Connect with us
Tuesday,19-October-2021

Crime

Koregaon-Bhima case: NIA says JNU, TISS students were recruited for terror

Published

on

National-Investigation-Agency

In a shocking revelation, the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has said that the accused in the Koregaon-Bhima and Elgar Parishad cases had allegedly recruited students of two top Indian universities for terror activities in the country and in Maharashtra.

The NIA statement comes in the draft charge sheet in the twin cases filed against 16 arrested accused and six other absconders in the sensational cases that have rocked the Indian polity for the past four years.

The draft charge sheet was filed before the NIA Special Court’s Special Judge D.E. Kothalikar last week after long investigations into the twin cases.

As per the NIA, the accused had “recruited students from various universities including the two highly reputed Jawaharlal Nehru University (New Delhi) and Tata Institute of Social Sciences (Mumbai) for commission of terrorist activities”.

They are accused of promoting the activities and ideologies of the banned outfits, mobilising people and students, training in handling sophisticated arms and explosives with the larger objective to conspire against and destabilise the government of India and Government of Maharashtra, threaten its sovereignty with large-scale violence, strike terror in the people, among other things.

For these objectives, the NIA said that the accused through the banned organisation and its frontal outfits, had arranged to raise Rs 8 crore for annual supplies of M-4 (sophisticated weapons) with 4,00,000 rounds and others arms from suppliers in Manipur and neighbouring country of Nepal to overawe and undermine the Centre and the Maharashtra governments.

The arrested accused in the cases are: Sudhir P. Dhawale, Vernon S. Gonsalves (both of Mumbai), Arun T. Fereira of Thane, Rona J. Wilson and Gautam Navlakha (all of New Delhi), Surendra P. Gadling, Shoma K. Sen, Mahesh S. Raut (all of Nagpur), P. Varavara Rao of Hyderabad, Sudha Bharadwaj of Faridabad, Anand B. Teltumbde of Yavatmal, Hany Babu M. Tharayil of Trichur, Sagar Gorkhe of Ahmednagar, Ramesh Gaichor of Pune, and the late Fr. Stan Lourduswamy of Tamil Nadu, who died on July 5 in Mumbai while in custody.

The accused named as absconders are: Milind Teltumbde aliases Dipak and Sahyadri of Yavatmal, Prakash Goswami aliases Navin and Ritupan Goswami of Assam, Kishan Bose aliases Prashanto of Kolkata, Mupalla Laxman Rao, alias Ganpati, Chandrashekhar, Manglu, and Deepu.

The NIA said that all the accused are ‘active members’ of the banned terrorist organisation CPI (Maoist) and its frontal organisations which were declared unlawful by the Union Home Ministry in 2009.

The frontal organisations listed by the NIA are: Kabir Kala Manch (which organised the Elgar Parishad at Pune on December 31, 2017, the alleged fallout of which were the caste riots in Koregaon-Bhima on January 1, 2018), Anuradha Ghandy Memorial Committee, Persecuted Prisoners Solidarity Committee, Committee for Protection of Democratic Rights, Peoples Union for Democratic Rights, Coordination of Democratic Rights Organisation, Democratic Students Union, Visthapan Virodhi Jan Vikas Andolan, and Revolutionary Writers Association.

Crime

Bhopal man arrested for raping 13-yr-old girl

Published

on

By

Minor-Rape-5

Bhopal Police on Monday arrested an accused for allegedly raping a 13-year-old girl. The matter came to light after a police complaint was registered. The accused has been arrested under sections 376 and 501 of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).

According to the police, the accused is known to the victim. He runs a grocery store where the victim used to visit to purchase goods.

According to the victim’s complaint lodged at Bhopal’s Sukhi Sevaniya police station, the accused invited the victim to his home on Saturday and allegedly raped her. He also threatened her of serious consequences if she told anyone about the incident.

However, after another person who knew the victim, came to know about the incident, she narrated the entire story to her parents.

Subsequently, they lodged a police compliant on Monday, a senior police official, Vijay Bahadur Singh, from Sukhi Sevaniya police station, told IANS.

“Further, investigation in the matter is underway,” he said.

Continue Reading

Crime

Sold for child labour, UP boy rescued from Amritsar

Published

on

By

Abducted by a truck driver and sold to a farmer for child labour in Amritsar, a 14-year-old boy finally managed to escape and was rescued by the ChildLine from the Amritsar railway station.

Satyendra, 14, was kidnapped three years ago by a truck driver who sold him to a farmer in Amritsar, police said.

Narrating his ordeal, Satyendra said, “There were around six other teenage boys from different states who were brought to the barn for labour. Our job was to feed cattle and keep the barn clean.

“We were given new identities and converted to other religions. I was called Shiva and was asked to wear a turban. They used to assault me and keep me starved if I insisted on leaving,” he told reporters after he was returned to his parents in Itaunja, on the outskirts of Lucknow on Wednesday.

Satyendra said that he was taken to Katrayaina Kala village which is on the outskirts of Amritsar city. “We were shackled before we went to sleep,” he said.

Sumit Yadav, Satyendra’s cousin who went to Amritsar to get him, said, “Itauja police did not lodge FIR even after a written complaint. For months, police kept on misleading the family and evaded questions about their son’s whereabouts. They never made an attempt to search for him.”

Continue Reading

Crime

UP court convicts 4 for planning terror attack

Published

on

By

court

A Chief Judicial Magistrate court in Lucknow has sentenced four accused to five years imprisonment after finding them guilty of planning terror activities and instigating youths to take up arms.

A fine of Rs 14,000 on each of the convicts has also been imposed by the court on Wednesday.

All the four persons were arrested by the UP ATS from different parts of the country in 2017.

Out of the four convicts, Mohd Faizan and Mohd Nazim are from Bijnor. One of the accused is from West Champaran in Bihar and the other from Unnao in Uttar Pradesh.

According to a statement released by the UP ATS, “The special judge ADJ (3) found them guilty of harming the internal and external security of the nation by fragmenting the unity, integrity and sovereignty of the country.”

According to Additional DG (law and order) Prashant Kumar, “The arrest was a major breakthrough for security agencies as the four accused were nabbed at a time when they were planning terror attacks by involving and instigating youths. They were also found with explosives and illegal weapons.”

Continue Reading

Trending