public: Samajwadi Party

Published

on

Vikas Dubey.

The Samajwadi Party (SP) has demanded that the call detail records of gangster Vikas Dubey, the main accused in the killing of eight policemen in Kanpur, should be made public.

“The state government should make the call details of the gangster public so that people can know the names of leaders who were in touch with the criminal. Vikas Dubey is now being termed as a terrorist and it is important for everyone to know about those leaders who were giving him protection,” said SP MLC Sunil Singh Sajan.

Sajan claimed that the police had failed to trace Dubey even after five days of the killing of police personnel.

“He could be hiding in the house of a BJP leader for all you know. Thorough searches must be carried out and his links must be made public without delay,” he said.

The SP leader said that the fact that Vikas Dubey’s name was not included in the top criminal list of Kanpur, shows that he enjoyed patronage from the ruling party.

It is noteworthy that in a video clip that went viral on Monday, Dubey was seen talking about his links with BJP MLAs Abhijeet Sanga and Bhagwati Sagar.

He said that the two leaders had helped him when he faced police action in 2017.

Abhijeet Sanga has vehemently denied having any links with the gangster. “My constituency is Bithoor in Kanpur and people from the adjoining village come to me for help. In fact, several times I have recommended action in cases where Vikas Dubey was supporting the other parties,” he said.

Sanga further said that it was typical of Dubey to align himself with political leaders belonging to the ruling parties.

Bhagwati Sagar, BJP MLA from Bilhaur, meanwhile, said that he had not pleaded in any case against Dubey. He said that this was an attempt to malign his image.

Both the MLAs said that Dubey video should be investigated.

Crime

Farmers’ tractor rally turns violent near ITO, police resort to lathi charge

Published

on

Dramatic scenes were witnessed on Tuesday after the agitating farmers clashed with the Delhi Police near ITO intersection in central Delhi, with the police firing the tear gas shells and resorting to lathi charge to disperse the farmers.

The farmers, who started their ‘Kisan Gantantra parade’ much ahead of their scheduled timing entered the national capital defying the agreement of the scheduled time of tractor rally and creating multiple fronts at Karnal Bypass, Mukarba Chowk, Transport Nagar, Akshardham, Gazipur and Tikri border and some farmers armed with swords were also seen clashing with the police.

As soon as the farmers reached ITO intersection and tried to move towards the Red Fort, many of the farmers clashed with the police personnel and attacked them with sticks and iron rods. The farmers also damaged several vehicles with their tractors.

Following the violence from the farmers, the police fired tear gas shells on the farmers and also resorted to lathi charge multiple times.

After the lathi charge from the police, the farmers left their tractors and rushed to take cover.

Meanwhile, some farmers tried to crush the policemen with their tractors. Several tractors were seen charging towards the police personnel deployed at the ITO one after another. The farmers also pelted stones of the police personnel.

Many of the farmers and the police personnel were left injured in the clashes.

Earlier in the day, farmers comprising mostly youths entered the national capital from the Delhi-Uttar Pradesh Ghazipur border after breaking the barricades and clashed with the police near Akshardham intersection of east Delhi.

Some farmers armed with swords were also seen clashing with the police after damaging the trucks and DTC buses that were parked to stop them to enter towards central Delhi.

Police fired tear gas shells on the farmers after they entered Sanjay Gandhi Transport Nagar from Delhi-Haryana Singhu border.

The visuals of the men riding horses were seen at the Karnal Bypass while the protesters were also seen breaking barricades at Singhu and Mukarba Chowk.

On Sunday, Delhi Police had allowed the tractor rally after the annual Republic Day parade.

Earlier, during the talks with the police, the protesters were told they could not disrupt the celebrations at Rajpath even as the farmers insisted their parade would be “peaceful”.

However, going back on their promise, the farmers broke barricades and started the rally much before the scheduled time.

Continue Reading

National News

‘Jai Hind’, Narendra Modi wishes nation on Republic Day

Published

on

Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Tuesday extended his greetings to the citizens of India as the country marked its 72nd Republic Day.

In a tweet both in English and Hindi, the Prime Minister said: “Wishing all the people of India a Happy Republic Day… Jai Hind.”

On this day in 1950, the Constitution of India came into force.

The Prime Minister is scheduled to visit the National War Memorial near the India Gate later in the day, from where he will lead the nation in paying solemn tributes to the fallen heroes by laying a wreath.

Thereafter, the Prime Minister and other dignitaries will head to the saluting dais at Rajpath to witness the 90-minute-long Republic Day parade ceremony.

Continue Reading

National News

Lalu Prasad seeks bail in Jharkhand High Court

Published

on

RJD-chief-Lalu-Prasad

Former Bihar Chief Minister Lalu Prasad’s lawyer on Monday filed a reply in the Jharkhand High Court and sought bail for the RJD President.

In the reply, Devarshi Mandal, the lawyer of Lalu Prasad, argued that his client has completed half of the sentence period in jail and he should be granted bail.

He argued that Lalu Praasd has spent 42 months and 23 days in jail, which is half of his seven-year jail term. Mandal also appealed for an early hearing on the bail petition.

The reply was filed in connection with the Dumka treasury fraud case, in which Lalu Peasad has been awarded a prison sentence of seven years.

Sources in the CBI said that two seven-year sentences have been awarded to Lalu Prasad, which amount to 14 years. The CBI may oppose the bail plea on the same ground.

Lalu Prasad has been convicted in four fodder scam cases with a prison sentence of up to 14 years.

At present, the RJD strongman is undergoing treatment at the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in New Delhi.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending