Connect with us


Maharashtra Covid tally crosses 16L; deaths and cases plummet




Maharashtra’s Covid-19 tally crossed the 16 lakh mark even as deaths and new cases continued to plummet, health officials said here on Monday,

The state witnessed 125 deaths on Monday — around 25 per cent compared to the peak of 515 deaths reported on September 15 — taking the state’s death toll to 42,240.

The state reported 5,984 new cases in the last 24 hours — around 25 per cent lower than the peak single-day tally of 24,886 reported on September 11 — taking the state’s Covid tally past the 16 lakh mark to 16,01,365.

Covid-19 cases and fatalities in Maharashtra are among the lowest in the past nearly four months, proving a great relief to the health authorities.

On another positive, the state’s recovery rate continued to soar, increasing from 85.86 per cent to 86.48 per cent – while the current mortality rate remained stable at 2.64 per cent.

Simultaneously, 15,069 fully recovered patients returned home – taking up the total number of discharged patients to 13,84,879 till date – much higher than the 173,759 active cases currently present in the state.

As per Monday’s figures, there was one death roughly every 11.5 minutes and 249 new cases added every hour to the state’s tally.

Of the 125 deaths reported on Monday, Mumbai had one-third share at 43 fatalities, followed by Pune (15), Thane (14), Solapur (7), Amravati and Nagpur (6 each), Jalna (5), Ahmednagar, Sangli and Nanded (4 each), Kolhapur (3), Raigad, Nashik and Satara (2 each), and Palghar, Jalgaon, Ratnagiri, Aurangabad, Akola, Yavatmal, Chandrapur and Gadchiroli (1 each).

Remaining in the sub-50 range for the 18th day this month, Mumbai recorded 43 fatalities, taking the city’s toll to 9,819, while the number of cases shot up by 1,234 — the highest in the state for the day — to 143,169.

Of the total 8 circles, Mumbai circle (MMR, comprising Mumbai, Thane, Palghar and Raigad) remains on the edge as deaths spiral and cases pile up due to the contagion.

MMR’s fatalities shot up by 60 to 17,331, while 2,405 new cases took the circle’s Covid tally to 555,786.

With another 24 fatalities, the Pune circle’s (comprising Pune, Solapur and Satara districts) death toll zoomed to 9,213, while daily infections increased by the lowest in recent weeks – 895 – to 410,630.

Nashik circle has so far recorded 4,100 deaths and 214,394 cases, followed by Kolhapur circle’s 3,515 fatalities and 105,645 cases, and Nagpur circle’s 3,346 deaths and 137,676 cases.

Latur circle has recorded 1,909 deaths and 65,757 cases, Aurangabad circle has 1,515 fatalities and 59,645 cases, followed by Akola circle’s 1,173 deaths and 49,835 cases.

The number of people sent to home quarantine increased from 24,12,921 to 24,14,577 now, while the number of those in institutional quarantine went down from 23,384 to 23,285 on Monday.


Rajkot police forms 3-member SIT to probe hospital fire




The Rajkot police commissioner has formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the fire incident in a private hospital in Rajkot, which claimed the lives of five corona patients on Friday.

Rajkot Police Commissioner Manoj Agrawal has formed the three-member SIT to probe the fire at the Uday Shivanand multispeciality hospital.

According to sources in the police, the SIT will be headed by the DCP zone 2, Manoharsinh Jadeja. The two other members of the team are of the rank of an ACP and a Police Inspector (PI) Special Operations Group (SOG).

The Malviyanagar police station in Rajkot registered a complaint of ‘Accidental death’ over the incident. The probe team will be looking for the cause of the fire and other details and hand over the report to the Rajkot police commissioner. The state government will be taking action on the basis of the police commissioner’s report.

Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani announced a compensation of Rs 4 lakh each to the kin of all the five victims. The CM has also ordered an inquiry into the incident and entrusted it to the additional chief secretary, panchayat and rural development, A K Rakesh.

The fire broke out in the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) of the designated Covid-19 hospital in the early hours of Friday around 3 a.m.

The fire is believed to have been caused by a short circuit.

Continue Reading


NIA gets 15-day custody of PDP youth wing chief Waheed Parra




A Special NIA court on Friday sent Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Youth Wing President Waheed Parra to 15-day NIA custody in connection with its probe in the former Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Davinder Singh and Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Naveed Babu case.

An NIA official related to the probe told IANS, “A J&K court has sent Parra to 15 days NIA custody.”

The development comes two days after Parra was arrested by the NIA.

According to the NIA officials, Parra was arrested for supporting Hizbul Mujahideen activities in conspiracy with arrested terrorist Naveed Babu and another key accused Irfan Safi Mir.

Before his arrest, Parra was questioned by the anti-terror probe agency on Monday.

He has recently filed his nomination for the upcoming District Development Council elections in the Union Territory.

Parra was instrumental in the revival of the PDP in south Kashmir, especially in the militancy-affected Pulwama district of Kashmir.

Singh and Babu were arrested on January 11 this year while they were travelling together from Srinagar to Jammu.

Earlier in the day, PDP chief and former Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti alleged that she was detained, and even her daughter has been put under house arrest to prevent them from visiting Parra’s family after he was arrested by the NIA.

Continue Reading


It’s tense: Police use tear gas, water cannons & farmers pelt stones at Singhu




While one group of farmers prepared lunch for the protesters at Singhu on Delhi-Haryana border, another group launched stones after waiting for hours to secure entry inside the national capital.

According to reports, a Delhi Police personnel has been injured in the stone pelting incident.

Following which the tear gas shells were lobbed by the Delhi Police besides gushes of waters from cannons positioned to disperse the agitating farmers.

Not just the Delhi Police but farmers too have been innovative in trying to move blockades from their path. They hit a police van using a truck to remove the blockade.

The Delhi Police then resorted to mild lathi-charge.

The farmers on Friday clashed with Delhi Police personnel at Singhu after they were continued to be barred from an entrance to protest against the controversial Agriculture Bills.

Thousands of farmers have assembled at the border along Delhi but they have been stopped from marching in.

As they increase in volume coming from six states after night halts on the way, it has been hours and none of the side are ready to retreat.

As the farmers assembled near the barricades with barbed wires put by Delhi Police, the police fired several shots of tear gas shells to disperse the agitating farmers.

Following the tear gas shell firing by Delhi Police, the farmers also pelted stones on the police force which have been deployed at the Delhi-Haryana border.

Continue Reading